new iphone “mini” being tested on apple campus?

• Posted: 13 January 2011 02:48 PM #16

rattyuk - 13 January 2011 06:24 PM
    FalKirk - 13 January 2011 05:25 PM

All and all, I am extremely pleased with these new gesture enhancements. I think they help to remove one more layer of abstraction and allow us to focus on what we want to accomplish on our iOS devices instead of thinking about how we are going to accomplish those things.

I’m not quite as convinced Fal, from my early, lightweight tests, the gestures seem a bit clumsy. I might get used to them but I’m not entirely certain.

Perhaps Apple has weened me off using all my fingers? Trying to use them all again might take some time.

Well, you’re right, all that matters is how it “feels”. If it feels natural, then it’s a good thing. If it feels clunky, then it’s a waste of time and resources. I would argue that the current implementation of multi-tasking is definitely “clunky”. I have high hopes that the new gestures are a far more intuitive substitute.

We’ll just have to wait and see if the beta version of the gestures becomes smoother with time and if the gestures feel natural once we’re able to use them all of the time.

Posted: 14 January 2011 01:33 AM #17

The iPhone 4 back is glass just because it looks amazing, I suspect.  It also allows the logo and lettering to be fade-proof since it’s below the glass surface. 

Technically speaking, it’s not just a glass panel backing.  There’s a metal “subframe” beneath which connects to the steel “ring” unibody frame, based on the iPhone 4 intro video. 

I’m not sure the general public is ready to do “no-look” gestures.  Too much risk of unintended inputs, at least at first.

Apple is probably exploring a multi-level touch interface.  But unless it’s cleanly defined and easy to figure out, I see no real problem keeping things as they are for now.  Single-screen multi-touch chording is still in its infancy.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.