AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 22 November 2010 05:10 PM #31

Eric Landstrom - 22 November 2010 08:55 PM

Economic illiteracy is rampant. Elsewhere I’m debating with a guy who believes my tax rate should be 68% and who is blissfully unaware of how such a tax rate would hurt the very people he wants to help the most.

Have you been arguing with Warren Buffett? BTW, last I heard they wanted your cap gains to go up a smidge. Where did the 68% number come from? Warren Buffett says Rich should pay higher taxes.

Posted: 22 November 2010 05:12 PM #32

zulu - 22 November 2010 09:05 PM

Definitely not the Oprah effect.  I believe it to be the SPONGE effect actually!

I wish I could take credit, but I give it to AirPlay and DT.  The more people see the amazing Apple products and how undervalued this stock is, the higher we go.smile

Posted: 22 November 2010 05:16 PM #33

Eric Landstrom - 22 November 2010 06:01 PM

Diamond Back Capital, LLC with $5B under management is getting raided for insider trading.

People are on witch hunts to pacify the masses.

Well, given the fraud on WS, I certainly need to be pacified before I start investing for others. Me, I can handle the risks on my own funds. Other’s people money is a completely different matter. I do have a conscience.

[ Edited: 22 November 2010 05:19 PM by awcabot ]

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 22 November 2010 05:38 PM #34

ChasMac77 - 22 November 2010 09:10 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 22 November 2010 08:55 PM

Economic illiteracy is rampant. Elsewhere I’m debating with a guy who believes my tax rate should be 68% and who is blissfully unaware of how such a tax rate would hurt the very people he wants to help the most.

Have you been arguing with Warren Buffett? BTW, last I heard they wanted your cap gains to go up a smidge. Where did the 68% number come from? Warren Buffett says Rich should pay higher taxes.

Some insane person who believes the problem with this country is that haves don’t pay enough taxes. He has this idea that the haves all travel around like the rich and famous unaware that most of us, apparently, drive F150s.

Speaking of F150s, Bank of America launched a car buying web site today designed to get the best price through BofA’s sheer size. I priced out a $53,750 2011 F150 and it spit out a discount of $8077 which is not bad considering a cowboy cadillac 2010 F150 on blowout had $11,000 off of the sticker and didn’t have the new eco-boost engine, six speed transmission, and new gee-whiz instrument cluster with towing and fuel economy Apps.

F250 instrument cluster and the advent of Apps in trucks:

[ Edited: 22 November 2010 05:45 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 22 November 2010 06:48 PM #35

awcabot - 22 November 2010 09:16 PM

Diamond Back Capital, LLC with $5B under management is getting raided for insider trading.

Well, given the fraud on WS, I certainly need to be pacified before I start investing for others. Me, I can handle the risks on my own funds. Other’s people money is a completely different matter. I do have a conscience.

I am jumping on the bandwagon. These people run stories that are just not true to manipulate the market/stock. Tim Cook is a good example.

Eric, the flash crash was planned. You can try to sell me the bag of poop and swear to me that it is just candy, but I ain’t buying. The problem is that the punishment is not hard enough. I know I will never get my way as far as punishment, but dang it, enforce the laws and hold people actually accountable.

As for the taxes, I think all the tax rates should stay the same. What needs to happen is the loopholes need to be closed. We have a graduated tax for a reason, the top evades much of their tax liability. Such as John Kerry parking his boat in a different state to save $100k/yr. I don’t care where he parks it, it should be taxed according to the state he resides.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 22 November 2010 07:05 PM #36

mbeauch - 22 November 2010 10:48 PM

I am jumping on the bandwagon. These people run stories that are just not true to manipulate the market/stock. Tim Cook is a good example.

Eric, the flash crash was planned. You can try to sell me the bag of poop and swear to me that it is just candy, but I ain’t buying. The problem is that the punishment is not hard enough. I know I will never get my way as far as punishment, but dang it, enforce the laws and hold people actually accountable.

As for the taxes, I think all the tax rates should stay the same. What needs to happen is the loopholes need to be closed. We have a graduated tax for a reason, the top evades much of their tax liability. Such as John Kerry parking his boat in a different state to save $100k/yr. I don’t care where he parks it, it should be taxed according to the state he resides.

MB, agree with most of that. What was the Tim Cook reference? Didn’t get that…

• Posted: 22 November 2010 07:22 PM #37

omacvi - 21 November 2010 11:26 PM

Futures are green 8-)

Bought back last week so I am all in.

omacvi:  You go in and out AAPL.  I like to know has it been better for you profit wise playing AAPL this way.  Thanks!

Posted: 22 November 2010 07:29 PM #38

ChasMac77 - 22 November 2010 11:05 PM
    mbeauch - 22 November 2010 10:48 PM

MB, agree with most of that. What was the Tim Cook reference? Didn’t get that…

Apple: Cook Not Going to HP

[ Edited: 22 November 2010 07:46 PM by awcabot ]

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 22 November 2010 07:30 PM #39

Eric Landstrom - 22 November 2010 09:38 PM

Speaking of F150s, Bank of America launched a car buying web site today designed to get the best price through BofA’s sheer size. I priced out a $53,750 2011 F150 and it spit out a discount of $8077 which is not bad considering a cowboy cadillac 2010 F150 on blowout had $11,000 off of the sticker and didn’t have the new eco-boost engine, six speed transmission, and new gee-whiz instrument cluster with towing and fuel economy Apps.

