What’s new in 2011?

• Posted: 29 December 2010 05:00 AM

I’ve been thinking lately about what unexpected yowsers we might hear in the coming month. Between the CC (interestingly now on the 18th, it seems SJ doesn’t like weekly options!) and any event that might happen (if there isn’t one, this would be the first time I can recall that Apple didn’t announce anything in January) there is certainly a lot of opportunity for eye-opening numbers and/or product announcements.

Many of course feel we might for the first time hear the words iPhone and Verizon uttered in the same sentence. But what else is there that has not been widely speculated upon? I for one would love to hear Apple announce: “For the first time, 55% of our computers sold were to customers new to Mac.” To me, an increase from the typical 50/50 split would mark a huge paradigm shift, indicating that iPad sales are compounding the halo effect and that future Mac sales could go parabolic, particularly in non-US markets.

What else can you think of that would excite you? I’m obviously not looking for outrageous sales hopes like, “We sold fifteen trillion iPads last quarter!” ? let’s keep it real, please.

Happy New Year everyone, and here’s to a very successful 2011.

MacGuffin

Posted: 29 December 2010 05:30 AM #1

The most obvious things are:

1. Interesting events within the Mac App Store
    2. Continued explosive interest in iPads
    3. OS 10.7   (aside from the Mac App Store, OS upgrades tend to be underthehood and therefore for developers)
    4. iOS 5 ?  probably, released when Apple is good and ready.  The hardware doesn’t require iOS 5 to be a good thing.
    5. Apple will concentrate retail expansion in Europe and Asia.  It seems likely that existing US locations will be limited.

Posted: 29 December 2010 11:07 AM #2

the biggest “what about” for 2011 is this….

THIS IS THE POTENTIAL UPSIDE GAMECHANGER - WATCH

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 29 December 2010 11:12 AM #3

A solid white roof and 12 foot high walls, do you think this is SJ’s new house? rolleyes  LOL

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 29 December 2010 11:28 AM #4

mbeauch - 29 December 2010 03:12 PM

A solid white roof and 12 foot high walls, do you think this is SJ’s new house? rolleyes  LOL

Cracked me up.  I can just see Sj sitting down on the expansive front porch singin…,“just a good ole boy”.  smile

I’ll agree with Tan re: the data centers if it includes the expansion and fruition of ATV.  (not the 4wheel kind that Steve would be driving around on his new estate)

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 29 December 2010 11:41 AM #5

I’m hoping for a 30” iMac.  My 24” is getting old now (but still runs great) and my friend outdid me when he bought his 27” iMac, so I need to one-up him!!

• Posted: 29 December 2010 12:46 PM #6

1) Light Peak for the Mac

2) Dual (multi) core iPad

3) Apple buys Drop Box and swaps out iDisk (stole this one from Bryan Chaffin and Jeff Gamet, but I like it)

4) Substantial Asian market expansion

5) Simpler iTunes music synchronisation between devices

6) Third party apps (games, communication) for Apple TV with iOS device interfacing

7) Steve Ballmer and Eric Schmidt staying where they are

Signature

wab95

• Posted: 29 December 2010 02:25 PM #7

Here are my thoughts for 2011:

~ new iPad (duh!) - March’ish
    ~ iPhone 4G (Verizon and 1.2Ghz A5 chip) - announced in May, available in late June/early July
    ~ iOS 5 (with support for AirPlay in the OS for developers) - May’ish
    ~ Continued additions to Safari/WebKit during the year
    ~ June/July Developers Conference will launch OS 10.7 in Beta, release XCode 4.0, release new designer tools for HTML5
    ~ Continued expansion of iAd during the year
    ~ Apple TV takes center stage at annual September music/media event (Classic iPod is discontinued)
    ~ Apple announces purchased of Netflix
    ~ OS 10.7 will be released in early November

I think the central theme for 2011 will be to evolve and build on existing brands. There will not be a new product. If you look at Apple’s history, they release a new product and then wait 18-24 months before the next revolutionary product is released.

2012 will be the year Apple reinvents the Television.

Signature

Matt David

• Posted: 29 December 2010 05:16 PM #8

Matthew to be honest I’m sure most AFBers would disagree with the purchase of netflix, to me it is a utter and dumb idea. NFLX is overvalued right now, I have shorted that stock when it was above 200. “Verizon iPhone” is too overhyped, remember verizon only has 90M subscribers, nothing conpared to China’s telecomms. The growth in China is what will drive this stock past 500 in 2012-2013 assuming no split. International markets will be more important than than the USA in future years. I doubt there will be a verizon iphone in 2011. Mark my words.

Posted: 29 December 2010 05:43 PM #9

These are some really good posts here!

My biggest question mark for 2011 is how Apple handles the Verizon phone deal, if there is one. A cdma phone in the Spring, an LTE mid/late year, or nothing at all. IMO, a non-annoncement would be quite damaging to aapl.  Anyway, I’m leaning toward a cdma release in the Spring but have tempered my expectations a lot and now don’t know what to think. The rollout of the data center will also be quite interesting. I doubt this will be a big money maker initially but should have a nice long term impact.

