If Android phones are selling so well - why is this necessary?

• Posted: 19 November 2010 12:46 PM

Boy Genius is reporting:

All DROID smartphones on sale for 1? at Amazon Wireless

Thinking about treating yourself to one of Verizon?s DROID smartphones right before the holidays? You?ll definitely want to check out this latest deal from Amazon Wireless. The online retail giant has the full compliment of DROID devices from Big Red ? the DROID Incredible, X, 2, and Pro ? on sale for a single penny for those opening a new line of service. The offer is good now through November 22nd and includes free activation. If you?re thinking about jumping over to Verizon, how can you go wrong with a deal like this?

Now, if you?re already a VZW customer, and the DROID Pro has caught your eye, Best Buy is offering the new candybar set for a very reasonable $99.99 with a signed two-year agreement; that is a full $80 below the on-contract price being offered by Verizon. It also looks like Best Buy?s $100 offer is being served straight-up, with no mail-in rebate or other forms required. Man the holidays are a great time to buy a cell phone.

http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/19/amazon-sells-droid-smartphones-for-a-penny/

Signature

Posted: 19 November 2010 01:05 PM #1

Honestly, if one is going to skimp on apps, security, then one should just get a plain texting phone and a web TV, sell the car and start raking the lawn.

These days, with a smartphone is a bad time to be a cheapskate.  Get an iPod touch if you can’t afford a smartphone.

Posted: 19 November 2010 01:45 PM #2

Unique - 19 November 2010 05:26 PM

Droids are for the cheap people, we knew this back in early 2009.

Small possible side benefit:  people not currently using smart phones get introduced to the concept through a cheap promotion like this. Then, when they understand the value of the device but want security, more and better apps, better hardware….and can afford a “better” experience, they move to the iPhone.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 19 November 2010 02:28 PM #3

Unique - 19 November 2010 05:26 PM

Droids are for the cheap people, we knew this back in early 2009.

The onslaught continues. Do you know why I have a soft spot in my heart for Apple people? It’s because, long ago, I used to think like that. Then I justified my Apple jones as being willing to pay a premium for good taste. And then I noticed that there were awesome products in the Windows world and in the Android world.

Android is so thoroughly kicking the iPhone’s ass at this point that Apple fans will be lucky if Apple is even making phones two years from now. Apple cannot compete with commoditized phones that are actually pretty damned good for most people, and way better than iPhone for gadget honks.

• Posted: 19 November 2010 02:39 PM #4

Thoroughly kicking ass….? That’s some fan speaking.

If I’m not mistaken, there are over 30 different models of Android on American mobile market. Competing against exactly 2 models of iPhone (3GS is still selling on AT&T). I would say, iPhone is kicking massive but of every single one of those devices.

Not that it really matters here; even with 30 different devices, it looks like the carriers are forced to offer these severe price reductions in order to lure people away from the iPhone. Don’t forget, AT&T does not exactly have best reputation for the network there…

When an ordinary person walks into a mobile store, they will ask for an iPhone first. They will likely walk away with an Android if the store doesn’t carry an iPhone. But very few people actually ask for an Android. And there is a reason for that, and it is NOT hype/marketing. Those two can only work for so long; three years later, no hype or marketing could prop up a bad product.

Posted: 19 November 2010 02:50 PM #5

Ignore the troll and he will go away.

Signature

Tron is cool

• Posted: 19 November 2010 02:59 PM #6

dlstarr7 - 19 November 2010 06:50 PM

+1 - there is no point in getting into yet another heated argument on this stuff.  It results in a futile, noise pollution debate that no one can win.  It just takes down the value of the forum.

Posted: 19 November 2010 03:06 PM #7

vasic - 19 November 2010 06:39 PM

If I’m not mistaken, there are over 30 different models of Android on American mobile market. Competing against exactly 2 models of iPhone (3GS is still selling on AT&T). I would say, iPhone is kicking massive but of every single one of those devices.

