Advice before I buy my iMac tomorrow

Posted: 22 December 2010 07:34 PM #16

JRay - 22 December 2010 06:57 PM

Looks like I will be purchasing my iMac tomorrow. Just wanted to throw a couple of questions out to the board to get your thoughts/advice before I pull the trigger. Being my first Apple computer, I’m going in a little blind.

1) Screen size - Thoughts on whether the 27” is worth the money? It seems the 22” is plenty big enough. But Damn It when they put it next to the 27”??. I know you get a bigger HD and it?s a little faster, but I doubt I will notice that, so I’d basically be buying for the larger screen. Anyone have any regrets after getting the 22 or notice any clear advantages of the 27?

2) Printer - Want a wireless that does a good job with photos and also scans/copies. There are a ton of different HP models out there that fit the bill. Little nervous about the $100 ones though. Seems like quality could be an issue at that price point?

3) Getting iWork with it. Anything else I should buy at the time of purchase? I guess I will get handbrake at some point.

4) Magic Trackpad?

Any other advice appreciated.

Thanks

Absolutely get the 27”‘er , you stare at the screen all day long, and having a large screen allows for multiple frames to be viewed concurrently, this is a MUST GET don’t skimp on the screen. I traded UP from the old 24” iMac, and the difference is certainly notable AND appreciated. The older you get { I’m 62, the more the larger screen helps. }

The Magic Trackpad is super cool, it also allows you to get familiar with trackpads so moving from a laptop to desk unit becomes more natural since you are using ONE system for pointing and the like.

Spring for the i7 processor if you can afford it, that will give you longer time before obsolescence sets in.

Third party memory is cheaper, easy to add as well, I buy from OTHER WORLD COMPUTING.

You will ADORE this machine, it is a dream come true!

[ Edited: 22 December 2010 07:37 PM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 22 December 2010 09:09 PM #17

Looks like I will be purchasing my iMac tomorrow. Just wanted to throw a couple of questions out to the board to get your thoughts/advice before I pull the trigger. Being my first Apple computer, I’m going in a little blind.

1) Screen size - Thoughts on whether the 27” is worth the money? It seems the 22” is plenty big enough. But Damn It when they put it next to the 27”??. I know you get a bigger HD and it?s a little faster, but I doubt I will notice that, so I’d basically be buying for the larger screen. Anyone have any regrets after getting the 22 or notice any clear advantages of the 27?

2) Printer - Want a wireless that does a good job with photos and also scans/copies. There are a ton of different HP models out there that fit the bill. Little nervous about the $100 ones though. Seems like quality could be an issue at that price point?

3) Getting iWork with it. Anything else I should buy at the time of purchase? I guess I will get handbrake at some point.

4) Magic Trackpad?

Thanks

1.  Definitely the 27” for more workspace and Netflix
    2.  I hate HP, love Brother
    3.  Airport Express and Time Capsule, or at least a TC.  If you currently have a Mac and buy and sync your TC to it before you unpack the iMac, then cloning your new iMac is effortless!!!
    4.  Trackpad is nice but optional, the magic mouse is actually better if you have carpal tunnel like me.
    5.  If you are into iMovie, Handbrake (free), iPhoto, or QuickTime Pro and have the money get the core i7

[ Edited: 22 December 2010 09:20 PM by zulu ]      

Posted: 22 December 2010 09:37 PM #18

zulu - 23 December 2010 01:09 AM

4) Magic Trackpad?

Thanks

1.  Definitely the 27” for more workspace and Netflix
    2.  I hate HP, love Brother
    3.  Airport Express and Time Capsule, or at least a TC.  If you currently have a Mac and buy and sync your TC to it before you unpack the iMac, then cloning your new iMac is effortless!!!
    4.  Trackpad is nice but optional, the magic mouse is actually better if you have carpal tunnel like me.
    5.  If you are into iMovie, Handbrake (free), iPhoto, or QuickTime Pro and have the money get the core i7

Zulu,

You may want to look into a Wacom tablet if you’re suffering from carpal tunnel.

