Irony Corner…

• Posted: 19 November 2010 08:45 AM

Hey guys, any of you remember Nokia calling out Apple back in June over Antennagate?

They implied that their products, because they are a “proper” phone manufacturer, were build to more exacting standards:

“In general, antenna performance of a mobile device/phone may be affected with a tight grip, depending on how the device is held. That’s why Nokia designs our phones to ensure acceptable performance in all real life cases, for example when the phone is held in either hand. Nokia has invested thousands of man hours in studying how people hold their phones and allows for this in designs, for example by having antennas both at the top and bottom of the phone and by careful selection of materials and their use in the mechanical design.”

So how do things match up? Well the irony is that the N8 seems plagued with a power issue that seems to have let them ship faulty phones despite their exacting standards:

BARCELONA/HELSINKI (Reuters) - Nokia, the world’s top cellphone maker, said on Friday some of its flagship N8 smartphones were sold with a power fault that meant they switched themselves off.
    The success of the N8—Nokia’s first real challenge to Apple’s iPhone , more than three years after its launch—is seen as crucial to Nokia’s profit margins in the current quarter, analysts say.
    Nokia sales chief Niklas Savander said “a limited number of N8 users” were facing the problem of their phones switching off, and they are not able to turn them on again.

But I thought they knew what they were doing?

Signature

Posted: 19 November 2010 08:58 AM #1

At least with the iPhone, if it drops I call, I can still play Cut the Rope grin

Can’t even turn it back on? FAIL!

Posted: 19 November 2010 10:20 AM #2

But it shuts off with excellent signal strength. That’s important.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 19 November 2010 12:12 PM #3

Nokia News Release…

To more closely relate our handset offerings with superior Apple products and to better communicate the user experience to be expected with our N8, we are announcing the name change effective immediately from N8 to iSuck.