Say that all the way to your 10% niche. People like choice. A friend’s buying criteria for a netbook earlier this year was “the purple one”, and that’s entirely cool because that’s what she wanted. Apple in it’s one-size fits all approach leaves out the 80% who just want their version of purple.

And you know what… If people truly go to buy iPhones and leave the store with Android handsets by a 3:2 margin, that’s the worst indictment of Apple operations imaginable. Fact is, when you walk up to some 20-something hottie with her iPhone 4 and show her how your Nexus One can find the closest A&F store and give you interactive driving directions in response to a voice command, you are the man. And she’ll talk to your phone all day long.

• Posted: 19 November 2010 03:12 PM #8

My thoughts on this are perhaps Windows Phone Seven is having a bigger impact on Android phones than anyone feared.

Signature

• Posted: 19 November 2010 03:40 PM #9

From AppleInsider just posted:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/11/19/34_of_non_att_smartphone_buyers_wish_they_could_buy_apples_iphone.html

34% of non-AT&T smartphone buyers wish they could buy Apple’s iPhone

A new survey has found that more than a third of U.S. smartphone buyers on carriers other than AT&T wish they could have bought the iPhone, expressing buyer’s remorse.

ChangeWave on Friday released the results of a new survey which polled consumers on their new smartphone purchase. As has been shown numerous times before, customers who bought Apple’s iPhone were happier than those who invested in handsets from any other manufacturer, with 77 percent of all iPhone buyers in the last six months saying they are “very satisfied.”

The 1,212 U.S. respondents were also asked what phone they would have bought if it was available from their wireless carrier. 46 percent said they would have stuck with their current smartphone, but a whopping 34 percent of those surveyed who aren’t on AT&T said they would have bought an iPhone.

• Posted: 19 November 2010 04:09 PM #10

dlstarr7 - 19 November 2010 06:50 PM

It’s not really a troll…,it’s Brad.  He stops by from time to time and seems descent enough.  He’s seldom wrong I might add.  There is a certain contingent that will buy color or material or the latest introduction.  (I’m looking at you Leo Laporte).  There will always be the ‘hackers’ that are more intrigued by taking things apart than they are about how they were put together in the first place.  Apple will NEVER be a universal choice and it would be a pretty dang boring world if they were.  I myself have been saying that when someone comes along with a demonstrably BETTER product than Apple I’m outta here.  I’ve been saying it since 1984 and I still mean it.  wink

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 19 November 2010 05:09 PM #11

According to this article, Steve Wozniak said that although iPhone is the better phone/iOS is the better mobile OS, he deems that the mobile OS race is Google?s to win and he feels that it will be having quite the same impact on the mobile devices as the Windows operating systems had on the personal computers.  Agree?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 19 November 2010 05:23 PM #12

Mace - 19 November 2010 09:09 PM

According to this article, Steve Wozniak said that although iPhone is the better phone/iOS is the better mobile OS, he deems that the mobile OS race is Google?s to win and he feels that it will be having quite the same impact on the mobile devices as the Windows operating systems had on the personal computers.  Agree?

First, don’t forget that Woz was on Danger’s BOD, and from Danger sprung Android via Andy Rubin. Woz is more knowledgeable about this than he betrays in yesterday’s interview and “clarification”.

I think he’s wrong about iPhone being a better phone and iOS being a better OS. I base my opinion on extensive experience with both platforms and that opinion (along with the netbook phenomenon) is really what finally set off my Apple bullshit detector. But say he is right. Android is at the very least good enough for most. That’s a very big problem for Apple, because they will never play to win on price, and incompatibility with the de facto standard will simply drive the TCO of their devices, including eventual scarcity of compatible accessories and software, higher.