No NEW product lines in 2011 and NO major purchases expected. I would be VERRRRRRRY pissed to see Apple purchase some overpriced company like Netflix. Apple management is way too smart for such a move but you never know. ???? 

From a customer perspective I’m really looking forward to a new FCS release in the Spring. Will have negligible $ impact but will make me happy as a customer.

cheers to the longs
        JohnG

• Posted: 29 December 2010 08:23 PM #10

johnG - 29 December 2010 09:43 PM

My biggest question mark for 2011 is how Apple handles the Verizon phone deal, if there is one. ... IMO, a non-annoncement would be quite damaging to aapl.

I’m not so sure. The initial rumors said that a Verizon iPhone would be announced in January. Recently I’ve seen a lot of rumors that said “February”, “first part of 2011”, “first half of 2011,” and “2011”

If the Verizon iPhone weren’t announced in January, many would still wait until February. If the Verizon iPhone weren’t announced in February, the attention of Apple watchers everywhere would turn to the next iteration of the iPad in March. If the Verizon iPhone weren’t announced by April then I think most would assume that it would be announced as part of the upcoming iPhone 5. In other words, I’m not sure if there is any date when Verizon iPhone expectations would be dashed. Like the Energizer Bunny, they keep going and going and going.

Now if Apple announced that they WERE NOT going to make a Verizon iPhone, that would be a whole different story.

Posted: 29 December 2010 08:33 PM #11

FalKirk - 30 December 2010 12:23 AM

snip…............

Now if Apple announced that they WERE NOT going to make a Verizon iPhone, that would be a whole different story.

That’s what I’m concerned about….........................  there seems to be a growing body of posts indicating the V iphone isn’t going to happen. :-(

cheers to the longs
              JohnG

• Posted: 29 December 2010 10:11 PM #12

johnG - 30 December 2010 12:33 AM
    FalKirk - 30 December 2010 12:23 AM

snip…............

That’s what I’m concerned about….........................  there seems to be a growing body of posts indicating the V iphone isn’t going to happen. :-(

cheers to the longs
              JohnG

Well, normally one wouldn’t expect Apple to announce that it was NOT going to do something. But I was certainly surprised when Steve Jobs, in essence, announced that 7 inch tablets were D.O.A., so I’m not ruling anything out.

• Posted: 30 December 2010 12:40 AM #13

well from what I am reading on the internets lately, Apple is doomed in 2011 due to Android and Windows Phone 7, so not sure if any more iPhones or iPads will be sold.

Signature

aka Sammy the Walrus IV
    AAPL Orchard

Twitter

• Posted: 30 December 2010 01:44 AM #14

Unique - 30 December 2010 04:45 AM
    iOrlando - 30 December 2010 04:40 AM

well from what I am reading on the internets lately, Apple is doomed in 2011 due to Android and Windows Phone 7, so not sure if any more iPhones or iPads will be sold.

Haha you need a /sarcasm sign in the end of the sentence, some people might not get you :D

so I should also not mention that webOS is the best mobile OS to ever exist?

Signature

aka Sammy the Walrus IV
    AAPL Orchard

Twitter

• Posted: 30 December 2010 04:47 AM #15

New products?

Commence wild speculation!

Apple tv : current apple tv functions built into a 42” & 50” led screen with 3d. Starting at $999 for a non 3d version, increasing to $1499 for 3d 42” and $1999 for 55” 3d.

Apple search engine: not just a google clone but a new take on search engines that looks and sounds like nothing else.

Exclusive original iTunes content: apple funds or aquires rights to first broadcast of first run tv shows, and sells them globally, bypassing networks and their foreign territory sales shenanigans by dealing directly with professional content creators (lucas’s new live action star wars tv series would be target number 1)

Facebook: I know the prospect of apple buying facebook has been debated to death, but I still think this would be a great strategic purchase fior apple. Not just for the advertising potential, but also for the amount of iTunes sales it would drive. Also imagine if facebook app was only available on iOS devices - would be a huge draw for facebooks 500 million users

iPod touch 3G: adding a data radio as an option to the iPod touch line ( an extra $100), for those who can’t or are unwillingly to sign up for a $1000 a year contract for an iPhone. Selling the iPod unsubsidized enables PAYG data only options for young people or those on a budget, or even free device on cheap data only plan.

And the obvious:

Touch screen iMac - steve said touch screens in a vertical position were crap, but this does not at all exclude a iMac with an adjustable tilt-able touchscreen that goes from vertical position for normal use, to horizontal position for touchscreen iOS style apps (ipad apps through an emulator?)

Apps come to the appleTV. Self explanatory.

Verizon iPhone. Of course.

Beefed up cloud service. Streaming synced media and apps etc to all device.

Cool new features in iOS 5 & iPhone 5: integration of siri software, liquid metal technology, LTE,

I don’t think apple would ever consider buying Netflix - company is way overvalued and it’s movie supply contracts would/will all be drastically raised as soon as the current contracts expire.