What’s new in 2011?

• Posted: 30 December 2010 06:11 AM #16

Apple is sitting on an obscene amount of cash, either to feed SJ’s paranoia or because he has something in mind.  My guess is, the latter.  I still think deep in the bowels somewhere at Infiniti Loop there is a team working on battery technology, or an automobile, or something totally off the chart.

• Posted: 31 December 2010 09:12 AM #17

I think there will be “big new” and “regular old Apple really good new”.
    In the “big new” category, I place the server farm. I doubt it is just an updating of what Apple already has. I am really, really hoping it is a major update of mobile me, with an online version of iweb that makes high quality web building easy, along with Apple’s version of Dropbox (why buy the company when they can just duplicate it)? I am also really, really hoping the Mac App store displays a new Apple philosophy regarding suites…it no longer bundles them so I can buy Final Cut Pro, and Soundtrack Pro, individually, for a really low price.

In the “regular Apple new”, there will be new iMacs with new Intel chips that process video three times faster than before.
    There will be new versions of Aperture that will include video processing to challenge imovie.

So one buys a new iMac or Macbook Pro, gets a free mobileme account, gets an Apple version of Facebook (again, why buy the company), gets to choose either a lower cost AMD iMac or super fast Intel iMac…
    Oh, and Apple finally bites the bullet and financially aligns with Comcast for content, and one can buy that iMac and ditch the tv, as one cable brings it all to the 27” LED screen.

I am still on the fence as (my daydream) to the new (in 2011) Apple version of YouTube. It just works, but takes up so much of my time I fear I will never leave my computer…
    Hugh

Posted: 31 December 2010 11:30 AM #18

Welcome to the Forums, Hugh.

I’ve been out of the MobileMe / Mac.com scene for quite a while.  MobileMe is certainly a foul taste for me:  unreliable, slow and costly.  Steve J, are you reading me ?    I mean really. 

The app stores are going to shift things to a new pro level of software and revenues.

The server farm ?  call me a fence sitter.

Posted: 31 December 2010 01:19 PM #19

I think a lot of what is on tap for 2011 has to do with widespread implementation of LTE networks and the attendant cloud services, which will enable decent moblie streaming.

It will be interesting to see how T moves into 4G service and how Apple will transition to multiple carriers in the US - the sooner the better on both counts.

• Posted: 31 December 2010 02:23 PM #20

I want to see an IPTV offering. Maybe an enhanced version of apple tv or something new altogether. They can use some of their cash to get content rights.

Signature

@chasedodge

• Posted: 01 January 2011 06:27 PM #21

I predict that when Apple reports earnings on the 18th of January, they will report massive numbers coming out of the Mac App Store which opened only 12 days earlier on the 6th of January.

For a long, long time, I’ve been thinking about whether the Microsoft Monopoly might be realistically coming to an end. If iOS has forced Microsoft to stick all of its fingers and all of its toes in the dam in order to hold back the Apple tide, then the Mac App Store may finally be the first very real crack in that dam.

iOS may well have been the beginning of the end of the Microsoft OS monopoly. But the Mac App Store may well be signaling the end of the beginning and the beginning of a massive OS X assault on the the previously impregnable bastion of Windows supremacy.

• Posted: 01 January 2011 09:30 PM #22

Some further predictions:

1) Apps for Apple TV, but not implemented in quite the way we expect.

2) AirPlay between all Apple devices, both iOS and OS X.

3) Maps. Apple moves into geolocation in a big way.

4) Voice commands. Apple implements a form of artificial intelligence for use with all iOS devices.

5) I have no clue what Apple is going to do with that data center, but I can’t wait to find out. I suspect a major tune up of iTunes and some form of subscription music service.

6) A continuous rolling out of a new line of portable Macs all based upon the template demonstrated in the MacBook Air

7) FaceTime goes 3G

8) A new magazine/newspaper format or template builder

9) A complete surprise. Something totally unexpected like last year’s retina display or FaceTime or the MacBook Air. Who knows?

[ Edited: 01 January 2011 11:09 PM by FalKirk ]      
  • Posted: 01 January 2011 10:12 PM #23

FalKirk - 02 January 2011 01:30 AM

6) A continuous rolling out of a new line of portable Macs all based upon the template demonstrated in the MacBook Air

You can take it to the bank:  I’m looking forward to this upgrade.  A lightweight, slimline, no optical drive, 17” MacBook Pro will be truly great :drool:

Posted: 01 January 2011 11:31 PM #24

2011 is the year of the Rabbit.  It will be non eventful in the MacWorld, other then record sales of everything they make.

Apple has its hands full with amazing projects.  Yes we will get some cloud computing, iPad 2 and a nice upgrade from iPhone 4.  But I don’t expect much in the way of huge news and products.  They will add another 50 or so stores.

Apple will upgrade everything product category and the Mac App Store will be in the infant stages with Lion getting same last minute positive press.

I think Apple will need another 16 months to perfect their A4 chips.  So I think 2012 will be the killer year.  Verizon iPhone 4G on the LTE network and other US carriers, A5 chips in their brand new touch screen iMacs, and Apple TV becoming main stream with new killer features.

