IPAD 2.0 - What’s it gonna look like and What will it do?

Posted: 28 December 2010 03:47 PM

All indications are that we are just a few weeks away from the unveiling of IPAD 2.0. The rumors are flying about what it will look like, whether it will support CDMA as well as UMTS, if it will be thinner, have one or two cameras, better speakers, faster processor. Post rumors and speculation here….

To get us started, today’s rumors

_______________________________-

iPad 2.0 rumors claim CDMA, UMTS, Wi-Fi flavors
    Jonny Evans | Discussion (4) 0
    December 28, 2010 at 4:11 am

iPad 2.0 activity continues to heat up with the latest report claiming Apple will offer multiple configurations of the new product, with an accent on provision of pervasive Internet access.

Apple is expected to ship over half a million iPad 2.0 units in January with mass production set to begin then, the report claims. It seems Apple will offer Wi-Fi-equipped units alongside UMTS and CDMA-savvy iPads, maximizing the always connected Internet device proposition.

Digitimes also tells us ?Apple, RIM and HTC will ship, respectively, 19-20 million, 14-15 million and 8-9 million smartphones in the first quarter of 2011, together sharing more than 50% of global smartphone shipments of 80-85 million units.?

Apple is expected to replace RIM as the second-ranked smartphone vendor.

or with a 20-25% global market share, followed by RIM, Samsung Electronics and HTC.

?In addition to wireless functions, Apple is also working on strengthening the iPad 2?s anti-smudge and anti-reflective treatments in order to compete against Kindle and attract more consumers, the sources noted.?

Apple is expected to take 65%-75% of the global tablet market with 40 million iPad 2.0 sales next year, the report informs.
    http://www.9to5mac.com/44815/ipad-2-0-rumors-claim-cdma-umts-wifi-flavors#more-44815

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 28 December 2010 07:14 PM #1

According to the the well-hooked-up Eldar Murtazin, editor of Russian language mobile-review.com the iPad 2 will have a regular old USB port.

Talked with colleague which working with some ODM vendors connected with Apple. He is research guy. According to his sources iPad2 will have usb port.

http://www.9to5mac.com/44884/ipad-2-to-have-usb-port

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 28 December 2010 07:41 PM #2

Speculation is such fun, but all it does is create froth which is used to manipulate the price of Apple’s stock IMO.  That said the iPad 2 should have a nice performance bump with the introduction of a ARM Cortex A9 based design.  Back in Jan before Apple bought Intrinsity, IEEE did an article and had this to say

Now that it?s souping up a next-generation Cortex-A9 for an undisclosed partner, Intrinsity is bidding to carve itself a slice of the market for higher-priced smartphones, netbooks, and other portables. And what a market it is! Just as PCs supplanted minicomputers and laptops supplanted PCs, so smartphones and netbooks will replace laptops for many of their uses. Intrinsity and other designers stand to do well for themselves.

Also the recent die shrink of NAND to 25NM allows Apple to fit double the NAND in the same space so depending on pricing they could offer a nice memory bump.

I would expect the RAM to bump to a 512MB min based on feeding the dual core A9 efficiently.  1GB would be a bit of a surprise since the camera/s are already adding to the BOM.

As far as battery life if I was Apple I would shoot for same range with a lighter weight, the iPad needs a diet.  Holding it in one hand for long periods is tough.

I would leave the screen at current resolution and let the cost go down as we move along the production curve and then look for a new screen in 2012.  The manufactures have struggled to keep pace with the current display so I wouldn’t upset the Apple cart so to speak :wink: . 

As far as new sensors.  The front camera makes alot of sense, back maybe.  six axis gyro vs current three axis.  Maybe NFC chipset/antenna but I think it’s a better match for iPhone 5.

Software wise.  Some type of file sharing OTA using the new Data Center and MobileMe.

• Posted: 29 December 2010 12:00 AM #3

Red shirted ensign - 28 December 2010 07:47 PM

All indications are that we are just a few weeks away from the unveiling of IPAD 2.0.

I doubt very much that there will be an iPad announcement in the near future. Apple will want to make any announcements as close to the date the iPad ships as possible. And I doubt the iPad will ship sooner than late March or early April, 2011.

Posted: 29 December 2010 01:21 AM #4

FalKirk - 29 December 2010 04:00 AM
    Red shirted ensign - 28 December 2010 07:47 PM

All indications are that we are just a few weeks away from the unveiling of IPAD 2.0.

I doubt very much that there will be an iPad announcement in the near future. Apple will want to make any announcements as close to the date the iPad ships as possible. And I doubt the iPad will ship sooner than late March or early April, 2011.

I agree. They are selling them as fast as they can make them.  The product cycle for this is much longer then usual. They hit a home run with the first batch and there is no real competition to speak of.

All I know is that I will be buying on as soon as it comes out and give my first one to my daughter.