• Posted: 19 November 2010 05:30 PM #13

rattyuk - 19 November 2010 04:46 PM

Boy Genius is reporting:

All DROID smartphones on sale for 1? at Amazon Wireless

Thinking about treating yourself to one of Verizon?s DROID smartphones right before the holidays? You?ll definitely want to check out this latest deal from Amazon Wireless. The online retail giant has the full compliment of DROID devices from Big Red ? the DROID Incredible, X, 2, and Pro ? on sale for a single penny for those opening a new line of service. The offer is good now through November 22nd and includes free activation. If you?re thinking about jumping over to Verizon, how can you go wrong with a deal like this?

Now, if you?re already a VZW customer, and the DROID Pro has caught your eye, Best Buy is offering the new candybar set for a very reasonable $99.99 with a signed two-year agreement; that is a full $80 below the on-contract price being offered by Verizon. It also looks like Best Buy?s $100 offer is being served straight-up, with no mail-in rebate or other forms required. Man the holidays are a great time to buy a cell phone.

http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/19/amazon-sells-droid-smartphones-for-a-penny/

Interesting, but not surprising tactic. It will be interesting to see Verizon’s and Amazon’s fourth quarter results, and contribution from Android phone sales. It continues to look as if manufacturers and vendors will need to move high volume in order to make much profit from Android device sales.

Colin Gillis, with New York-based BGC Partners LP, last night assessed Apple’s potential for growth in both market share and profit share as strong for iPads, iPhones and Macs, outperforming the industry. He specifically noted this was contrary to Google, whom he singled out for getting by on 10-year old technology, but with few new products. Apple’s profits and growth, on the other hand, result primarily from products that have come out in the last three years, with promise of further innovations along all three product lines above, not to mention products and services we have not seen. This bodes well for continued innovation and, therefore, market dominance.

The analysis was specific to tech companies that are leading the field (and have the greatest cash flow as an indicator of market performance).

There is little doubt that Android will continue to gain market share, but so far it is not exciting Wall Street. That will surely happen if OEMs and Google can start turning a profit from it such that serious and competitive product and service innovation can occur.

[ Edited: 20 November 2010 11:48 AM by wab95 ]

Signature

wab95

• Posted: 19 November 2010 05:38 PM #14

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 19 November 2010 09:23 PM

First, don’t forget that Woz was on Danger’s BOD, and from Danger sprung Android via Andy Rubin. Woz is more knowledgeable about this than he betrays in yesterday’s interview and “clarification”.

I think he’s wrong about iPhone being a better phone and iOS being a better OS. I base my opinion on extensive experience with both platforms and that opinion (along with the netbook phenomenon) is really what finally set off my Apple bullshit detector. But say he is right. Android is at the very least good enough for most. That’s a very big problem for Apple, because they will never play to win on price, and incompatibility with the de facto standard will simply drive the TCO of their devices, including eventual scarcity of compatible accessories and software, higher.

Must be your normal average conspiracy theory then brad.

Signature

Posted: 19 November 2010 06:06 PM #15

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 19 November 2010 09:23 PM
    Mace - 19 November 2010 09:09 PM

So now We have a contest of who’s opinion matters most Brad or Woz.  Should I create a poll and see how AFB votes.  Brad,  Andriod is not the whole system.  Folks buy phones for many reasons.  The Apple brand is well respected.and leads in customer satisfaction which results in repeat buyers.  We will have to see if Andriod on HTC or Samsung or Motorola can get that kind of attach rate.  Are they buying Andriod or the only FREE smart phone in the Verizon store.  Are they buying HTC and are willing to put up with Andriod until WP7 or iOS is available on their chosen carrier.  I think the pocket computer market, is huge and in this hyper growth phase has room for more than one winner. Apple is earning enough in smart phone sales that their R&D should keep pace or exceed all device manufactures .  AS far as pricing goes some people actually look at best value for their use, not necessarily the lowest cost handset.  I think it is way too early to say Andriod is the defacto standard.  Symbian which is open is much larger then iOs and Andriod, but few in the US even consider it.