4.2 today?

• Posted: 18 November 2010 01:00 PM

Various sources are saying that iOS 4.2 is finally going live today…

Signature

• Posted: 18 November 2010 02:26 PM #1

rattyuk - 18 November 2010 05:00 PM

Various sources are saying that iOS 4.2 is finally going live today…

I noticed that many Apps on my iPad got updated for 4.2 compatibility.

• Posted: 18 November 2010 02:29 PM #2

Well they said 1pm ET but it’s half past now…

Signature

• Posted: 18 November 2010 03:15 PM #3

I’m eagerly awaiting this update and my iPhone and iPad on the same iOS release.

• Posted: 18 November 2010 04:02 PM #4

MacRumors initially misread the iOS updater in iTunes. It was down, which was interpreted that it was being fitted with 4.2. But now it has return to normal with no update showing.

• Posted: 18 November 2010 04:10 PM #5

willrob - 18 November 2010 08:02 PM

MacRumors initially misread the iOS updater in iTunes. It was down, which was interpreted that it was being fitted with 4.2. But now it has return to normal with no update showing.

Thanks for the info… The friend I had who had issues with the original Gold Master and his wi-fi connection has told me that with the new GM it is working fine… So I am hopeful that it will be this week.

Signature

• Posted: 18 November 2010 04:13 PM #6

And then we get this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/18/apple-posts-ios-4-2-1-gm-seed-ipads-salivate-in-wait/

Okay, so we’ve got to be close to a release at this point, right? After posting a WiFi-patched GM last week, Apple’s back at it again with an iOS 4.2.1 build for its iPhone Developer Program members… and let’s hope this is the very last one before it hits iTunes installations across the land. Or, you know, you can get it now if you shell out some funds in Cupertino’s direction. Your call.

Signature

• Posted: 18 November 2010 04:37 PM #7

Unless I am mistaken, this will not affect 4.2, it is in fact the next version (4.2.1)

p.s If anyone is getting bored waiting, it is worth noting that there are no developer locks on these updates once they hit GM stage, so you can directly install them on your iPad/iPhone if you have the IPSW file.  Have been using 4.2 for a couple of weeks now and can confirm that it really does transform the iPad experience.

• Posted: 18 November 2010 04:42 PM #8

There are reports kicking about that “Line 2” breaks under 4.2

Signature

• Posted: 19 November 2010 01:42 AM #9

JML - 18 November 2010 08:37 PM

Unless I am mistaken, this will not affect 4.2, it is in fact the next version (4.2.1)

p.s If anyone is getting bored waiting, it is worth noting that there are no developer locks on these updates once they hit GM stage, so you can directly install them on your iPad/iPhone if you have the IPSW file.  Have been using 4.2 for a couple of weeks now and can confirm that it really does transform the iPad experience.

Thanks, JML. You stop in from time to time and only now to whet the appetite.  LOL

Indeed, I expect 4.2 to transform the iPad experience. I’m waiting patiently (and not so patiently for the release).

Posted: 19 November 2010 02:49 AM #10

I’m curious about whether the iPad’s alleged 256MB of RAM (versus the iPhone’s alleged 512MB of RAM) will hamstring the iPad’s higher CPU performance when 4.2 comes around.  (All in all I’m very happy with how Apple handles multitasking with the iPhone 4 - unless I have tons of apps and several games open I don’t notice much effect on performance, and typically, battery life remains fairly robust.)  Keep us informed, DT!

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 19 November 2010 06:36 AM #11

Mav - 19 November 2010 06:49 AM

I’m curious about whether the iPad’s alleged 256MB of RAM (versus the iPhone’s alleged 512MB of RAM) will hamstring the iPad’s higher CPU performance when 4.2 comes around.  (All in all I’m very happy with how Apple handles multitasking with the iPhone 4 - unless I have tons of apps and several games open I don’t notice much effect on performance, and typically, battery life remains fairly robust.)  Keep us informed, DT!

Most reports indicate that memory management has improved, especially in Safari.

Apple has generally been very good about improving performance, the exception being iOS4. I suspect the cause was a combination of adding in multitasking and changing the underlying tool chain in quite significant ways (compiler change).

Posted: 19 November 2010 03:18 PM #12

I pre-loaded 18 iPads with read-ahead material for a planning offsite next week. It would have been great to configure all the “cruft” apps that can’t be deleted into a single folder and move it to the back screen.

My beta test feedback has identified all the “toy” apps as distractors in the classroom. Students also want printing, fast multi-tasking, and the ability to annotate PPTs and PDFs.

Oh well, a lot of this including the folder thing will be ready before my next phase of testing: full scale replacement of all paper and CDs for a class of 24 adults. The offsite participants are just thrilled not to need over 100 printed pages just to consume material that will be irrelevant after the session.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 19 November 2010 03:25 PM #13

rezonate - 19 November 2010 07:18 PM

Oh well, a lot of this including the folder thing will be ready before my next phase of testing: full scale replacement of all paper and CDs for a class of 24 adults. The offsite participants are just thrilled not to need over 100 printed pages just to consume material that will be irrelevant after the session.

I am using the front page for the Apps I use all the time and then have subdivided everything else into folders after that. Unfortunately it does make the iPad look a lot more boring after page one as the black icons with colored dots all look the same. It would have been nicer if Apple had some nice generic icons for some of the genres they have set up so that it keeps the colorful look and feel of the iPad as opposed to the generic black icon with colors representing apps.

Signature

Posted: 19 November 2010 03:29 PM #14

rezonate - 19 November 2010 07:18 PM

I pre-loaded 18 iPads with read-ahead material for a planning offsite next week. It would have been great to configure all the “cruft” apps that can’t be deleted into a single folder and move it to the back screen.

My beta test feedback has identified all the “toy” apps as distractors in the classroom. Students also want printing, fast multi-tasking, and the ability to annotate PPTs and PDFs.

Have you looked at Good Reader for PDF?  They recently added annotations. Might be worth a look.

• Posted: 19 November 2010 06:00 PM #15

I’ve read that 4.2 will be skipped and Apple will release 4.2.1. Although, if the Wi-Fi fix is all that 4.2.1 contains, then they might call it 4.2 anyway. In other words, I have no clue.