AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 24 November 2010 09:47 AM #91

A general strike uniting public and private sectors hit Portugal today. Protest is against government moves intended to calm down debt-market apprehension.

The Irish government is to announce details of its austerity plan later today. Discussions continue on the rescue plan to be put in place by the European Union and the International Monetary Fund. Standard and Poor?s cut the long-term sovereign rating on Ireland to A from AA-.

Euro-zone September industrial orders fall 3.8%  against an expected fall of 3%. German business sentiment improved sharply on the other hand. British gross domestic product expanded by 0.8% Q3 and compared to same period last year, GDP expanded by 2.8%.

The United States announced today that it would hold military drills with South Korea in the Yellow Sea starting on Sunday. The USS George Washington carrier strike group left Japan to join Republic of Korea naval forces for exercises in the series announced in July. In the meantime North Korea continues its propaganda war against the World.

Summing up, the inflation problem in China persists, Ireland, Portugal and Spain still have an unresolved debt issue, North Korea continues to challenge the Republic of Korea - United States alliance and in the domestic front, the FED lowered its growth forecast for 2010 and 2011.

Global markets are starting to find footing after yesterday?s selloff. Europe is mostly up and Asia ended mixed, but off of lows.

Jobless claims sink 34,000 to 407,000. Weekly claims now at lowest since 2008. October durable-goods orders down 3.3%. Core inflation PCE up record low of 0.9% year-on-year.

Major indexes held above last week?s lows. The DJI managed to close above its 50-day moving average after testing below it. Markets are oversold and set to rally. However we are still on the midst of a correction.

Are we ready to rock and roll?

USDX at 79.75 down flatly -0.02%. Euro at 1.3355 down -0.13%. British Pound at 1.5795 up 0.11% and Canadian at 0.9856 up 0.96%. Japanese Yen at 1.1989 down -0.29%.

miniDJI at 11,061 adding 47 points up 0.43%. 50-day moving average 11,030

S&P 500 at 1184.60 up 0.53%. 50-day moving average 1170.

NASDAQ 100 at 2,130 up 0.52%

AAPL at $312.79 up 1.32% on PM.

Now for the open and a well deserved Thanksgiving rally.

• Posted: 24 November 2010 10:22 AM #92

There is talk on seeking alpha site about a possible slingshot move higher based on this past Monday Move, which was derailed a bit by a North Korea tantrum. It appears to be back on track for today and Black Friday. This could mean 320 on Friday and possibly another 10-20 pt move by Dec 10

Posted: 24 November 2010 11:37 AM #93

I like this move and expect us to get to the 330 range before too long. Apple is firing on all cylinders and this next 16mo. period is going to be huge (duh). With the current products in the pipeline, new sources like daily newspapers, the NC data center coming online and expanded mobile services, potential lawsuit wins (eventually something will happen and I believe it will be in Apple’s favor), new carriers for the iPhone and the explosion of the iPad (we haven’t seen anything yet), the huge improvement on the MBA, etc. They must be as giddy as I am in Cupertino.

Happy Thanksgiving all and get out there and shop!

Posted: 24 November 2010 11:52 AM #94

Eric,

Thank you for the education.  Noted a bullish divergence yesterday when you guys are shouting buy, buy, buy.  Almost bought some weekly calls (day trade).  Still not at ease with day trade :oops:.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 24 November 2010 12:05 PM #95

Good Morning Boys and Girls

Typing this on my iPad while vacationing in Albuquerque.  My sister in law works for Intel but yet the whole family owns iPhones and they are about to get an iPad.

The sponge bought more stock yesterday and woke up with a baby house call.  It will be history after today’s nice bounce grin

I got a speeding ticket yesterday and told my wife that a mere .35 gain in Apple will pay for it.  Well now I can pay for a bunch more :-D

Will Be in Santa Fe today taking pictures and video.  On Friday I will be in Sedona.  By Monday my new iMovie movie will leave my friends In awe over how cool my iPhone and Mac computers are.smile

• Posted: 24 November 2010 01:00 PM #96

Still can’t break 315 with conviction. Noticing since it attempted to break 315… lower highs on subsequent tries.

Posted: 24 November 2010 01:04 PM #97

The U.S. Attorney in Manhattan today announced the arrest of Don Ching Trang Chu, seemingly starting the next phase of the massive government investigation into insider trading.

Chu, an employee at an ?expert network? firm, has been charged with ?conspiring to promote the firm?s consultation services by arranging for insiders at publicly-traded companies to provide material, nonpublic information to the firm?s hedge fund clients for the purpose of executing profitable securities transactions,? according to a press release this morning.

