AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 23 November 2010 03:34 PM #76

Mace - 23 November 2010 07:20 PM

Eric, Mercel, Zulu

Why so confident that AAPL won’t attempt to close last Thursday’s gap, $300-$305?

I’m not so confident.  That’s why I’m replenishing sold positions as we drift lower.  I’ve got more cash than usual, and I’m staying put.  My next purchase will be when AAPL trades in the $300- $302 range, not before.

Posted: 23 November 2010 03:44 PM #77

FED shells Wall Street with a pessimistic tone. FED cuts GDP view to 2.4%-2.5% range for 2010 and 3%-3.6% for 2011 and ups 2010 unemployment view to 9.5%-9.7% in 2010 and 8.9%-9.1% in 2011. No meaningful surprises but enough to keep pressing the selloff.

Now what? North Korea running havoc and in need of attention. Ireland on the verge with the UK adding $11.3 billion of direct loan. FBI continues chasing suspects on trading probe. April 29, 2011, at Westminster Abbey you are cordially invited for Prince William?s marriage at your favorite cable channel.

Oversold but not enough to rally.

USDX 79.74 up 1.23%. Euro on a two month low at 1.3378 down -1.73%. Starting to become appealing for Europe travels.

DJI at 11014.23 off -164.39 points -1.49%.

SPX at 1179 down -1.58%

NDX at 2110.56 -1.88%

VIX at 21.07 up 14.70%.

XLF -1.37% financials still dragging the markets. QQQQ down 1.91%

AAPL $307.04 down 2%.

A timid counter-trend (another one) bubbling up. However selling pressure is overwhelming today, given macro scare. Let?s watch and see how market evolves to close. Yes, one can see with naked eyes the cloud of fear and panicky selling.

Fear is your friend, complacency not.

• Posted: 23 November 2010 04:47 PM #78

TORONTO (Dow Jones)—Apple Inc. (AAPL) is not only poaching corporate customers from BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM), it’s poaching members of RIM’s enterprise sales team.

In the past 18 months, at least five members of RIM’s enterprise-sales team have left the company to join Apple. This includes Geoff Perfect, who served as Head of Strategic Sales at RIM for nearly five years before leaving in April 2009 and joining Apple a month later as Head of Enterprise iPhone Sales, according to LinkedIn, the online networking service for professionals.

In January, Joe Bartlett, Steve Marshall and Peter Decker all left RIM after working there for about four years, according to LinkedIn. Bartlett and Marshall joined Apple a month later, while Decker joined them in February. Decker was a Global Account Manager at RIM, Bartlett was a Senior Global Sales Manager and Marshall was a Global Strategic Account Manager, according to Linkedin.

At Apple, Bartlett sells iPhones and iPads to companies in the New England region, while Marshall and Decker are listed as iPhone sales reps for the Greater New York City area, according to LinkedIn.

In June, Paul Alvarez left RIM after working five years as a Global Strategic Account Manager, according to his LinkedIn profile. He joined Apple the same month and is listed on LinkedIn as working in enterpise iPad and iPhone sales in Canada.

An Apple spokesman confirmed that all five individuals are working in enterprise sales at Apple, but declined to comment beyond that.

Officials from RIM weren’t immediately available for comment.

The movement of personnel from RIM to Apple underscores Apple’s aggressive push into the corporate-smartphone market, which RIM has traditionally dominated. On its fourth-quarter earnings call in October, Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer said more than 80% of Fortune 500 companies are deploying or piloting the iPhone.

On that same call, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs triggered a war of words with RIM co-Chief Executive Jim Balsillie by taking several swipes at RIM during the call. For instance, Jobs noted the iPhone outsold the BlackBerry in RIM’s corresponding quarter and he questioned the viability of 7-inch tablet computers, which include RIM’s upcoming PlayBook. Apple’s iPad tablet is 9.7 inches.

Balsillie responded the next day, saying among other things, that Apple lives in a “distortion field” and that 7-inch tablets will be a big portion of the tablet market.

Still, while Balsillie gave as good as he got, Apple’s iPhone and iPad are the glamor devices in the surging smartphone and tablet markets, giving the Cupertino, Calif. company the momentum, and putting RIM on the defensive. Hence, it’s not surprising that some RIM employees are making the jump to Apple. “Any time you have one company with a lot of momentum in a hot space you’re going to have a battle for talent because the guys that are growing really quickly are going to want to get the best and the brightest in the space to help them grow,” said Chris Albinson, Managing Director of Panorama Capital, a Silicon Valley-based venture capital firm.

Albinson said the battle for talent isn’t unique to RIM and Apple, noting that, earlier this month, Google Inc. (GOOG), the Mountain View, Calif. search-engine giant, gave a 10% pay hike to its 23,000 employees as it battles rivals like Facebook Inc. to secure talent.

As for RIM, despite losing a senior executive to Apple, as well as several members of its enterprise-sales team, the Waterloo, Ont. company continues to hire aggressively. For instance, RIM is advertising for 900 jobs in the Americas, and nearly 300 jobs in other regions, according to information on the careers section of its Web site.

Signature

Posted: 23 November 2010 04:47 PM #79

Eric, Mercel, Zulu

Why so confident that AAPL won’t attempt to close last Thursday’s gap, $300-$305?

Not confident, so I raised 1/2 cash.  Market will not go up in the face of dollar strength.

• Posted: 23 November 2010 04:52 PM #80

Anyone see Oprah do LadyGaGa impersonation over Apple’s iPad giveaway?  No?  I’ll make it easy for you courtesy of PED and YouTube

Posted: 23 November 2010 05:01 PM #81

Fatfinger did it again.  $313.21.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 23 November 2010 05:15 PM #82

BillH - 23 November 2010 07:06 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 23 November 2010 05:39 PM
    zulu - 23 November 2010 05:16 PM

I bought back the AAPL I sold EOD. Thanks for the dip, Mr. Market.