Take a look:

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos4-Medium-Pen-Tablet/dp/B001TUYTZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293068202&sr=8-1

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 22 December 2010 10:07 PM #19

The 27” is better for watching movies, too.

The Apple Remote Control is another $ 19, iirc.

Be sure to read this thread one last time—> at the apple store.

[ Edited: 22 December 2010 10:10 PM by Tetrachloride ]      

Posted: 22 December 2010 10:12 PM #20

Zulu,

You may want to look into a Wacom tablet if you?re suffering from carpal tunnel.

I have and use both the magic mouse and magic trackpad.  Trackpad is great for recliner use from a distance, and as you recline back from the 27” you can increase page size with a flick of 2 fingers.  Chicks dig it too. :grinsanta:

• Posted: 23 December 2010 10:16 AM #21

Thanks for all of the advice.

Can’t wait to get it set up!

Posted: 23 December 2010 12:07 PM #22

Eric Landstrom - 22 December 2010 09:15 PM

Get the bigger screen

a Brother printer

I would agree.
    I have owned the Brother HL-4070 CDW for 2+ years and it is great.
    I upgraded from 24-inch iMac to 27 and it is great.

I would not buy iWork as the new iWork11 will ship on 06JAN2011.

Signature

Dave Barnes
    +1.303.744.9024
    WebEnhancement Services - Worldwide

• Posted: 23 December 2010 12:22 PM #23

Don’t sully the machine with Office; get iWork - iWork 11 when it comes out soon.

I’d get a Kodak printer; it’s not wireless but you won’t have to sell your kids to buy ink. The print quality is great.

As others have said you can never have enough screen real estate. Go for the 27” unless money is tight. You can always buy more RAM and get a bigger hard drive, but with the all-in-one design you can’t upgrade the monitor.

I have a 24” iMac (previous gen) and I do page layout work on it; it’s fantastic. Enjoy. They are beautiful machines.

BTW, if you want an extended keyboard with the number pad, you have to request it and it is only wired. It’s worth it in my opinion.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 23 December 2010 12:51 PM #24

Get the 27” i7 and you won’t be sorry. The 27” screen is gorgeous! After using the 27” for 9 months, now when ever I go back to my wife’s dual 19” monitors I feel cramped and the pictures look flat and two dimensional. The i7 processor has bone crunching power to process video and photos. The limiting speed factor has become the hard drive access speed.

Get a Time Capsule for sure. Peace of mind is worth the price.

If you want to convert all those family VHS tapes get an Elgato Video Capture. Nice interface and glitch free.

Download “Menue Meters” (FREE) and watch your 8 cores in action. I have yet to see them tasked much above 50% with well over 10 applications running including processing video and Photoshop renders simultaneously plus having 3 or 4 users open at the same time.

The big screen is great but the i7 is thr real reason to get this machine.

By the way, I have a second 24” 16:9 LCD monitor hooked up that is nice. I sometimes play movies on it while I work on the main screen.

Posted: 23 December 2010 01:23 PM #25

It may no longer be the case, but the 27” monitor had a better viewing angle than the smaller one.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 23 December 2010 01:34 PM #26

BillH - 22 December 2010 09:06 PM

Hp’s software has been crap for me and many others through the years.  I’m wired aio cannon here and wireless aio cannon at the cabin.  They work great and are highly recommended.

My wireless hp L7590 OfficeJet Pro, of all my many AIO’s, fax/printers & printers over the decades (3 Lexmarks, 3-4 Epsons, numerous Brothers, 1 Canon, 1 or 2 Kodaks, another simple hp, 2 Apple ImageWriter IIs & a StyleWriter, etc.), is by far the most reliable, fast, versatile & accurate and well-built.  HP always provided very responsive & knowledgable support.  Yes, twice their driver updates were quite late following Mac OSX upgrades, but those driver updates eventually were good.

