AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 09 November 2010 10:13 AM #46

I just returned from Thailand on vacation.  It was my first visit to Bangkok.

MORE!  More about Thailand!  I’m close to buying a ticket myself, and wonder what were your favorite experiences there?

Posted: 09 November 2010 10:21 AM #47

zulu - 09 November 2010 02:13 PM

MORE!  More about Thailand!  I’m close to buying a ticket myself, and wonder what were your favorite experiences there?

Ah, Thailand! The Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok, the Oriental Spa across the river with private suites for lovebugs. Eternal bliss, guaranteed.

Posted: 09 November 2010 10:54 AM #48

Talk about being late to the party.

http://www.americanbankingnews.com/2010/11/08/robert-baird-initiates-coverage-on-shares-of-apple-nasdaq-aapl/

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 09 November 2010 10:59 AM #49

Apple acquires Bluetooth iOS headphone maker Wi-Gear??

“Apple is rumored to have bought Wi-Gear, a third-party accessory maker that has sold wireless Bluetooth headphones and adapters for iPhones and iPods.

The alleged acquisition reportedly took place about two months ago. Wi-Gear, maker of products like iMuffs, recently announced on its website it has “ceased operations and is no longer in business.”

The company’s co-founder, Michael Kim, has since become an Apple employee, taking the role of iOS Bluetooth Engineer, according to his Linkedin profile. Previously, he worked as a project manager and lead electrical engineer at Wi-Gear Inc.

However, the profile for Wi-Gear President and CEO Mark Pundsack has not been updated, and still states that he is with the now-defunct company.

Wi-Gear’s products included Bluetooth wireless headphones, and adapters for iPods and iPhones that do not come with integrated Bluetooth 2.0 support. The company specialized in making hardware for iOS devices.

Apple’s rumored acquisition has led to speculation that Apple could create its own line of wireless headphones that would work with future iPhones and iPods.”

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/11/09/apple_acquires_bluetooth_ios_headphone_maker_wi_gear_rumor.html

Posted: 09 November 2010 11:00 AM #50

zulu - 09 November 2010 02:13 PM

I have an idea. :-D

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 09 November 2010 11:08 AM #51

Apple has Airplay, a wi-fi type broadcaster, why pay money on yesterday’s tech (bluetooth).  Heck they should have bought Audioengine or something.  Bluetooth sounds crappy.

Posted: 09 November 2010 11:15 AM #52

zulu - 09 November 2010 03:08 PM

Apple has Airplay, a wi-fi type broadcaster, why pay money on yesterday’s tech (bluetooth).  Heck they should have bought Audioengine or something.  Bluetooth sounds crappy.

I don’t see anything small, like headphones or iPod adapter sized products.  And wi-fi is a bigger battery drain than bluetooth.

For remote, plugged-in speakers, wi-fi is great, but it’s not the answer to everything.

• Posted: 09 November 2010 11:18 AM #53

zulu - 09 November 2010 03:08 PM

I’m guessing (if true) that this is one where what they acquired was the talent.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 09 November 2010 11:20 AM #54

Here is the small one This makes me wonder if Apple’s Air Play technology will be adapted to headphones.

Posted: 09 November 2010 11:25 AM #55

Meanwhile, AGCO set another 52 week high.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 09 November 2010 11:38 AM #56

Mace - 09 November 2010 07:56 AM
    Mercel - 09 November 2010 06:54 AM

I just returned from Thailand on vacation.  It was my first visit to Bangkok ...

I’m about to propose Thailand as an alternative to Aruba!  Did you go to Chiang Mai?

No.  But I plan to next time.  Chiang Mei is the “soft” part of Thailand where I understand the people talk slower and offer a better “Land of Smile” experience.  I’ll share more later, along with some pics. You don’t have to hire a car there, as saying “Tuk Tuk” will hail a tricycle of sorts to whisk you to your destination.  However, I recommend a regular taxi, usually a Toyota in better shape than we see here in the U.S.

Great to see AAPL making another run—it just funded my next trip to Land of Smile..

• Posted: 09 November 2010 12:09 PM #57

And we are back to “iStuck” mode. Is this being pinned 320 already ?