Me too, and then some.  Actually I am all in and freakin

I’m more concerned that the Twin Cities came in third for some kind of intelligence test.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/americas-favorite-cities/2010/category/people/intelligent

I’ve commented on this for years to my wife (native Topeka girl).  I particularly notice it in retail where you can usually find at least SOMEONE who knows what they’re talking about.  Other places I’ve been?  Not so much.  It’s easy to keep the EGO in check when you look at the “attractiveness” rating however.  (not that there aren’t a few of our stereotyped gorgeous scandinavians still around).  What I want to know is what kind of gremlin came through here one night and stuck an air hose in so many of our fellow citizens!

I’ve charted my fellow Swedes here in America.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 23 November 2010 05:44 PM #83

Like I tell my stepmother….....you can always tell a Swede!

You just can’t tell ‘em much!

Posted: 23 November 2010 05:50 PM #84

Beatles albums sales top 450,000 on iTunes

EMI also sells 2m singles via iTunes in the seven days since the band’s back catalogue was made available

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Posted: 23 November 2010 06:06 PM #85

Have to admit….I bought Revolver and the White Album. Had them on 33 and 1/3 vinyl tongue laugh long ago but not on CD….never had them on my Ipod/Ipad….till now.

Takes me back….

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 23 November 2010 06:19 PM #86

willrob - 23 November 2010 03:53 PM
    mbeauch - 23 November 2010 03:44 PM

What in the heck is up with this website today? (slow) Are we going back to giving a pigeon a note? LOL

Perhaps it’s the lack of Net Neutrality in action. If the FCC doesn’t act soon, we may have to meet in dark alleys lit by the glow from out iPhones in order to talk about AAPL.

This site has speed issues every now and then.  :bugeyed: Its not like I did not try several other sites before commenting.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 23 November 2010 06:34 PM #87

Eric Landstrom - 23 November 2010 05:39 PM

I’m more concerned that the Twin Cities came in third for some kind of intelligence test.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/americas-favorite-cities/2010/category/people/intelligent

What should really cause you concern is that the overall rating went to Savannah, Georgia. tongue laugh

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 24 November 2010 12:26 AM #88

Wednesday

R4       324.58
      midpoint   321.99
    R3       319.39
      midpoint   316.80
    R2       314.20
      midpoint   312.84
    R1       311.47
      midpoint   310.24
    PP       309.01
      midpoint   307.65
    S1       306.28
      midpoint   305.05
    S2       303.82
      midpoint   301.23
    S3       298.63
      midpoint   296.04
    S4       293.44

Posted: 24 November 2010 04:15 AM #89

Eric, Mercel, Zulu

Mace,

The context is that some MMs are looking for an excuse to book profits while other MMs are chasing performance. The macro story is that while all sectors have moved up the financial sector moved down and since it looks like banking won’t begin to recover until next year, banking will try to pull all other sectors down.

So what is going on?

Sovereign debt issues. Frankly, our banks deleveraged their sovereign debt for the most part back in 2009. And so unless the world pulls apart at the seems, sovereign debt is a headline risk.

Robot foreclosure issues. Even our .gov has recognized that unless common sense prevails, our political class will all be out of a job in two years. As such, they held a hearing this week on how to streamline this issue while recognizing that at the end of the day, if people don’t pay their mortgages, they don’t get to have a free house. No free houses is baffling to entitled America who was never taught ethics and so they hate anybody who wants to take away their free stuff. The take away is that foreclosure gate will eventually be more or less a headline risk.

.Gov understands that in order for recovery to happen, they’ve got to get their noses out of the banking system. As such they’re rushing ahead with reviews of bank reserve, capitalization plans, dividend reinstatements, and share buy-back plans. These things will be the reason for the next secular leg up.

Sadly, the regulators don’t get it. And have dragged their federally-backed, 35-days-a-year-paid-vacation, backsides while telling us that their working really hard. Whatever. The regulators performance represents a monster uncertainty that effects the entire financial sector even when it shouldn’t.

House values are expected to leg down for the last time next summer. Bummer for the HELC people who use their house as piggy bank.

The wealthy no longer feel bad about spending money and Mercedes just announced their end-of-year sale. German workers at bimmer and merc plants are like Santa’s elves this season and don’t get to take Christmas vacation to keep up with demand. What this really means is that junk like Apple is likely to out-perform.

Why do I expect Apple to out-perform? Not for the reasons that you’d think like increased sales and Oprah’s favorite thing and the kids saying, “Gimme, gimme, gimme!” but because MMs, who expect the rest of the market to trend down toward the lousy financial sector need to be stock pickers this season to chase performance. This means AAPL gets the nod and gets to be blessed.

Think like me: a fellow family member asks why on earth I bought AAPL when everybody and their brother says a correction is coming, is needed, and is healthy. I don’t tell them what i really think, that I bought AAPL because I believe that the other cool kids will also buy AAPL and we’ll collectively run AAPL up and then take profits ‘cause that sounds too tinfoil hattish to non-traders. Instead I say, Oprah’s favorite thing, Black Friday, baby! and the kids all clamoring, “Gimme, Gimme, Gimme.”

Then, if they don’t buy my reasoning, I’ll tell ‘em that I also bought put protection and call-wrote in case my tinfoil hat is not in tune with everybody else’s tinfoil hats.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 24 November 2010 05:10 AM #90

Eric, is that you?