Copy attachments from mail on iPhone to a Mac

Posted: 29 November 2010 02:38 PM

Here is the problem. The WiFi at my wife’s work is unreliable and the IT people even less so. She needs to get an attachment from Mail on her iPhone to her MacBook Pro. The attachment is a Word doc file and while she can view it on the iPhone she needs to make changes to it using Word.

Is there an App for that? Or is there an easy way to mount the iPhone on the Mac and access Mail attachments?

[ Edited: 13 November 2013 09:21 PM by Intruder ]

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 29 November 2010 06:15 PM #1

Stupidly simplistic, but oft overlooked: webmail?

Signature

-Matt Cox / Mac Technician / Matt on Twitter

Posted: 29 November 2010 06:22 PM #2

houltmac - 29 November 2010 10:15 PM

Stupidly simplistic, but oft overlooked: webmail?

She often can’t get email at work, either on her MacBook or her work PC, because the WiFi system is often down. She can get email on her iPhone via the AT&T 3G network. I suppose I could get her a 3G dongle for the MacBook, but what I am looking for is a way to get the email attachment that is on the iPhone to the MacBook. Is there a way to use the synch cable to go from the iPhone to the Mac?

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 29 November 2010 06:29 PM #3

Firstly, let me congratulate you. That’s the first I’ve heard of AT&T working where WiFi doesn’t - that’s totally back to front.

The only thing I can think to do is to try and get the file into iBooks somehow, and then using that to sync the file to a computer.

Another thought: can’t you setup Air Sharing (or similar) and create a WiFi access point from the Mac which the iPhone can connect to (don’t forget to add a password).

Signature

-Matt Cox / Mac Technician / Matt on Twitter

Posted: 29 November 2010 06:55 PM #4

I have been browsing the App store which needs subcategories because it is getting hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. Anyway maybe something like FileMagnet. I am going to ask the developer if it would work for my wife’s situation.

Signature

• Posted: 30 November 2010 12:00 PM #5

Hello! First of all, sorry for my English!

I would like to suggest you to try the GoodReader app. With this app you’re able to save attached files such word files, PDF files and others into GoodReader which has a little file sever, so your wife can create an wifi network on her MacBook and connect the iPhone on this network, open the GoodReader, starts the wifi sharing then open the link displayed on GoodReader on Safari’s MacBook and copy the doc file!

More details here: http://www.goodreader.net/gr-man-tr-wifi.html

I hope can help!

Posted: 30 November 2010 12:05 PM #6

Isn’t DropBox available for both iPhone and Mac? She could just take the MacBook and the phone somewhere that has WiFi for this file transfer.

The bigger issue for me is that her WiFi network is not stable. Is it bad for everyone or are they just blocking the Macs?

[ Edited: 30 November 2010 12:13 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 30 November 2010 12:20 PM #7

Hello geoduck, the problem with the Dropbox is not registered to open files attached to Mail app, so you can’t copy a file to Dropbox!

But there are two services that you register and get an email address which is used to save files attached sent to this email on Dropbox ...

The services are: http://gethabilis.com and http://sendtodropbox.com . I have never tested no one of this services ...

Posted: 30 November 2010 12:28 PM #8

Fabio - 30 November 2010 04:20 PM

the problem with the Dropbox is not registered to open files attached to Mail app, so you can’t copy a file to Dropbox!.

Bummer, I didn’t think of that.
    Of course it just hit me that if she took the phone and MacBook somewhere with good WiFi, she could just send it via mail and not worry about DropBox. The problem is the bad WiFi.
    D’oh.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 30 November 2010 12:42 PM #9

If it’s her own mac, where she can install her own software, I would look for something on the Mac first (via cable). I personally use iPhone Explorer, but I forget where I got it. Google it? (oops. there it is: http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/)

I would see this as a two-step process. Get the file into GoodReader, and from there, use iPhone Explorer to go to GoodReader’s Documents folder, and grab it from there.

WARNING! This app is very powerful, and if she’s not careful, to stick to the Documents folder, she could do irreparable damage to her phone. Just be careful here. wink

-Jon

Signature

-Jon

Posted: 30 November 2010 01:02 PM #10

Geoduck, Fabio, JonGI, and houltmac thanks for the input and suggestions.

My wife manages a military recreation facility at a relatively remote location. Not that it is out in the boonies, but that it is well away from the central office and “town” in general. Internet access to the local WiFi router is spotty; I think that it is a combination of old wiring, security, and that it is not mission critical for the facility. She can get cell service including texting on her iPhone, 3G service usually works though at times she needs to go outside of the building. They are not blocking Macs on the their network, when it works it works fine.

There are a number of apps that let us move files from the iPhone to a Mac or Pc, but they all seem to want to use WiFi and not the synch cable. Setting up her own WiFi would probably violate security regulations so I am not even going there. The work WiFi would probably fill the bill and I am going to try one of the apps and see if it easy enough for her to master.

What happened was that on Sunday night she wrote a paper for her college class and emailed it to me for editing. Yesterday morning I edited the paper and emailed it back to her to make the actual changes. No internet access on the WiFi so she could get email on her MacBook or work supplied PC. Of course she got the email on her iPhone, but couldn’t get the attachment onto the Mac.

What I would like to see is an easy way to mount the iPhone on a Mac and drag files across as if it was a just another external hard drive. Or a way to synch Mail via the cable. We have a MobileMe family pack account and use the cloud for synching, storing important files and such.

Sidebar - She is using Office 11 for the Mac and I also have installed on my Macs. I am finding this latest version of Word to be pretty good, I used the Comment feature when editing her document. I prefer InDesign over Word, but that is probably mostly a deeply rooted habit. For basic notes and simple documents I use TextEdit.

Sidebar #2 - A few weeks ago I downloaded the trial version of Aperture and I like it a lot. There is a learning curve, but once I got around the bend I found it easy going. Anyway, this is what I want for Christmas. Amazon has version 3 on sale for $155 which is $45 off of list, I ordered a copy.

Signature

• Posted: 30 November 2010 02:53 PM #11

Sir Harry Flashman - 30 November 2010 05:02 PM

There are a number of apps that let us move files from the iPhone to a Mac or Pc, but they all seem to want to use WiFi and not the synch cable.

<snip>

What I would like to see is an easy way to mount the iPhone on a Mac and drag files across as if it was a just another external hard drive.

That was why I suggested the iPhone Explorer app. wink But today, if you download their other app, and register it before Dec 1, you can actually mount your iPhone like a hard drive. Nice. (though, honestly, if you want quick access to folders related to a specific app, you probably want iPhone Explorer.) I think you’ll find it does what you need.

-Jon.

Signature

-Jon

Posted: 30 November 2010 03:11 PM #12

Thanks JonGI. I downloaded and installed those files. I have a hot iron in the fire so I only took a cursory look at the apps and will dig in later.

Signature

• Posted: 13 November 2013 08:36 PM #13

If you want to transfer files from iPhone to Mac, there are different soltutions for your question, the third-party programs that make it easy to transfer your files like music, video, app and photo collection from an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a Mac. iPhone to Mac Transfer can help you to transfer your files from iPhone to your Mac.