Secret Sauce behind future iPad/iPhone LCD displays

Posted: 30 November 2010 05:55 PM

LG Display is jointly developing next generation Quantum Dot LEDs

QLEDs bring numerous benefits to the solid state lighting and display markets, including:

Pure color—Will deliver 30-40% luminance efficiency advantage over organic light emitting diodes (OLEDs) at the same color point.
    Low power consumption—QLEDs have the potential to be more than twice as power efficient as OLEDs at the same color purity.
    Low-cost manufacture—The ability to print large-area QLEDs on ultra-thin flexible substrates will reduce luminaire manufacturing cost.
    Ultrathin, transparent, flexible form factors—QLEDs will enable designers to develop new display and lighting forms not possible with existing technologies.

LG is also working with nanosys, which builds a quantum dot based backlight.

Let’s hope they move these from engineering development to production with the help of Apple as they would provide better color with reduced power consumption.

Posted: 30 November 2010 07:06 PM #1

pats - 30 November 2010 09:55 PM

LG Display is jointly developing next generation Quantum Dot LEDs

QLEDs bring numerous benefits to the solid state lighting and display markets, including:

Pure color—Will deliver 30-40% luminance efficiency advantage over organic light emitting diodes (OLEDs) at the same color point.
    Low power consumption—QLEDs have the potential to be more than twice as power efficient as OLEDs at the same color purity.
    Low-cost manufacture—The ability to print large-area QLEDs on ultra-thin flexible substrates will reduce luminaire manufacturing cost.
    Ultrathin, transparent, flexible form factors—QLEDs will enable designers to develop new display and lighting forms not possible with existing technologies.

LG is also working with nanosys, which builds a quantum dot based backlight.

Let’s hope they move these from engineering development to production with the help of Apple as they would provide better color with reduced power consumption.

Pats, please go look at a MB Air, please. Apple is already way ahead of the pack.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 30 November 2010 11:21 PM #2

My wife won’t let me near an Apple store, :wink:  I always leave with something new.  Apple is using leading edge IPS LCD screens, The nano dots will allow them to further reduce power consumption.  The LCD screen and backlight are the largest power draw, so if I can get another 30% I’m all in.  The improvement in battery technology is about 5% per year so a 30% power reduction for the LCD panel is a huge deal.

• Posted: 01 December 2010 12:16 AM #3

That is really interesting.  Even more so, as I have met one of the VC’s who backed the company.  Small world.  Maybe someday I can talk to him about it.

Posted: 01 December 2010 12:38 AM #4

pats - 01 December 2010 03:21 AM

My wife won’t let me near an Apple store, :wink:  I always leave with something new.  Apple is using leading edge IPS LCD screens, The nano dots will allow them to further reduce power consumption.  The LCD screen and backlight are the largest power draw, so if I can get another 30% I’m all in.  The improvement in battery technology is about 5% per year so a 30% power reduction for the LCD panel is a huge deal.

Pats, I repeat go look at the Air. It has a High resolution LED-backlit screen. No LCD

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 01 December 2010 12:42 AM #5

LED is what they use for backlight as opposed to a fluorescent lamp. The underlying screen tech is still LCD.

Posted: 01 December 2010 02:04 AM #6

Yep, it’s still LCD, it’s CCFL flourescent backlighting that’s no longer being used.  I have to say, IPS LED LCD tech is really sweet.  I don’t see any flavor of OLED being the reason why Apple loses ground in any of its product lines.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 01 December 2010 09:26 AM #7

mbeauch - 01 December 2010 04:38 AM
    pats - 01 December 2010 03:21 AM

Pats, I repeat go look at the Air. It has a High resolution LED-backlit screen. No LCD

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

As others have pointed out.  The screen is a TFT-LCD and for the iPhone uses H-IPS with Advanced Fring Field Switching and an LED backlight.  A backlight has a huge amount of energy loss and the nanodot backlight will allow an improvement in energy efficiency and improved color accuracy over todays LED backlight.  A panel equipped with the nanodot technology will be a worthy competitor for Samsung’s Super AMOLED panel.

Posted: 01 December 2010 06:48 PM #8

Samsung was demoing a new lower cost PLS display via Electronista

Samsung today unveiled a new form of LCD technology that could improve image quality even beyond existing IPS displays. Known as Super PLS (Plane to Line Switching), it changes the shape of the pixels to emit more light from the sides. The technique doubles the typical viewing angle with a bright picture but also improves the overall brightness by 10 percent.

Along with the improved image, Samsung has also managed to reduce the manufacturing costs by 15 percent compared to IPS

I place my money on Nanodots only because their cool, but reality if you get better and cheaper, you got to take a look.  Longer term I think AMOLED will win the battle, but production isn’t there yet so Apple needs to keep working with LG & Samsung to improve what they currently make.