I don’t know all of the details about BAC’s car buying site, but dealers will likely HATE it and respond in kind by redirecting the retail paper away from BAC to credit unions and other dealer-friendly banks.  What is BAC thinking here?  If I’ve jumped the gun, I’ll do a mea culpa later, but I don’t see a pick up here for BAC.  Meanwhile, BAC is the big turd in my portfolio.  Diversification my arse.

Everyone wants to be in the car business…

Posted: 22 November 2010 07:38 PM #40

When there ARE real witches, you HUNT THEM!

Deut 18:10-11 King James Version: There shall not be found among you anyone ....that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 22 November 2010 07:39 PM #41

alice - 22 November 2010 11:22 PM
    omacvi - 21 November 2010 11:26 PM

Futures are green 8-)

Bought back last week so I am all in.

omacvi:  You go in and out AAPL.  I like to know has it been better for you profit wise playing AAPL this way.  Thanks!

The only reason I go in and out of aapl is because I am highly leveraged and maxed out on margin.  The stock moves thru such wild swings that I am forced to jump in and out.

So far it has worked out OK for me. Yes I have lost a few grand and had to transfer cash into my account this summer.  However Since Fall of 2009 I am up 580%.  :-D Over time I should have less margin and a lesser need to get in and out.  But if this continues and my prediction of seeing this stock at $1000 a share in the next 36 months and $2500 a share in the next 144 months, that 500% increase from here will make me a very wealthy sponge. :-D

Posted: 22 November 2010 07:48 PM #42

Deut 18:10-11 King James Version: There shall not be found among you anyone ....that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

Not to be taken literally.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 22 November 2010 08:06 PM #43

awcabot - 22 November 2010 11:48 PM

Explain to me ANY benefit to allowing witchcraft in our homes, communities, and nation?

Seriously.

Oh, my HUGE HUGE gripe, moreso than insider trading, is NAKED SHORT TRADING coupled with FAILS TO DELIVER. Essentially, WS can create and issue HUGE unlimited new stock, sell short, take in real money, then just never settle or deliver on the shorted shares. This has been a MASSIVE CRIME, affecting many of the Chinese stocks I have in my portfolio.

This one is the REAL CRIME that doesn’t get any attention since the biggies are making massive profits from screwing the retails continuously doing the Naked Short with FTD.

One China Solar I have had for a few years, actually has 35% more shares floating around than are actually available when you subtract the 70% owned by management. Imagine, over 40% of the “FLOAT” consisting of counterfeited shorted non-existant non-borrowed shares!

[ Edited: 22 November 2010 08:09 PM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 22 November 2010 08:21 PM #44

From the Wall Street Journal

NEW YORK?It doesn’t take much for investors to turn bullish on companies linked to Apple Inc.
    In recent months, traders have warmed to call options on shares in Austin, Texas-based chip maker Cirrus Logic Inc., whose products are used in Apple gadgets, including the iPod and iPad. All it took Monday was a prediction by Jefferies & Co.‘s analysts that Apple may use more of the company’s wares.
    “We have increased confidence that Cirrus Logic is designed into the upcoming CDMA iPhone, iPad 2, iPhone 5 and iPod Touch,” the Jefferies analysts wrote, also upgrading their investment rating on the stock to “buy” from “hold.” They said the company “continues to distance itself from the competition.” The stock jumped to close 15% higher.
    After the assessment, traders tore after Cirrus Logic’s options. Most appeared to shoot for sizable gains in the stock by next month or early next year.
    Investors sometimes turn to the options market to make speculative or leveraged bets, since buying a bullish option is normally much less expensive than owning the stock outright.
    In buying a call, investors have the right but not the obligation to purchase shares. They risk losing the entire cost of the option if shares don’t rise above certain levels. But in the event that the stock drops, their losses will always be limited to the cost of the options they bought.
    Activity was robust in Cirrus Logic’s December $16 and January $17 calls. The latter contracts require especially strong gains to make money.
    Priced at 95 cents, the January calls make money only if the stock can rise more than 13% above Monday levels by early next year. The shares closed $2.06 higher at $15.88.
    Monday’s options traders also looked favorably on a Spanish bank stock that has slid amid European debt worries.
    U.S. stocks slid lower as investors signaled more concern about the Irish bailout and related sovereign-debt matters. The effect was compounded by the potentially negative impact a broad insider-trading probe could have upon shares in the banking sector.
    But as Spain’s Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria’s American depositary shares fell in sympathy with other bank stocks, investors showed up for several thousand January call options.
    “The call buyers are most likely speculating on a move above $12,” Susquehanna Financial Group derivatives analysts wrote in a report to clients. The ADR’s closed down 52 cents, or 4.5%, at $11.17.
    At a price of $1.03, the $11 January call options profit with any gains in the Spanish bank’s shares above $12.03.
    The bank’s American depositary shares touched above $14 a few times in October but have slid closer to $11 this month.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 22 November 2010 08:35 PM #45

TanToday - 23 November 2010 12:06 AM
    awcabot - 22 November 2010 11:48 PM

Explain to me ANY benefit to allowing witchcraft in our homes, communities, and nation?

Seriously.

None, if you believe in witches. But if you are to take that passage of Deuteronomy literally…
    No divination, therefore no forecasting: no financial analysts, no AFB, no Deagol.
    No observer of times: you can have watches and clocks, just don’t look at them!
    No enchanter, witch or charmer: ask Darrin Stephens.
    No consulter with familiar spirits: no beer.
    No wizard. Ok, no wizards. How about just one Woz?
    No necromancer (black magic). Ok, that’s not good.

[ Edited: 22 November 2010 08:37 PM by awcabot ]

Signature

Tightwad.