iTunes Store Revenue Expectations

• Posted: 16 November 2010 03:46 PM #16

dduck - 08 November 2010 02:09 PM

I am introducing a new version that incorporates all suggested improvements from users ASAP. I will leave this at $4 for a while, then raise the price to $10 to see what happens.

Well, data from the first couple of days is in, and raising the price + improving the app was so far the right move. Revenue has seen a new peak, albeit a sobering one: Apparently if you gross $45 in a day, you break the top 200 grossing in the iPad/education category for the US. Frankly I think that indicates a less than crowded field. That being said: If it stays at this level for a year, I will have recouped the approx. 2 man months I plowed into it, even at my pretty high rate. And the Mac I used to write it. And the iPad that was used for debugging it.

So: It can be worth it, but is still an order of magnitude below what I make from my day job. If it grows with the expected rate of growth in iPad ownership, I might reap a full second income, rather than just an extra pay check.

• Posted: 17 November 2010 12:28 AM #17

dduck, what’s your app? I want to take a look.  grin

• Posted: 17 November 2010 01:34 AM #18

DawnTreader - 17 November 2010 04:28 AM

dduck, what’s your app? I want to take a look.  grin

Sure!

Review codes and links here:
    http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/forums/viewreply/531457/

It’s called Typ-O HD. It’s a typing aid for people with mild to medium dyslexia, kids and non-native English speakers. That’s a much bigger market than you’d think. Depending on how you define it, this affects 5% to 15% of the population. Speech recco will fill some of the need, but text is simply a different medium, and so even in a world with adequate SR there’s a big place for this.

It’s based on a Windows-based product, that has seen pretty good sales in Scandinavia, and could have seen equally good sales in the UK and US if my representative hadn’t been a klutz.

This time around the App Store does away with the need for distribution infrastructure, and there’s no real competition (yet). I hope to shut he door on potentials by starting in the low but fair end of the price spectrum with a quality product.

The app may look simple, but it’s not. Everything I learned from my PhD about language modeling and usability is in it, as is decades of programming experience. Internally, it’s a marvel of maintainability and portability. I hope to be able to port it to the Mac App Store in a weekend or so smile

• Posted: 17 November 2010 01:33 PM #19

dduck, I downloaded the app.

In my past I served as the technology director and technology instructor at a prep school designed specifically for students who did not do well in traditional educational settings due to organic or environmental learning challenges. My roster included students with dyslexia and dysgraphia.

I’m looking forward to evaluating the app.  grin

• Posted: 17 November 2010 01:36 PM #20

DawnTreader - 17 November 2010 05:33 PM

I’m looking forward to evaluating the app.  grin

Thank you,

Any and all suggestions are welcomed (as are positive reviews on the App Store), but I can’t promise to implement all of them smile

Please don’t expect it to solve all dyslexia-related problems. All it does is to lend a helping hand that in some cases will help people over the hump. Some will like it, others won’t.

• Posted: 18 November 2010 03:43 AM #21

A good tool for mining and tracking app performances: http://www.appannie.com

It won’t tell you the amount a given app grosses, but it will help you track its relative performance.

Posted: 18 November 2010 09:05 AM #22

Anybody care to guestimate the impact on revenues of Beatles sales?

thanks
        JohnG

• Posted: 18 November 2010 10:29 AM #23

johnG - 18 November 2010 01:05 PM

thanks,  JohnG

Well they now own 5 of the top 10 albums… (with the expensive collection at number 10)

Signature

Posted: 18 November 2010 10:30 AM #24

thanks
        JohnG

Not even a rounding error. :innocent:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 18 November 2010 11:07 AM #25

rattyuk - 18 November 2010 02:29 PM

Well they now own 5 of the top 10 albums… (with the expensive collection at number 10)

The popularity of the box set is rather astounding.  grin

• Posted: 18 November 2010 11:08 AM #26

thanks
        JohnG

I’ll be revising my iPod unit sales estimates from a decline of about 12% to a decline of about 10%. I expect the Fab Four to have a positive impact on iPod unit sales in the quarter.

• Posted: 18 November 2010 12:04 PM #27

DawnTreader - 18 November 2010 03:08 PM

I’ll be revising my iPod unit sales estimates from a decline of about 12% to a decline of about 10%. I expect the Fab Four to have a positive impact on iPod unit sales in the quarter.

Not forgetting the introduction of that iPod watch thingy… raspberry

Signature

• Posted: 19 November 2010 01:47 AM #28

rattyuk - 18 November 2010 04:04 PM

That’s next year’s design.  :wink:

• Posted: 20 November 2010 01:41 PM #29

dduck - 16 November 2010 07:46 PM
    dduck - 08 November 2010 02:09 PM

I am introducing a new version that incorporates all suggested improvements from users ASAP. I will leave this at $4 for a while, then raise the price to $10 to see what happens.

Well, data from the first couple of days is in, and raising the price + improving the app was so far the right move.

Still the right move now that the first week is almost over. Sales are way up in terms of revenue and noticeably up in terms of units. In five days I have topped my best month so far, so obviously I’m happy.

That being said, unless income scales with iPad sales or the app becomes more popular, there’s definitely no chance of me dropping my day job (not that I would anyway). At current levels the projection is revenue of $800/month before Apple + taxman get their cut. Nice for a hobby though smile If it does scale with iPad ownership and that grows as projected (factor of 4-8 in 2011 i gather), it starts looking very nice indeed.

I am keeping at it, and hitting the relevant blogs and magazines with review copies, in the hopes that this will increase sales.

• Posted: 20 November 2010 02:49 PM #30

DawnTreader - 19 November 2010 05:47 AM
    rattyuk - 18 November 2010 04:04 PM

That’s next year’s design.  :wink:

Apple’s acquisition of the people talent (not the Company) behind iMuffs should produce a watch/iPod Nano with bluetooth earbuds that brings Dick Tracy very close.