Powerbook G4 Airport Card

• Posted: 06 December 2010 05:34 PM

How does one tell when the Airport Card has given up the ghost? The card does not sense the Airport Extreme Station when it is sitting right next to the station. Nor does it pick up any of the other random signals that appear from around the neighborhood. The Macbook in the house as well as the wife’s PC laptop and iPhone have no issues with the base station. The Mac itself is not giving me any error messages. Everything else appears good though, internet over the ethernet cable works fine.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Posted: 06 December 2010 05:54 PM #1

When that happened to mine a number of years ago, I took out the battery, removed the Airport card (wearing my static strap) and carefully reseated it. I restarted, and it came up fine.

That’d be a start.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 06 December 2010 06:04 PM #2

Thanks I’ll try that when I get home…...

Posted: 07 December 2010 04:53 PM #3

Curious what System Profiler’s Network->Airport->Interfaces section shows. For reference, my MacBook Pro it shows:

en1:
      Card Type:  AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C)
      Firmware Version:  Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.1)
      Locale:  FCC
      Country Code:  X0
      Supported PHY Modes:  802.11 a/b/g/n
      Supported Channels:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
      Wake On Wireless:  Supported

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 07 December 2010 06:15 PM #4

So I did the remove the battery and unplug the card bit and that didn’t work. So I ran Tech Tools and Disk Utility. Nothing major, just a few minor permissions repaired.

Next I opened up ‘System Preferences’ and selected the ‘Network’ settings. In there I received a repeating error message along the lines of “Network settings have been changed by another application” I would hit ‘Ok’ and the message would pop up again. I did some fast clicking in the 0.5 second between the message closing and popping up, thus I managed to close the Preferences. Any guesses? Bug, virus or time for a clean install?

Posted: 08 December 2010 10:23 AM #5

What’s System Profiler say? Easy way to get there is to choose “About this Mac” from the Apple menu, then click on More Info.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 08 December 2010 02:41 PM #6

There are a few causes of the error you saw in System Preferences. I wouldn’t expect any of them to cause any real issues, but it’s worth sorting out as part of the troubleshooting process. Check out the link below for info on that:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1712387&tstart=0

As, Dave points out though, System Profiler will help far more in the long run.

Signature

-Matt Cox / Mac Technician / Matt on Twitter