Posted: 09 November 2010 12:15 PM #58

Today could be another day of a sideways consolidation or normal-moveout breakout a term coined from the oil industry. Would discuss at this point what are the scenarios for a possible impeding correction. Investors may be interested on how to position for the near future. There are around 42 closing days to the end of the year on favorable seasonality for stocks.

Opinions are welcome as others may have pieces of information that may not being taken into account in this exercise outline.

Technicals are very overbought and on the sentiment front, it?s getting on the giddy side. There are negative divergences on price and indexes. The CBOE equity put/call ratio spent two days under 0.5 last week while the index put/call ratio has hovered just above 1.00 lately. If technicals were to play, markets should be on a more pronounced pullback.

External conditions like mood after election and the $600 billion added liquidity are also being taken into account. Those are short term tailwinds for stocks moving higher.

A rally rarely runs more than a couple of months without a normal 3-5% correction. Spring?s rally lasted for 52 sessions from February 8 to April 23.  The current rally is in its 50th session since the SPX had the August low and next day, on August 27 FED?s Bernanke kicked off the rally with his Jackson Hole speech on QE2.

Then we have the death crossover of the 50 and 200 day moving averages on the SPX in July, followed three months later for a “golden” crossover. The golden cross was the one that showed more promising culminating with a new high for the year last week at 1227.08. Buyers should have jumped in as this brought in a new range for the last days and same happened to the DJI.  Volume is lower, we had only one big day after the QE2/elections announcements and instead of buying, no selling.

Expect one of two outcomes to the indecisive short term trend we are now. The sideways movement goes for more time, working the overbought condition we are now. We have a more pronounced pullback that will give us a 3-5% correction followed by new highs to the end of the year.

Tend to expect the first one, calling it normal-moveout breakout were shallow pullbacks are followed by sideways movements with dip buyers providing support to move back to break-even intradays. Today looks pretty much like this.

As for AAPL, cautiously believe it ended its consolidation and without catalysts and based on fundamentals and favorable seasonality will creep higher as it is doing now. Upper Bollinger 20 still at $322.15, so lots of room to run intraday. Will wait until it breaks through $321.30, the 52 week high to feel more confident. The low volume is to be considered, but March?s rally was done in low volume and players on sideline do want to see more before jumping in.

Everything should change if momentum fades and trend reverses, as AAPL should follow.

Posted: 09 November 2010 12:24 PM #59

Dollar is reversing now almost flat USDX 77.14 -0.03%

Posted: 09 November 2010 12:35 PM #60

Interestingly, the pickup truck buying index, a leading indicator, is up. When in use pickup trucks tend to do meaningful work and I’m not kidding, pickup truck purchases are a leading indicator.

For Ford fans, one tester recorded of the 2011 F150,

Ford’s estimates suggest the 3.5-liter EcoBoost will carry a $1750 premium over the base 3.7-liter V-6, or roughly $750 more than the 5.0-liter V-8. Exact mileage is also an unknown. Our guess is high teens in city driving, high twenties on the highway, and a combined rating of 22 or 23 mpg. Another piece of good news is that it runs fine on regular gas. Illustrating what can be achieved with feather-foot driving, we recorded over 32 mpg on a mileage test conducted over rolling Texas terrain.

If that 32 mpg has any truth in it, if a full size gas-engined truck can do better than 20 miles per gallon on the highway, Ford will sell them faster than free hot dish at the Minnesota State Fair. On a personal note, I was going to buy that shiny red 2010 F150 that I posted a couple of weeks ago until I learned about the wee little twin turbo Ford will be offering in the 2011 F150s. Plus I like the new 2011 dash better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYKFR_MGbqs&feature=related

In other news, while QE2 will be dilutive to the dollar and raise the cost of commodities relative to buying power, it is estimated that when household income is greater than $250K per year, QE2 will increase buying power because food and gas costs are small relative to household investments. QE2 dilutes the dollar thereby raising equity markets that distorts market bears by effectively causing less bears to put their bearish money to work?hence markets run higher. Once again plutocrats win!

Additionally, I’m informed that 25,000,000 Americans own their RE free and clear. I don’t know what to do with this fact yet other than recognizing that my neighborhood apparently has many neighbors.

[ Edited: 09 November 2010 12:54 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.