(F) Ford

Posted: 13 January 2011 04:18 PM #16

Mav - 13 January 2011 02:08 AM

Don’t get me wrong, Ford’s new stuff has great promise.  EcoBoost is awesome and more automakers should join the direct-injection plus maybe turbo party. 

I did drive a lemon Fusion, no doubt, but those first impressions matter.  Also, Fusion is a 2004 car as is the Escape, give or take a year.  The Focus dates back to around 2000 or so.  Bring on redesigns such as the Explorer (looks awesome), and new product like the Flex and the Fiesta.  I may end up buying F/options at some point if Ford continues to improve.

FWIW, the Fusion is built on the Mazda 6 chassis.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 13 January 2011 05:40 PM #17

Eric, have you and your mother considered the BMW X5. Easily meets all of her requirements.

:apple:

Posted: 13 January 2011 05:51 PM #18

MacCube - 13 January 2011 09:40 PM

Eric, have you and your mother considered the BMW X5. Easily meets all of her requirements.

You couldn’t pay us to own a bimmer.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

• Posted: 13 January 2011 08:54 PM #19

Eric Landstrom - 13 January 2011 09:51 PM
    MacCube - 13 January 2011 09:40 PM

You couldn’t pay us to own a bimmer.

I would drive ANY car if someone paid me to drive it.  :-D

For me, BMWs are the “ultimate” for all-around performance on wheels.  I cannot bring myself to sell my E46 M3 (I’d rather have just one vehicle).  I like the SL55 (I think that’s what you have), and I expect I’ll be tempted by the next iteration of this model when they lighten the car up and improve the MPG a little.  MB are great luxo-cruisers.

• Posted: 13 January 2011 09:03 PM #20

incorrigible - 13 January 2011 02:07 PM
    Mercel - 13 January 2011 04:15 AM

The Mustang needs to ditch the live axle, an unwelcome retro feature.

I disagree.  I own a 2010 Mustang GT and Ford has done wonders with this ‘ancient” design.  Car and Driver (or was it Road and Track?) did a lap time comparison between the BMW M3 and the 2010 Mustang.  They ran almost identical lap times.  The live axle design may be old, but it has been refined to a high enough level to compete with the world’s best IRS cars.  Plus it’s cheaper and more robust than any IRS setup out there.  Just my $0.02.

You are right about Ford getting the most out of this design.  But don’t you think the Mustang could be even better with something more current?  I guess I’m just naturally opposed to modern vehicles w/live axles and pushrods.  It’s kind of like a fast-spinning floppy drive in your Mac.  I know, I need to get over it.  LOL

Posted: 13 January 2011 09:46 PM #21

FORD says:

Ford won?t offer merit pay increases to its salaried employees because they are on par with companies such as General Motors Co., Pfizer Inc. and Boeing Co., Marcey Evans, a company spokeswoman, said in an interview today. Ford restored raises to its 20,000 U.S. salaried employees last year and will pay bonuses this year, Evans said.

Didn’t know this:

Ford, the only major U.S. automaker to avoid bankruptcy, is slated to negotiate a new contract with the United Auto Workers union this year for its 41,000 U.S. hourly employees. The UAW filed a grievance against Ford last year when it reinstated salaried raises, accusing the automaker of violating a promise of ?equality of sacrifice? between hourly and white-collar workers.

This may set the stage and the tone for UAW negations later.

Posted: 13 January 2011 09:53 PM #22

bilter2000 - 13 January 2011 02:42 PM

I have spent some time rethinking why I am invested in Ford.
    What I have concluded is this, I missed out on investing in Apple when it was coming back from the brink of extinction.  If one looks at the recent history of Ford they are on the same path IMO.  There is a risk they wont make it (however slight it seems to me) but the risk / reward looks hauntingly familiar to the apple story…

Ford is a small part of my investment portfolio at this time but reading through posts of some of the veteran apple investors it appears to be how most began their apple investments which obviously has paid off in spades…

you can continually protect that ford stock you own too by buying protective puts on it.  so..  you further limit any possible unforeseen downturns.  You just have to pay the ‘insurance policy’

