iPad vs Playbook vs iPad 2

• Posted: 29 December 2010 04:29 AM

We’ve been hearing the co-CEOs talking about how their playbook is so much better than the iPad (first gen), but they are still talking about a vaporware so when the iPad 2 releases what the hell are they going to do? Are they that delusional and think it only takes less than a year to develop a tablet that is better than the iPad? Never mind the iPad 2. I don’t know what these co-CEOs are thinking but they were toasted since they announced the failure of the storm, and storm 2 phones to copy the iPhone AFTER 4 YEARS they cannot produce a replicate to compete with the touch screen iPhone.

Disclosure: Bought puts and shorted RIMM since it was at 62ish

Please excuse my grammar, I typed this up fast in about 30 seconds.

• Posted: 30 December 2010 12:53 AM #1

Paraphrasing Steve Jobs: Apple passed RIMM and that is pretty much it to that story.

I really wouldn’t expect much in the way of innovation out of RIMM. I have a number of reasons to think that, but all one has to do is listen to these RIMM CEOs talk. ouch.  New RIMM products will simply be copycats of the existing competition with minor tweaks that will make the user experience even more “sucky”.  Don’t get me wrong, RIMM will still sell plenty of “stuff” (see Nokia), but from a industry changing perspective, RIMM is powerless.

Signature

aka Sammy the Walrus IV
    AAPL Orchard

Twitter

Posted: 30 December 2010 01:00 AM #2

iOrlando - 30 December 2010 04:53 AM

Paraphrasing Steve Jobs: Apple passed RIMM and that is pretty much it to that story.

I really wouldn’t expect much in the way of innovation out of RIMM. I have a number of reasons to think that, but all one has to do is listen to these RIMM CEOs talk. ouch.  New RIMM products will simply be copycats of the existing competition with minor tweaks that will make the user experience even more “sucky”.  Don’t get me wrong, RIMM will still sell plenty of “stuff” (see Nokia), but from a industry changing perspective, RIMM is powerless.

Sammy, have to ask but where were those pics of the Apple and MSFT stores on your blog taken?

• Posted: 30 December 2010 01:40 AM #3

ChasMac77 - 30 December 2010 05:00 AM

Sammy, have to ask but where were those pics of the Apple and MSFT stores on your blog taken?

Short Answer: Don’t know

Long Answer:  Typically, I write on any Apple/Facebook topic that I feel pretty strongly about.  However, I usually decide to hold off on publishing because I don’t think its worthy of a post. On average, I have been publishing only about 10% of written posts. ( I am really interested in Ping and its potential - hence its already gotten 2 posts). Funny how it seems everyone hates or doesn’t get Ping.

After spending way too much time in malls and the surrounding retail stores over the past few weeks, my observations were pretty stunning (to me at least):

1) The crowds in the Apple stores were absurd - almost to the point of being a bad thing. I literally could not move in one store (yes, this one store was on the small side but still).  Apple even had to start these express checkout lines (which I dont like and I think need to be revamped or dismantled) to try to combat the crowds.  The Apple stores were definitely more crowded than last year.
    2) I really wanted to try out some non-iOS phones (where try out meant playing for a few minutes). The Verizon stores that I went in had on average less than 10 people and it felt like death was floating around there. Hard to explain. Same thing for the t-mobile and Sprint stores that I went in.

I put all of these thoughts in a post, but then I thought to myself, words just don’t do this topic justice and at the end of the day, who doesn’t already know that Apple stores are crowded, so I relied on twitter and such for some “pictorial representations”.  So I call that post a “symbolic representation”  of my observations and thoughts.  The post was also somewhat of my response to all of this apple hate floating around the internets this week.

Signature

aka Sammy the Walrus IV
    AAPL Orchard

Twitter

• Posted: 30 December 2010 06:41 AM #4

Steveafb - 29 December 2010 08:29 AM

We’ve been hearing the co-CEOs talking about how their playbook is so much better than the iPad (first gen), but they are still talking about a vaporware so when the iPad 2 releases what the hell are they going to do? Are they that delusional and think it only takes less than a year to develop a tablet that is better than the iPad? Never mind the iPad 2. I don’t know what these co-CEOs are thinking but they were toasted since they announced the failure of the storm, and storm 2 phones to copy the iPhone AFTER 4 YEARS they cannot produce a replicate to compete with the touch screen iPhone.

Disclosure: Bought puts and shorted RIMM since it was at 62ish

Please excuse my grammar, I typed this up fast in about 30 seconds.

Even though they refuted the battery life claims with an official response, I still think getting the playbook out in Q1 is a stretch. Once they missed the holidays, why stretch the quality of a brand new platform to meet a Q1 date and receive a ‘not fully baked’ response?

Posted: 30 December 2010 12:11 PM #5

DisplaySearch
    Has an article on the Slate PC forecasts

At the same time, having an OS and an app developer community is not a guarantee for success. Many of the brands looking to compete in the slate market are strictly hardware companies. They do not usually manage, promote, qualify, and support developers. Those competencies take time to properly mature, but would-be iPad rivals have to learn fast or risk Apple running further away with the market. We should not forget that Apple is leveraging the success it built up with iPhone developers for the iPad.

