Poll: Will You Buy a Verizon iPhone?
Total Votes: 54
Yes, and I’m switching from AT&T
Yes, and this will be my first iPhone
Yes, but not until my AT&T contract runs out
No, I’m happy with my current iPhone
No, and the iPhone isn’t my thing

Posted: 12 January 2011 11:35 AM

Verizon will start selling a CDMA version of Apple’s iPhone at the beginning of February. Are you planning on buying one?

Posted: 12 January 2011 12:07 PM #1

Might have but I’m in Canada.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 12 January 2011 12:25 PM #2

I voted no and that I am happy with my iPhone AT&T. However, switching service is not out of the question after the Verizon LTE network is fully up and running. The overall cost of plans would be the factor, but I am sure that they will be competitive.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 12 January 2011 12:27 PM #3

I left ATT before getting an iPhone as the coverage in my home area was very poor.  Went to Verizon and have had no problems with coverage at all.  Want to see what the Data plans will cost as I am in WiFi areas most of the time.  I have been waiting for the iPhone to come to Verizon - hoping the Data plan will not be too costly depending on how many of my family will want to upgrade.

Signature

KnightATC

• Posted: 12 January 2011 01:24 PM #4

No, I’ll stick with AT&T for now.  I was an indifferent Verizon customer before switching to AT&T to get the iPhone (like a billion other people.)  I think the passion re AT&T comes in the big cities, where the bandwidth on the AT&T network is very heavily strained. In my area (central NJ) AT&T has great coverage and capacity. I am a happier customer now than I was with Verizon. Perhaps this is entirely due to the iPhone?  I don’t know.

What I really want is to be able to tether my WIFI only iPad to my iPhone. Now that would be sweet.  Maybe competition might loosen this up a bit, but this restriction might be all Apple…

Posted: 12 January 2011 02:16 PM #5

JoiseyPaul - 12 January 2011 05:24 PM

I think the passion re AT&T comes in the big cities, where the bandwidth on the AT&T network is very heavily strained. In my area (central NJ) AT&T has great coverage and capacity.

That’s it, the squeaky wheel gets the pundit’s attention. Maybe NYC should switch their snow removal to Verizon.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 12 January 2011 04:31 PM #6

JoiseyPaul - 12 January 2011 05:24 PM

“I think the passion re AT&T comes in the big cities, where the bandwidth on the AT&T network is very heavily strained.”

I wonder how long it will take Sir Harry’s “squeaky wheels” in the big cities, who now will be using Verizon iPhones, to discover that the equally heavily strained 3G Verizon iPhone bandwidth is no greener there on that side of the fence - & maybe even markedly less good than AT&T’s has been there. 

I also wonder how long it will take switchers to Verizon iPhones to discover that they really miss phoning while internetting.  I think I would.

We have cancelled our phone landline & package contracts at least 3 (and probably actually 4) times over the years, because of the same problem with Verizon (which I have come to believe is actually a Verizon policy):  worse than terrible customer service.

[ Edited: 12 January 2011 04:40 PM by BurmaYank ]

Signature

Dave J.

- my most favorite Chinese Cookie fortune:  “Stiff in opinion; always in the wrong.”

- my second most favorite Chinese Cookie fortune:  “There is something seeing and there is something being seen.”

Posted: 12 January 2011 04:49 PM #7

BurmaYank - 12 January 2011 08:31 PM

I wonder how long it will take Sir Harry’s “squeaky wheels” in the big cities, who now will be using Verizon iPhones, to discover that the equally heavily strained 3G Verizon iPhone bandwidth is no greener there on that side of the fence - & maybe even markedly less good than AT&T’s has been there. 

I also wonder how long it will take switchers to Verizon iPhones to discover that they really miss phoning while internetting.  I think I would.

Probably about the second week in February the Verizon iPhone users will realize that they are not getting concurrent voice and data service. I don’t see too many pundits and reviewers talking about that situation. Last night Jon Stewart was ripping on the iPhone and AT&T, you would think that all of the millions of us iPhone users have never completed a phone call.

Hopefully Verizon has beefed up their system in the high mountains and deep valleys that are cities such as New York.

[ Edited: 12 January 2011 04:58 PM by Lee Dronick ]

Signature

• Posted: 12 January 2011 07:44 PM #8

I don’t have much choice as it stands now. My community has very poor coverage from ATT (probably pretty good right under a tower!!). My office, according to their signal maps, is right smack in the middle of one of their “strongest signal” zones (1 or 2 bars, that’s it), yet I can depend on dropping most calls from my office. It’s no better outside within 3 or 4 blocks of here (only 1 or 2 story buildings). I’ve gone to our local ATT twice to inform them of my situation (complain is a good word to use). Of course, they don’t have a good rationale as to why I have this problem. The last visit a week or two ago before they could tell me it’s my phone I informed them that in Oct I was in downtown Seattle for 4 days. Always had 3 to 5 bars and call clarity like I have never experienced with my local ATT. My contract is up Feb 9, fancy that!

Signature

Posted: 12 January 2011 07:52 PM #9

@chicochaz

In what city is your office?

Signature

• Posted: 12 January 2011 07:58 PM #10

Sir Harry Flashman - 12 January 2011 11:52 PM

@chicochaz

In what city is your office?

As noted in my handle, Chico…..Chico, CA is in northern end of the state.

Signature

Posted: 12 January 2011 09:32 PM #11

Thanks Charlie. I know Chico, my wife has family up that way, Sacramento too.

Signature

Posted: 12 January 2011 11:52 PM #12

I don’t plan to switch. I hope AT&T improves and will become a better value and I wish Verizon the same.

The entry of Verizon to the iPhone vendor community is important because it will let many Verizon customers into the community, and more importantly, it signals the broadening of the iPhone / iPad market base. Hopefully competition for customers and eventually better value for us users.
      —Gandolf

• Posted: 13 January 2011 12:55 AM #13

Sir Harry Flashman - 13 January 2011 01:32 AM

Thanks Charlie. I know Chico, my wife has family up that way, Sacramento too.

But, Sir Harry, do you know Chico and ATT well enough to tell me why they do such a lousy job around here? The first time I went in and complained they actually had the nerve to try and sell me their Micro Cell as a solution. My response was, “You want to sell me a solution to the problem you’ve caused?” They should have given it to me. The poor girl rather sneered at me, but oh well.

Signature

Posted: 13 January 2011 09:23 AM #14

chicochaz - 13 January 2011 04:55 AM

But, Sir Harry, do you know Chico and ATT well enough to tell me why they do such a lousy job around here?

I don’t know why they do the things that they do, or don’t do. Maybe calling their 800 number would result in a free microcell until they get act together. While the cell/data service here in San Diego is pretty good, I am not so impressed with the staff in the AT&T Stores.  However, when I call the customer support 800 number, I have always been helped in a courteous and professional manner.

When driving through the San Joaquin/Sacramento Valley I have good service along I-5, Hwy 99, and other major roads. Not necessarily so when away from the bigger towns and roads.

Signature

Posted: 15 January 2011 12:56 AM #15

I’m seriously considering it. I have a 3GS now. My contract doesn’t expire till Sept., although I currently have a $95 ETF if I choose to high-tail it out now. I’m due for an iPhone 4 upgrade in May. Since Verizon’s version of the iPhone doesn’t support voice and data at the same time, and the fact that the iPhone will be running on their 3G network and not on their LTE network, why buy now; I’ll be patient and wait till the summer to see how all of this unfolds to my advantage.