Why Apple’s Best Days May Be Over

• Posted: 16 January 2011 01:35 AM #16

Mace - 15 January 2011 03:32 AM

Why Apple’s Best Days May Be Over by James B. Stewart.  He thinks GOOG is a better investment.  Sound like the missing Jeffi.

James B. Stewart - 13 January 2011 03:20 PM

The stock has been a mainstay of my portfolio since I recommended it during the depths of the financial crisis. Since then I’ve owned Apple ( AAPL: 348.48, +2.80, +0.80% ) shares and long-term options, including those I bought in 2009 with a strike price of just $50. I recommended Apple again last year on April 27, when shares were at $272. This week they hit $345. With Apple up nearly 80% since last February ? and more than 400% since its 2009 low ? it has single-handedly guaranteed that my portfolio has outperformed the major averages.

This guy is touting himself based on recognizing that AAPL was a good buy in 2008?  This is a sign of genius?  He missed the boat for 5 years and only decided to buy AAPL after it had doubled 5 times, and now he knows what he’s talking about?  What a moron.

[ Edited: 16 January 2011 01:48 AM by Zeke ]      

Posted: 16 January 2011 02:10 AM #17

Zeke - 16 January 2011 05:35 AM
    Mace - 15 January 2011 03:32 AM

Why Apple’s Best Days May Be Over by James B. Stewart.  He thinks GOOG is a better investment.  Sound like the missing Jeffi.

James B. Stewart - 13 January 2011 03:20 PM

The stock has been a mainstay of my portfolio since I recommended it during the depths of the financial crisis. Since then I’ve owned Apple ( AAPL: 348.48, +2.80, +0.80% ) shares and long-term options, including those I bought in 2009 with a strike price of just $50. I recommended Apple again last year on April 27, when shares were at $272. This week they hit $345. With Apple up nearly 80% since last February ? and more than 400% since its 2009 low ? it has single-handedly guaranteed that my portfolio has outperformed the major averages.

This guy is touting himself based on recognizing that AAPL was a good buy in 2008?  This is a sign of genius?  He missed the boat for 5 years and only decided to buy AAPL after it had doubled 5 times, and now he knows what he’s talking about?  What a moron.

Nice one Zeke! My sentiments exactly!

Signature

The only way to change the perception, is to change the reality.

Posted: 16 January 2011 03:01 PM #18

jeffi - 15 January 2011 12:05 PM

I knew you were baiting me for a response. Anyway, pardon granted. If we can’t be nice during good times then when?

I hope Google is not the better investment as I am not yet positioned accordingly.

Currently I am as positive regarding Apple’s growth as ever but I was more excited about Apple’s under valuation when the stock was last at $240 about 4+ months ago. We’ve ramped about 45% rather quickly and at some point we will again be range bound. That being said, Apple is far from overvalued at about 23X trailing earnings pre cash.

Google is preparing for the future. Many are uncomfortable that they are too slow in monetizing their endeavors. The concern is warranted as they have lost some discipline because of their management’s style.

Jeffi

HA. Jeffi, good response to Mace’s gauntlet. Actually, Mace, if you’ve someone to pick on, I still have a lingering GOOG April call, and even some common that I think of as cash in case I need to buy more AAPL. I tried to diversify away from AAPL, but Google the company is just too disappointing to be excited about GOOG the stock. So many strategic faux-pas.

Jeffi is right. They do have a great position to be one of the tech goliaths (alongside Apple) in the next couple of decades, but are strategically inferior IMO and have stellar engineering coupled with a terrible management, a bad combination for investors. I probably won’t re-invest after I get rid of the current (small) holdings.

As for the article you linked to, it’s a yawner. I already forgot what it said.