Posted: 02 January 2011 12:19 PM #25

omacvi - 02 January 2011 03:31 AM

2011 is the year of the Rabbit.  It will be non eventful in the MacWorld, other then record sales of everything they make.

Apple has its hands full with amazing projects.  Yes we will get some cloud computing, iPad 2 and a nice upgrade from iPhone 4.  But I don’t expect much in the way of huge news and products.  They will add another 50 or so stores.

Apple will upgrade everything product category and the Mac App Store will be in the infant stages with Lion getting same last minute positive press.

I think Apple will need another 16 months to perfect their A4 chips.  So I think 2012 will be the killer year.  Verizon iPhone 4G on the LTE network and other US carriers, A5 chips in their brand new touch screen iMacs, and Apple TV becoming main stream with new killer features.

Sponge not to kill you New Years buzz, but there is about zero chance of Apple releasing an IMac based on an ultra mobile SOC in 2011.  We are a couple generations away from that possibility due to performance.  The first device to see something like that will be the Macbook Air where you could take the performance hit increase the battery life and reduce the component cost.  I would think the 2012/13 timeframe more realistic and wouldn’t be surprised to find that Apple has a version of Lion compatible with the ARM processor.  As far as processor cycles, Apple needs to compete against the other major
    SOC manufactures or their products will fall behind and all the ARM vendors are delivering processors based on the Cortex A9 multIcore at 45NM process.  The Intrinsity purchase leads me to believe that Apple didn’t want to share the souped up A9 with any of the other vendors like Samsung or TI.  My current best guess is 2011 Cortex A9 at 45 NM, 2012 Cortex A9 at 32 NM, 2013, Cortex A15 at 32 NM.

• Posted: 02 January 2011 01:01 PM #26

It’s been a long time since the iMac form factor has been revised so I’m hoping for something drool worthy that reflects the thinning of screens and continued miniaturization of components.  With the continuing migration of the windows (less than) faithful, having something lustful in this category continues to be important.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 02 January 2011 03:51 PM #27

FalKirk - 01 January 2011 10:27 PM

I predict that when Apple reports earnings on the 18th of January, they will report massive numbers coming out of the Mac App Store which opened only 12 days earlier on the 6th of January.

Ah, that’s a good call, Falkirk. I hadn’t thought about that, very interesting. We will certainly get a freeroll here, because if the numbers are impressive Apple will of course announce and if adoption of the new model takes longer than expected they can definitely stay mum on it without raising any eyebrows at all.

I do of course feel the Mac App Store will be successful, however I’m not quite sure it will be such the tidal wave that you are expecting initially. After all, practically everything it will be offering is already out there for purchase today, so it’s not a direct parallel to when the iPhone App Store opened, which was of course the first day ever that you could get your hands on any of the software (in non-Safari form) and expand your hardware’s capability. I doubt that people have been holding off on their Mac software purchases for the past few months just so that they could buy them from Apple instead of the developer.

Also, using the Mac App Store will require an OS update. I don’t feel that a huge chunk of users will do this the moment it is available, especially since the App Store will (presumably) be the only new material feature of this update. I for one avoid tinkering with my OS unless absolutely necessary, and being able to buy an app direct from Apple wouldn’t fit that bill for me personally. (Though of course once I do eventually update my OS I would purchase all my Apps through Apple.) This is why I feel the Mac Store might not be the overnight success we saw with the iPhone Store… But believe me, I’d much prefer that you be right about it!

MacGuffin

Posted: 02 January 2011 06:00 PM #28

Time for some REAL changes!

One - LIQUID METAL ... all around!

Two - Lightpeak standard on everything.

Three - Merger with TiVo and get AppleTV into the hot zone.

Four - A “Cloud Version” of TimeCapsule with unlimited storage for a small fee.

Five - Facial recognition software as a SecurityLock feature.

Six - Integrated voice transcription for “Voice to Text”.

Seven - Go for GAMING DOMINANCE in all products, especially via the AppleTV interface with an iPodTouch or iPad as the controller.

Eight - Most importantly of all, a SPLIT of 5-to-1 to shake up the stock valuation emotionally and let smaller “punters” in on the game.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 02 January 2011 07:30 PM #29

Apple will offer only one new product this year, and it’s not even a new product. It’s called iWork, and at last it actually works. It’s the equal of Office and everyone is happy with it, so there’s no more reason to cling to Windows PCs.

• Posted: 02 January 2011 09:29 PM #30

iBob - 02 January 2011 11:30 PM

Apple will offer only one new product this year, and it’s not even a new product. It’s called iWork, and at last it actually works. It’s the equal of Office and everyone is happy with it, so there’s no more reason to cling to Windows PCs.

I agree. I agree, that is, if we’re on the same page.

I take your post to mean that, in conjunction with the new Mac App Store, Apple will be releasing new versions of the various parts of iWork and that these new versions will be serious improvements to their current iterations. Is that what you meant?