iPad predictions from Jan

Posted: 28 November 2010 01:07 AM

Good for a laugh

Note all the Techie comments. Proves that they aren’t the average customer and ease of use wins out over tech specs.

• Posted: 28 November 2010 09:32 AM #1

Let’s not forget these figures from PED’s Jan 28th article, the day after the announcement:

Even if we ignore everyone below Chris Whitmore. Every single one was exceeded by the end of September…

Signature

• Posted: 28 November 2010 12:58 PM #2

The comments in the original post do a great job of illustrating how the typical techie is too anchored in prevailing wisdom to have any foresight or vision at all.  If it was up to these guys, they would never leave a single feature or interface behind in the creation of a new product.  Then there is the rush to judge based upon that very same anchoring. The genius of Apple is that they don’t let such conventional “wisdom” stop them from leaving the past behind and creating breakthrough products.

Posted: 28 November 2010 11:30 PM #3

As pointed out a recent posting on my stats, the iPad has been a popular device in accessing this site. 102k out of 1.06m views came from iPad users. A statistically interesting number.

http://www.asymco.com/2010/11/23/measuring-ipad-enterprise-use/

• Posted: 28 November 2010 11:36 PM #4

As a couple of you suggested, I read the comments. They were eerily similar to the comments that were made when the original iPod was introduced. I’ve posted a few here for your entertainment. Remember as you read that these comments were made in MacRumors - an Apple Website. Just replace “iPod” with “iPad” and you almost can’t tell the difference between the comments made about the iPod in 2001 and the comments made about the iPad in 2010.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500&hgf=234

NAME

“Stupid name.”

“iPoop… iCry. I was so hoping for something more.”

NO NEED

Gee , you’ve got music everywhere you go…oooohhh boy! When I walk I don’t need music, when I train in Ninjutsu I don’t need music and when I jog I don’t need music.

I have no use for an Mp3 player?The iPod requires me to change my lifestyle to meet it’s needs…I need round holes, not square holes. For $99 I might buy the toy, for $399? Why?

REVOLUTIONARY

trully revolutionary MY ASSSS!

Not exactly “revolutionary”. With the economy in its current state, You’ll be able to pick up MP3 players for peanuts soon.

this really isn’t that revolutionary of a product.

FAIL

I still can’t believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!

All that hype for an MP3 player? Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field? is starting to warp Steve’s mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off.

Steve Jobs: “Isn’t this cool? It’s never been this fast or this easy before.” Me: Uhh, no!

Why oh why would they do this?! It’s so wrong! It’s so stupid!

OK, I’ll admit this thing is a very cool MP3 player, but it seems like it could be so much more.

Think Different is dead.

Great just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player.
    Sounds very revolutionary to me.

CANNIBALIZE OTHER APPLE PRODUCTS

by marketing an overpriced Mac-only MP3 player to the Mac audience, it will be inadvertently biting into future iBook and iMac upgrades?

MARKET DISAPPROVAL

Mmmm. APPL is already down $1.00…Looks like the markets aren’t looking too favorably on Apple’s new forays into the digital device market.

NO FUTURE

Any way you spin this it is:
    1. Not revolutionary.
    2. A bad fit.
    3. Without a future.

• Posted: 29 November 2010 12:41 AM #5

Awesome homework assignment Fal… :D

Strange how they didn’t get it then, they don’t get it now.

Signature

• Posted: 29 November 2010 01:27 AM #6

rattyuk - 29 November 2010 04:41 AM

Awesome homework assignment Fal… :D

Unique - 29 November 2010 05:04 AM

Interesting find FalKirk.

Thanks and thanks. If I’d really done my homework, I would have juxtaposed the January comments on the iPad with the 2001 comments on the iPod. I said this before, but it’s worth saying again - the responses to the two events is eerily similar.

• Posted: 29 November 2010 05:44 AM #7

Unique - 29 November 2010 05:04 AM

Interesting find FalKirk.

Epiphany will never be felt by these people.

I’m struck by the unchanging nature of comments. The natural cynicism is expected and healthy. What they are responding to however is the very rare Apple phenomenon. The cynic is to be forgiven for his apprehension here. The assembled talent and focused leadership of Apple is rare in human experience. It is uplifting. For anyone stuck in that perpetual cynical darkness, a study of our Apple is a real cause for optimism.

Posted: 29 November 2010 06:49 AM #8

My personal fave:

Gee , you’ve got music everywhere you go…oooohhh boy! When I walk I don’t need music, when I train in Ninjutsu I don’t need music and when I jog I don’t need music.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 29 November 2010 10:52 AM #9

danthemason - 29 November 2010 09:44 AM

I’m struck by the unchanging nature of comments. The natural cynicism is expected and healthy. What they are responding to however is the very rare Apple phenomenon. The cynic is to be forgiven for his apprehension here. The assembled talent and focused leadership of Apple is rare in human experience. It is uplifting. For anyone stuck in that perpetual cynical darkness, a study of our Apple is a real cause for optimism.

The thing is, I think I felt pretty much the same way that those commentators did when I saw Steve Jobs demonstrate the iPad. I’m pretty sure I wasn’t as negative, but I was so disappointed that there wasn’t, well, you know, more. More of what, I didn’t know. But I most definitely wanted more of something. Like them, I just didn’t see that the iPad was going to be all that big a deal. A niche product, I figured, maybe like the previous incarnation of the MacBook Air. Boy was I wrong.

The thing is, I just don’t see how Steve Jobs can time after time after time see what we cannot. If it’s hard to see the potential in a device like the iPod or the iPad when one is reviewing it as an already made product, then what kind of genius does it take to see the potential in a product that only exists in one’s imagination?

Posted: 29 November 2010 12:17 PM #10

The difference is in the details.  The iPod made MP3 listening easy.  The iPhone made using a smart phone easy.  The iPad made using a tablet easy. Apple does this over and over again - and it’s their bread and butter.

Signature

Tron is cool

Posted: 30 November 2010 02:00 PM #11

FalKirk - 29 November 2010 02:52 PM
    danthemason - 29 November 2010 09:44 AM

The thing is, I just don’t see how Steve Jobs can time after time after time see what we cannot . . . . .what kind of genius does it take to see the potential in a product that only exists in one’s imagination?

Well said, FalKirk, clear and eloquent.

I have textClipped your comment and Bookmarked this page for future reference.

As a proud Applefan, I know why my allegiance sit as it does. No amount of disparaging word play by Envyboys can destroy the reality of your words. Apple has seen the future and it is come, to the consternation of old grannies copying from the past, scrambling headlong into the present. (Remember a certain non-visionary’s two-piece tablet, short time ago?)

By his revelations, Einstein jumped the future a hundred years, but it took an eclipse for the world to accept his vision. Steve visualized and made practical the possibilities of the GUI, the iPod and iPad way before their time.

Every proud Applefan I know sees the potholes in the roads laid out by Steve, yet still marvels in the trip Apple is taking us.

[ Edited: 30 November 2010 02:03 PM by mhikl ]

Signature

Know History; not just your Folklore! At least until I find time to rewrite the laws of physics.

• Posted: 30 November 2010 02:06 PM #12

Unique - 29 November 2010 06:32 PM

Just out of curiosity, FalKirk are you a stockholder (or options holder) of Apple? (I don’t mean to be invasive, just curious)

I am not a stockholder or options holder of Apple. I am just an admiring observer who is fascinated by what Apple has done and continues to do.