“We still have a few surprises left for the remainder of this calendar year.”  Was the Back to the Mac event it, or is there still “One More Thing”?

• Posted: 08 November 2010 04:38 PM #31

I feel that SJ has more in mind for the NC data center than just downloading movies and songs fo Macs and iTVs.  I believe that it is tied in to the pending upgrade to Snow Leopard and iOS 4.02.  Maybe SJ has a different perspective on whet the “CLOUD” should be, and he will reveal it soon.

I don’t believe that there will be any more product upgrades this year because it would disrupt the Christmas Season.  There is a remote chance that a totally new product will be announced.

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.

Posted: 08 November 2010 04:46 PM #32

westech - 08 November 2010 08:38 PM

I feel that SJ has more in mind for the NC data center than just downloading movies and songs fo Macs and iTVs.  I believe that it is tied in to the pending upgrade to Snow Leopard and iOS 4.02.  Maybe SJ has a different perspective on whet the “CLOUD” should be, and he will reveal it soon.

I don’t believe that there will be any more product upgrades this year because it would disrupt the Christmas Season.  There is a remote chance that a totally new product will be announced.

How right you are. There is something fishy going on in NC. I brought this up a while back with nobody having any real insight. Apple must hold at least one family member hostage until completion. :bugeyed:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 11 November 2010 02:51 PM #33

It has almost been forgotten that it was only a year ago that APPLE ABANDONED MACWORLD EXPO by not exhibiting and not attending.  One of the main purposes of this dramatic, curt action, was for Apple to gain total control over the TIMING (and expectations) of its announcements and product releases.
    So, IMO, whatever “thing” Apple next has up its sleeve to release, Apple will be very careful and purposeful about WHEN it releases it and will definitely take into consideration the holiday buying season.

Therefore, I don’t think that Apple will release anything new (and significant/major) for the rest of 2010, unless they can get it available for sale NOW (in the next week before Thanksgiving Friday) because the Holiday Buying Season is already upon us.  I don’t think they would risk negatively impacting their holiday sales in any way.  This is smart. (IMO, it’s too late for them to get anything out now:  this year’s big announcements are over.)

The only exception to this idea is if Apple intentionally decides to pre-announce something (a la Microsoft style—which is very contrary to Apple’s usual policy/MO)  in an effort to STOP people from purchasing a competitor’s product during the holiday sale and get them to hold off for a product coming out in early-2011.  (I think this is highly unlikely to occur.)

How about some SURPRISES from Apple:

A.  Announcing at YE that Apple & Jobs WILL attend Macworld this year.  (yeah, right!)

B.  Actually using this Macworld as the TIME to INTRODUCE some exciting new stuff, such as:
    (1) A consolidation to Lightwave in all new machines/devices.  An end to Apple’s use of some of these:  USB, Firewire, eSATA.  Guess it would keep Bluetooth…and Ethernet? Can Lightwave do display output/input and replace other display cables?
    (2) A new MacBook Pro similar to the new Macbook Air, but full featured and with backlit keyboard.
    (3) The announcement of all sorts of new CONVERTERS from “x” to Lightwave, so that older peripherals aren’t obsoleted.
    (this could happen)

What will scare me is the idea that Apple’s new Mac App Store (and new machines) would be shaped as the ONLY place and way to obtain and install software onto the new Macs.  I don’t mind if Apple opens a Mac App Store (and they will), but if they make it an EXCLUSIVE, rather than OPTIONAL, method, then I’m leaving the fold ASAP.  That’s not how I want to do my computing.

How about announcing that the new Thin Battery technology is being moved to a CONSUMER REPLACEABLE battery and slot?  (That announcement would warm my heart, but won’t happen!  Apple doesn’t care that we can’t replace the battery. It’s a non-issue for them, but not for me.  I’d rather have a battery that I can replace….and carry a second battery with me for travel purposes.)

How about BETTER BATTERY TECHNOLOGY so that a battery isn’t KILLED by simply running the computer hooked up to AC forever?

How about Apple getting that we want the CHOICE of having MATTE SCREENS on all and any displays we buy and use!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about an iPhone/etc in a WRIST WATCH/BRACELET form factor!  (Yeah!!!!!)

Better/easier SYNCING of personal, daily information across all of your devices!  And a better home data control center—Airport/network HD (with ports to hang off external HDs for backup purposes)—to wireless sync and flow all of your content/data to all of your devices….and the software to run it.  And working toward a Smart Home with home appliances. 
    AND similar use INSIDE YOUR CAR (new slogan “all the convenience of home in your car”).

PSH

• Posted: 11 November 2010 03:43 PM #34

PSMacintosh - 11 November 2010 06:51 PM

[...]
    How about BETTER BATTERY TECHNOLOGY so that a battery isn’t KILLED by simply running the computer hooked up to AC forever?

How about Apple getting that we want the CHOICE of having MATTE SCREENS on all and any displays we buy and use!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [...]

Yeah, come on Steve.,  If you are going to force me to use a MacBookPro for my desktop computer by denying me a matte screen on iMac, then at least give me a battery that can take being on A/C all day.

• Posted: 11 November 2010 05:26 PM #35

PSMacintosh - 11 November 2010 06:51 PM

Better/easier SYNCING of personal, daily information across all of your devices!  And a better home data control center—Airport/network HD (with ports to hang off external HDs for backup purposes)—to wireless sync and flow all of your content/data to all of your devices….and the software to run it.  And working toward a Smart Home with home appliances. 
    AND similar use INSIDE YOUR CAR (new slogan “all the convenience of home in your car”).

PSH

I think this ones a given soon after North Carolina goes operational.  Even for experienced users this is a giant pain.  Casual users have no chance given the level of difficulty and their unwillingness to risk screwing up their own machine.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 11 November 2010 06:22 PM #36

I think any more big surprises are unlikely before the end of the year, but if there are any I think they will be in the form of bits rather than atoms. What I mean is that it wont be a hardware product but instead either a software or service product.

Potentially:

- Apple search engine that incorporates iAds

- itunes original programming (new video content globally available exclusivily through itunes video store & appletv. IF you are wondering what this could be, consider this: George Lucas has had a live action star wars tv series in the works for a coupel of years now, imagine if apple did a deal to sell this globally via itunes for $2.99 an episode exclusively)

- AppleTV OS upgrade to allow games to be played (see examples of “the incident” & “Chopper 2” as examples of how games can be controlled via an iphone/ipod touch onto a larger screen - currently the ipad, which allows video out to a TV via adapter)

Hardware wise, the only large market consumer electronic device that apple has not yet attempted, and that apple could ramp up production on quickly without arousing leaks would be entering the TV display market. This is feasible to do at short notice, as all the parts for such a device are already in mass production - Apple simply needs to chose a flat panel supplier for quality 42inch & 50inch panels - slap a nice aluminium case on it, include the tiny AppleTV (ios device) circuit board inside it - Boom! new $1000+ apple product likely to ship 10 million a year to apple fanboys alone.

assume a $300 margin per unit at least - 10 million x $300 = $3 billion profit per year minimum.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics