Another reason to trash Flash

• Posted: 09 December 2010 11:50 PM

It comes to light that Flash provides a harbor for for super-spies. 

So it is not enough that one regularly deletes Cookies and limits Flash use with Click-to-Flash.  One must eradicate Flash from one’s computer altogether.  Ideas?

• Posted: 10 December 2010 12:31 AM #1

capablanca - 10 December 2010 03:50 AM

It comes to light that Flash provides a harbor for for super-spies. 

So it is not enough that one regularly deletes Cookies and limits Flash use with Click-to-Flash.  One must eradicate Flash from one’s computer altogether.  Ideas?

I believe there’s a method through Adobe’s Website that allows one to change settings to not download nefarious items embedded in Flash content. I avoid Flash content whenever possible.

• Posted: 10 December 2010 12:33 AM #2

Try this link for more information from Adobe on how to change Flash settings.

Posted: 10 December 2010 12:05 PM #3

:groucho: There is a certain irony that we’re discussing this on a site with Flash Ads.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 10 December 2010 01:09 PM #4

I have been using Click to Flash to block all Flash content for months now. Since Adobe updated it recently, I decided yesterday to disable Click to Flash and allow flash content to load.

What did they fix? Within jumps to five website, my browser crashed!

Remind me why it is used again?

Posted: 10 December 2010 02:38 PM #5

Here is a different approach to eliminating Flash that uses a Safari extension as opposed to the Click-to-Flash plug-in.

• Posted: 08 March 2011 12:41 PM #6

I have all my browsers set to disable Flash until it’s been clicked on, too. It’s mostly because of the CPU and RAM it wastes. I use ClickToFlash in Safari, FlashBlock in Firefox.

However I don’t block ads in general because I still want the sites I support to get paid for ad impressions when I go there. But I just can’t abide Flash.

[ Edited: 08 March 2011 12:44 PM by David Nelson ]      
  • Posted: 08 March 2011 11:37 PM #7

Here’s the info from Adobe Labs.

• Posted: 09 March 2011 12:03 AM #8

jimlongo - 10 December 2010 06:38 PM

Here is a different approach to eliminating Flash that uses a Safari extension as opposed to the Click-to-Flash plug-in.

Half way through my eyes glazed over.  I don’t need Flash bad enough to go to the trouble.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 09 March 2011 12:06 AM #9

David Nelson - 08 March 2011 04:41 PM

I have all my browsers set to disable Flash until it’s been clicked on, too. It’s mostly because of the CPU and RAM it wastes. I use ClickToFlash in Safari, FlashBlock in Firefox.

However I don’t block ads in general because I still want the sites I support to get paid for ad impressions when I go there. But I just can’t abide Flash.

If those sites want my support they’ll dump Flash.  No compromise.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.