[ Edited: 23 December 2010 01:51 PM by BurmaYank ]

Signature

Dave J.

- my most favorite Chinese Cookie fortune:  “Stiff in opinion; always in the wrong.”

- my second most favorite Chinese Cookie fortune:  “There is something seeing and there is something being seen.”

• Posted: 23 December 2010 03:39 PM #27

BurmaYank - 23 December 2010 05:34 PM
    BillH - 22 December 2010 09:06 PM

Hp’s software has been crap for me and many others through the years.  I’m wired aio cannon here and wireless aio cannon at the cabin.  They work great and are highly recommended.

My wireless hp L7590 OfficeJet Pro, of all my many AIO’s, fax/printers & printers over the decades (3 Lexmarks, 3-4 Epsons, numerous Brothers, 1 Canon, 1 or 2 Kodaks, another simple hp, 2 Apple ImageWriter IIs & a StyleWriter, etc.), is by far the most reliable, fast, versatile & accurate and well-built.  HP always provided very responsive & knowledgable support.  Yes, twice their driver updates were quite late following Mac OSX upgrades, but those driver updates eventually were good.

Only twice?  Doesn’t fit my recollection of the struggles with my extended families machines.  (I finally went all Office Space on them and replaced them with Cannon’s)  My earliest recollection of their nasty habits was when we bought a bunch of new PC’s for the office and switched to NT.  Brought one of the boxes home and picked up a HP aio from Office Depot.  It had a BIG sticker on the box that said it supported Windows NT.  Brought it home, set it up, installed the software (which also had an NT reference on it but am not positive) and…,nada.  Took them 9 months to roll out anything with scanner support and none of it ever worked very well.  Up until that time I just thought they were lousy at Mac software.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 23 December 2010 05:15 PM #28

Something that may have been overlooked is, go to the bookstore and find a up-to-date book on using a Mac. “Switching to the Mac” would be a good choice. It should help in the transition. And as others have suggested, stay with the Apple router (Airport Extreme). Everything just plays well better, when it’s all Apple. The Mac Mall and Amazon are great places to shop online for Apple products. Also, install a copy of Windows 7 on bootcamp for those programs and games you can’t find or don’t want to buy right now. The iMac is a great gamer.

Enjoy your new bragging rights.  :-D

:apple:

• Posted: 23 December 2010 05:21 PM #29

The screen is your desktop. Even 27 inches is pretty small for a desk. I’ve always gone for the largest screen that doesn’t break the bank.

I far prefer my current setup with a cheap Canon printer out of the way on the airport base station, and a Fujitsu Scansnap on the desk for scanning. The Scansnap is excellent and turns paper into pdf’s in seconds. I hardly used the scanner on my all-in-one’s.

I spend far more time on my computer than I do in the car, so which should have the bigger incremental spend after the basic functionality is bought? I say the Mac, so -

I have the 27 inch i7, and a 13 inch Macbook pro, an iPad and an iPhone. When I’m at home, I still use the Macbook for most productive work, lid shut with bluetooth keyboard, mouse and the 27 inch as its display (cmd-F2 flips between the two machines if I’m using the UI’s at the same time). The iMac is a home media server, and is used for iTunes, Handbrake, Final Cut Pro, for guest logins etc. Apple TV2’s feed off the iMac. I’ve just bought a Pioneer AV amp (920) that can be controlled from an iPhone just like iTunes and Apple TV. And it finally makes sense to have Apple TV’s in multiple rooms.

For web browsing, email, basic Aperture/Photoshop, spreadsheets etc, the macbook and big screen is just as good as the iMac, and everything automatically comes with me when I go out with the Macbook. It’s the best setup I’ve ever had.

Posted: 23 December 2010 07:06 PM #30

Nice to see you drop in Sleepy. Have a Merry Christmas. :smilesanta:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.