We?ll have more as it comes in. UPDATE: Our Journal colleagues reported Chu has been listed as an Asia expert for Primary Global Research, identified earlier as one of the web of firms whose consultants are under investigation by federal officials.

Full article

Posted: 24 November 2010 01:37 PM #98

Got scared out yesterday and raised cash, had to chase it today, and will hold overnight 3/4.  Once we break to new ATHs, I hope the choppiness ends.
    EDIT: EOD selloff?

[ Edited: 24 November 2010 01:43 PM by zulu ]      

Posted: 24 November 2010 01:47 PM #99

thealct - 24 November 2010 05:00 PM

Still can’t break 315 with conviction. Noticing since it attempted to break 315… lower highs on subsequent tries.

Past few weeks present many opportunities for swing and day traders.  For those who are uncomfortable to trade on margin like Eric and omacvi, weekly options are good replacement for shares, small outlay low risk high return.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 24 November 2010 03:28 PM #100

adamthompson3232 - 24 November 2010 06:43 PM

A friend of mine is the lead architect on all things sling box, including this app. Will get some general sales feedback going forward. He expects this to be really big.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/27608/

Love the previous version for iPhone that was usable on iPad. Will try it on. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted: 24 November 2010 03:31 PM #101

Hellooo! Anybody there? Volume is coming to a halt on a already thinly traded day. Wonder if someone is going to bother to show up for the half day session next Friday. Maybe the machines, but who knows?

A lot can happen until Friday (or Monday) in China, Ireland, Portugal or Korea. The Irish government earlier today unveiled its four-year plan to cut public spending and increase taxes. Corporate tax rate will be kept at 12.5% though. The USS George Washington leading a carrier strike group is on its way to the Yellow Sea were joint U.S. - South Korean war games are set to begin Sunday.

The first arrest in the insider-trading investigation happened today. Hedge funds and mutual funds are on the microscope but the individual taken into custody is an employee of an “expert networking firm”, that render services to connect consultants with investors looking for detailed information about industries and companies.

USDX at 79.745 flat. Euro at 1.3351 down -0.16%. FXE -0.19%.

DJI at 11,182.40 adding 145.88 points up 1.32%

SPX at 1197.59 up 1.42%. A test of resistance at 1200 may happen soon. Watch for possible pullback.

NDX at 2161.92 up 2.14%.

VIX at 19.03 down -7.76. Rebounding a bit from late 18s.

XLF up 1.18%. BAC at $11.24 up 1.41%, JPM at 38.02 up 1.04%. C at $4.17 up 1.71%.

AMZN at 177.09 up 5.29%. CREE $63.75 up 8.97%. Outperforming the market.

AAPL at $314.77 up 1.96%. Volume at 11 million shares traded. Low $311.75 and high $315.40.

Still on correction mode and until otherwise, this is a relief bounce. Caution is warranted as there are many macro headwinds.

Wish a happy Thanksgiving to all!

TSA Thanksgiving travel ad

Posted: 24 November 2010 03:32 PM #102

Mace - 24 November 2010 05:47 PM
    thealct - 24 November 2010 05:00 PM

Past few weeks present many opportunities for swing and day traders.  For those who are uncomfortable to trade on margin like Eric and omacvi, weekly options are good replacement for shares, small outlay low risk high return.

Because I’m architecturally distracted while exploring integrating zero-emmission building into the next potential project and my trades are high percentage profitable, with the exception of options, I’m trading with cash from a margin account because doing so lowers my operating costs and because like Elder says, traders cannot risk everything on one trade so why leverage up?

You can look at what I found while I perfect the run-on sentence through the inclusion of the dangling participial.

http://www.dotgreenusa.com/index.php?page=0105.HUF_ART_9

[ Edited: 24 November 2010 03:40 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 24 November 2010 03:42 PM #103

CNBC about to release some Apple Beatles sales numbers after the commercial break.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 24 November 2010 03:46 PM #104

Eric Landstrom - 24 November 2010 07:32 PM

You can look at what I found while I perfect the run-on sentence through the inclusion of the dangling participial.

http://www.dotgreenusa.com/index.php?page=0105.HUF_ART_9

Great Eric, go for it.

You will be feeding my third largest position LDK SOLAR, an up and coming integrated SOLAR CELL/POLYSILICON producer in China. One that I have waited now paitently for going on two years to actually get up from the construction phase, and into the mass making money pumping phase.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 24 November 2010 04:13 PM #105

While Apple has flatlined here, my Dec ITM calls continue to drift up in value. I guess traders are willing to pay more and more to get long with bullish sentiment for Apple rising.