• Posted: 13 January 2011 10:14 PM #23

Mercel - 14 January 2011 12:54 AM
    Eric Landstrom - 13 January 2011 09:51 PM

I would drive ANY car if someone paid me to drive it.  :-D

My father (not a car guy) used to say that the best kind of car was a company car.  I had a chance to test the theory when I worked for a Michigan manufacturer as a company rep.  I had just taken delivery of an Oldsmobile Omega and was driving it north for a weekend of skiing.  The transmission started failing after a grand total of 150 miles so I nursed it home, returned it and headed off in our 77 Accord.  They couldn’t pay me enough to drive that piece of **** again. 
    Our 3 series wagon (na with a stick and the sports suspension) has been bulletproof and fun to drive as long as I ignore its rather numb steering.  The 3 series has been on every ones “best of” lists for as long as I can remember but I think it’s because the competition has been softening up their offerings per consumer desires.  I may still be longing wistfully for the first one I ever drove which was head and shoulders above anything I had driven prior to that.  It was a 2002tii.  :-D

Given a choice I’ll always reach for the Miata’s keys.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 13 January 2011 10:52 PM #24

Eric Landstrom - 13 January 2011 08:18 PM

Don’t get me wrong, Ford’s new stuff has great promise.  EcoBoost is awesome and more automakers should join the direct-injection plus maybe turbo party. 

I did drive a lemon Fusion, no doubt, but those first impressions matter.  Also, Fusion is a 2004 car as is the Escape, give or take a year.  The Focus dates back to around 2000 or so.  Bring on redesigns such as the Explorer (looks awesome), and new product like the Flex and the Fiesta.  I may end up buying F/options at some point if Ford continues to improve.

Aware.  Of course, Ford owned a large chunk of Mazda (still owns a lesser stake IIRC).  More importantly, that lemon transmission in the car I drove was Ford’s, I’m pretty certain.

Btw, the current-gen Mazda 6 is a very competent family sedan.

M-B vs. BMW…the war rages on.  smile

[ Edited: 13 January 2011 10:54 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 13 January 2011 10:59 PM #25

Mav - 14 January 2011 02:52 AM
    Eric Landstrom - 13 January 2011 08:18 PM

Aware.  Of course, Ford owned a large chunk of Mazda (still owns a lesser stake IIRC).  More importantly, that lemon transmission in the car I drove was Ford’s, I’m pretty certain.

Btw, the current-gen Mazda 6 is a very competent family sedan.

M-B vs. BMW…the war rages on.  smile

And a pretty competent racing platform.  :-D

The Mazda6 is currently raced in the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GTS class. Mazda finished first in the manufacturer’s championship standings.[2] Mazda6 drivers also finished first and second in the Touring Car driver points.[3]

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 13 January 2011 11:02 PM #26

Zoom-zoom.  smile

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 13 January 2011 11:39 PM #27

Drove the Limited edition Expedition. Major gaff: the environmental controls are accessed through a touch screen that doubles as the Navigation screen. None of which works while wearing gloves. In Minnesota. where it has snowed 33 out of the last 44 days. And where it was -10? F out last night. Other functions are accessed through a touch sensitive dash. That also doesn’t work while wearing gloves. In Minnesota. On a vehicle that doesn’t offer a heated steering wheel.

Ford: you’re doing it wrong.

Anyway, drove the purse carrier RX350. Nice fit and finish. Lumbar support switch is located in an almost we forgot about it position. Last version’s interior looked better to my eye because it was symmetrical. Lexus still won’t allow the driver to teach the memory unless the driver first stops the vehicle and puts it in park. Lexus, you’re doing it wrong.

Drove the Murano LE and thought it was better executed and then considered that Infinity likely has a nicer version so we chased down to local Infinity store to sniff around: sure enough: better executed and even more ugly. Sigh.

We never made it to the Acura store and the salesperson we normally work with at the Merc store was off.

Signature

Posted: 13 January 2011 11:50 PM #28

Audi Q5/Q7?

Volvo XC60?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 14 January 2011 01:14 AM #29

Eric Landstrom - 14 January 2011 03:39 AM

Drove the Murano LE and thought it was better executed and then considered that Infinity likely has a nicer version so we chased down to local Infinity store to sniff around: sure enough: better executed and even more ugly. Sigh.

We never made it to the Acura store and the salesperson we normally work with at the Merc store was off.

That would be Infiniti with an “i”  :wink:

Both Infiniti and Acura are weak on styling.  Especially Acura with its much-loathed beak nose.

Posted: 14 January 2011 01:21 AM #30

The only view I like in this thread is someone mention that F could be the stock that one can buy and forget for 10 years, just like AAPL.  Is that what you guys think?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs