iPad for an elderly non-techy reader?

• Posted: 08 November 2010 03:06 PM

My elderly aunt is having vision problems that have limited the amount of reading that she can do comfortably.

I am considering getting her an iPad (or a Kindle) so she can adjust the font size and brightness.

She has no computer at all, and therefore no internet connection. I am trying to determine whether either option (iPad/Kindle) would work for her with the 3G data plan.

Do I need to worry about how she will keep the device updated? Are there any “gotchas” I need to be concerned about? Your thoughts?

Signature

If you can’t find the pot of gold, just enjoy the rainbow.

Posted: 08 November 2010 03:57 PM #1

No brightness adjustment on Kindle because there is no backlight. That being said, Kindle is probably a better choice if the requirement is purely reading. No computer required to set it up. No monthly fees for 3G. I think it can update OTA.

FWIW.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 08 November 2010 04:44 PM #2

Thanks for the quick response. I guess it will be a Kindle, then!  grin

Signature

If you can’t find the pot of gold, just enjoy the rainbow.

Posted: 10 December 2010 03:25 PM #3

Well, my mother is 90 and she’s a very happy PowerBook user (she started with my old iBook, but found that a tad slow, so I gave he my PB instead). She’d love an iPad now. I’m sure your aunt would prefer the clearer screen of the iPad and will soon be into surfing and emailing, too, just like my mother, who also gains great pleasure from iPhoto, incidentally. Don’t give too little credit to people just because they are of a certain age. Show them what can be done and they’ll let you know what they like and if they like it, they’ll do it.

3G? Can’t you use WiFi in the USA? Here in Europe there is little need for 3G. Heck, even if I go into a little place like Guardamar, I can easily find free WiFi connections: the library, restaurants, hotel coffee-shops?