AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 12 November 2010 04:32 PM #181

Mace - 12 November 2010 08:16 PM
    Gregg Thurman - 12 November 2010 07:55 PM

If it does you’ll hear a large splash coming from Spokane, WA as I jump in with everything I have.

Your aggression scare me.  Jan $350?  All in?  I bought a couple of calls(Feb $310).

Speaking of aggressive, I bought more FMCC and FNMA common on the investment thesis that .gov would prefer to unwind their position rather than legislate. Once Freddie can make money on operations (excluding ACHI), the best option for .gov will be to exchange preferred into common. As the exchange takes place, the required principle of 10% dividend on the .gov preferred will unwind and Freddie will become profitable. The more money made, the more conversion into common stocks and lower the dividend payment. While this takes place the common will remain at a low value because of dilution. Notwithstanding, the take away is that .gov doesn’t need to fret over public opinion if they can show a profit for bailing out the GSEs while also backstopping housing?which is the best stimulus they could do.

Its a tinfoil hat trade.

[ Edited: 12 November 2010 04:37 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 12 November 2010 05:03 PM #182

Fat finger bought at $316.58.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 12 November 2010 05:07 PM #183

Mace - 12 November 2010 09:03 PM

it really stinks when adding extra zeros.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 12 November 2010 05:14 PM #184

Got some $310 Jan calls, because I don’t have enough gray hairs already.

Picked up some SVM, 15% off from its Tuesday high.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 12 November 2010 05:32 PM #185

Had something similar to one of those this year. Was in the car and off to a meeting before I realized what I had done. Cost me 3K before I got out of it. Luckily I was in the car so no one could hear me cussing myself out grin

Hopefully, this wasn’t too painful.
    Cheers,
    Mac

Posted: 12 November 2010 05:39 PM #186

Eric Landstrom - 12 November 2010 06:47 PM
    Gregg Thurman - 12 November 2010 06:38 PM

Never heard of Kent.  How many shares did they sell and at what price/when?

Eric Landstrom - 12 November 2010 06:05 PM

Kent’s fund sold AAPL which is why the dip happened.

typo. my bad. Here is the story:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1214774720101112

Eric, you should be ashamed of yourself. The headline serves your point, but substance shows that this article is as bad as the ipad article. I don’t care what he did in the 3rd qtr, he is the one upside down now. This was a day to just make stuff up if you did not have real news.

You sleep with the dog tonight. :bugeyed:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 12 November 2010 05:39 PM #187

Gregg Thurman - 12 November 2010 07:57 PM

Not a bad buy if you plan on selling mid January.

Hannibal - 12 November 2010 07:23 PM

Bought a bunch of Feb 280 calls at ~$37 when AAPL was heading south from $306. Seemed like a safe bet.

Seemed an efficient way to play an almost-certain blockbuster January earnings announcement while allowing for the risk of the usual Wall Street dysfunction. Plan to unload half during the run-up to the CC and the rest on the morning after.

With breakeven at $317 and expectations of >$350 around the January earnings announcement, I’m counting on a nice New Year’s present to myself. Used about half my available funds for today’s buy with the other half ready for bottom-fishing. Having had lots of options failures along with some good successes, I’ve settled into using medium-depth ITM calls to protect myself from the Hedgie Madness that often upset my former strategies.

Giving up some potential return but sleep better now.

Posted: 12 November 2010 05:46 PM #188

Hannibal - 12 November 2010 07:23 PM

Bought a bunch of Feb 280 calls at ~$37 when AAPL was heading south from $306. Seemed like a safe bet.

I have Jan 280’s, man I hate seeing them move so much. :-(

Signature

Posted: 12 November 2010 06:36 PM #189

ChasMac77 - 12 November 2010 09:32 PM

Had something similar to one of those this year. Was in the car and off to a meeting before I realized what I had done. Cost me 3K before I got out of it. Luckily I was in the car so no one could hear me cussing myself out grin

Hopefully, this wasn’t too painful.
    Cheers,
    Mac

Wasn’t me.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 12 November 2010 07:12 PM #190

mbeauch - 12 November 2010 09:39 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 12 November 2010 06:47 PM
    Gregg Thurman - 12 November 2010 06:38 PM

Never heard of Kent.  How many shares did they sell and at what price/when?

typo. my bad. Here is the story:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1214774720101112

Eric, you should be ashamed of yourself. The headline serves your point, but substance shows that this article is as bad as the ipad article. I don’t care what he did in the 3rd qtr, he is the one upside down now. This was a day to just make stuff up if you did not have real news.

You sleep with the dog tonight. :bugeyed:

Huh? Mark, I posted after after the market had begun to drop.

Signature

Posted: 12 November 2010 07:19 PM #191

Wasn’t me.

Sorry, wasn’t watching closely this afternoon. Stupid assumption! Good to hear, time for beer.

Posted: 12 November 2010 07:24 PM #192

ChasMac77 - 12 November 2010 11:19 PM

time for beer.

and guns?

Signature

Posted: 12 November 2010 11:22 PM #193

This is what I was talking about. Today’ dip could not have been because of Ken selling shares in Sept. Am I the only one who thinks this was related to weeklies?

I hear all about how retail is uberbullish, yet all I read and hear is fear over everything. FTR, there is no such thing as the retail investor in this market, just the damn bears looking to point fingers at anyone except them. CSCO killed the momentum, the rest was easy. I am not one to buy into the sentiment surveys, but if they Michigan had been 2 points lower the market would have been killed. Can you tell I am ill? This is mainstream media and all they do is mislead and distract.  :-x Man I wanna punch someone. :-x

Signature

Posted: 13 November 2010 01:15 AM #194

mbeauch - 13 November 2010 03:22 AM

This is what I was talking about. Today’ dip could not have been because of Ken selling shares in Sept. Am I the only one who thinks this was related to weeklies?

I hear all about how retail is uberbullish, yet all I read and hear is fear over everything. FTR, there is no such thing as the retail investor in this market, just the damn bears looking to point fingers at anyone except them. CSCO killed the momentum, the rest was easy. I am not one to buy into the sentiment surveys, but if they Michigan had been 2 points lower the market would have been killed. Can you tell I am ill? This is mainstream media and all they do is mislead and distract.  :-x Man I wanna punch someone. :-x

Ken is a whale. Both CNBC and Bloomberg stated today that AAPL was getting sold because news hit today that Ken sold.

Signature

Posted: 13 November 2010 01:41 AM #195

Eric Landstrom - 13 November 2010 05:15 AM

Ken is a whale. Both CNBC and Bloomberg stated today that AAPL was getting sold because news hit today that Ken sold.

I get that Eric, Reuters also ran it. That is exactly what I am talking about, misleading media. What significance does it have that he sold? It was not yesterday. Completely misleading. Many people just look at the headlines and don’t read the substance. the way I look at it s that he made a big mistake selling. Kind of makes you wonder if it was not him that had them rerun the story so he could get back in. He did not own enough shares at his high point to matter. My largest mutual fund owns 6 million shares of AAPL, now that would be news. Before today, he was at least $40 in the hole on AAPL.

I am going to have my anger issues once in a while. I know going in that the game is fixed, I just hate it when they rub my nose in it. My outlook going forward has not changed. The only way to get people back to work is for the market to expand.

Signature