For the next year or two, we expect there to be a lot of false starts, failed attempts, and disasters in the slate market. If you are trying to figure out who has the most likely chance of survival (and the for first couple of years, it will just be a matter of survival in the slate market), look for players that have a long-term plan for their products, who recognize that a successful product requires significant investment in an OS and an ecosystem to support the OS, and who understand that standard business operations will not help them to create a winner.

• Posted: 31 December 2010 08:13 AM #6

Looks like Bellevue to me.  I will say this about the MSFT store here:  The crowds held up quite well.  I think sales per square foot won’t come close to Apple’s, even IF MSFT didn’t have 2.5 times the amount of floor space.  The picture here of MSFT looks like an opening at 9:30am, as I haven’t seen the ghost town one might conclude from the sample above.

The proof will be mid-January.  Too, bear in mind that for every 10 Mac users, there are 90 PC users, so should it be so surprising there are people—if not actual customers of product—inside the MSFT store?

• Posted: 31 December 2010 11:48 AM #7

Mercel - 31 December 2010 12:13 PM

Looks like Bellevue to me.  I will say this about the MSFT store here:  The crowds held up quite well.  I think sales per square foot won’t come close to Apple’s, even IF MSFT didn’t have 2.5 times the amount of floor space.  The picture here of MSFT looks like an opening at 9:30am, as I haven’t seen the ghost town one might conclude from the sample above.

The proof will be mid-January.  Too, bear in mind that for every 10 Mac users, there are 90 PC users, so should it be so surprising there are people—if not actual customers of product—inside the MSFT store?

there were also a decent amount of people in Barnes and Nobles and Borders stores too though.  In these hard to explain situations, I like the quote:  “Reports of our imminent implosion have been greatly exaggerated”.

and no one comes close to Apple’s sales per square foot.  No one.  I’ll go out on a limb and say Apple has the highest sales per square foot of any retailer out there (including everyone… jewelers…car dealers…high volume swap meats…anything and anyone).

[ Edited: 31 December 2010 11:52 AM by iOrlando ]

Signature

aka Sammy the Walrus IV
    AAPL Orchard

Twitter

• Posted: 31 December 2010 12:25 PM #8

iOrlando - 31 December 2010 03:48 PM

and no one comes close to Apple’s sales per square foot.  No one.  I’ll go out on a limb and say Apple has the highest sales per square foot of any retailer out there (including everyone… jewelers…car dealers…high volume swap meats…anything and anyone).

I don’t think you’re going out on a limb at all.  At least in Bellevue, Apple produces the highest sales per square foot in an upscale mall.  Too, it is Microsoft’s backyard, making it all the more impressive.

Posted: 01 January 2011 11:19 AM #9

Caris has their forecast for Tablet PC in 2011 via Electronista

A new analyst note from Caris & Co. analyst Robert Cihra has forecast that Apple will hold on to its majority market share of tablets in 2011. He expected the iPad to keep 67 percent of the market owing both to the rapid early adoption but also to lag time for rivals, who were sent “back to the drawing board.” Like with an iSuppli estimate, Cihra saw the delay giving Apple a head start, even as the tablet market tripled in size to 54 million next year, 36 million of which would be iPads.

Posted: 01 January 2011 02:57 PM #10

Can’t speak for MSFT stores, but we have 3 verizon phones in family and every time I’m in the store there’s a crowd and a wait.
    Apple stores are crowded too.grin

iOrlando - 30 December 2010 05:40 AM

Short Answer: Don’t know

Long Answer:  Typically, I write on any Apple/Facebook topic that I feel pretty strongly about.  However, I usually decide to hold off on publishing because I don’t think its worthy of a post. On average, I have been publishing only about 10% of written posts. ( I am really interested in Ping and its potential - hence its already gotten 2 posts). Funny how it seems everyone hates or doesn’t get Ping.

After spending way too much time in malls and the surrounding retail stores over the past few weeks, my observations were pretty stunning (to me at least):

1) The crowds in the Apple stores were absurd - almost to the point of being a bad thing. I literally could not move in one store (yes, this one store was on the small side but still).  Apple even had to start these express checkout lines (which I dont like and I think need to be revamped or dismantled) to try to combat the crowds.  The Apple stores were definitely more crowded than last year.
    2) I really wanted to try out some non-iOS phones (where try out meant playing for a few minutes). The Verizon stores that I went in had on average less than 10 people and it felt like death was floating around there. Hard to explain. Same thing for the t-mobile and Sprint stores that I went in.

I put all of these thoughts in a post, but then I thought to myself, words just don’t do this topic justice and at the end of the day, who doesn’t already know that Apple stores are crowded, so I relied on twitter and such for some “pictorial representations”.  So I call that post a “symbolic representation”  of my observations and thoughts.  The post was also somewhat of my response to all of this apple hate floating around the internets this week.

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.