FYI:  for 18 minutes last April, China ‘hijacked 15% of all Internet traffic’, including all of .gov’s, .mil’s, the U.S. Senate’s & NASA’s.

Posted: 27 November 2010 12:14 PM

Y’all probably knew (but I just found out & am feeling rather chicken-littled about it, I must confess) that for 18 min. last Apr, China Telecom “hijacked massive volumes of Internet traffic”, “about 15%” of the world’s total, including all of .gov’s, .mil’s, the U.S. Senate’s and NASA’s traffic and of some companies like Dell, Yahoo!, Microsoft and IBM.  According to my source (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/july-dec10/chinainternet_11-26.html):

“Last week, the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, a congressionally chartered panel, issued a stinging report. Its conclusion? That a state-owned Chinese communications firm, China Telecom ‘hijacked massive volumes of Internet traffic’...

When all the communications from tens of thousand of computer networks was routed to China, that included all the Web traffic, e-mail, and instant messages to and from dot.mil—that’s the Department of Defense—and dot.gov—those are U.S. governments departments. The U.S. Senate and NASA also had all their traffic diverted. Companies like Dell, Yahoo!, Microsoft and IBM had their data diverted by China Telecom, too.

On that day in April, officers logging into a Pentagon Web site ended up looking at an image that came to their screen via China.

It’s not clear what China did with the Internet traffic routed through its computers, and it’s not clear if the data that passed through China was saved to be examined later.”

Note:  The video is very worth watching!

Signature

Dave J.

- my most favorite Chinese Cookie fortune:  “Stiff in opinion; always in the wrong.”

- my second most favorite Chinese Cookie fortune:  “There is something seeing and there is something being seen.”