Consumer’s Reports trashes iPhone again

• Posted: 15 January 2011 12:32 AM

This time it is the Verizon iPhone that they hate.

Presumably these tactics are to get publicity for themselves.  Though, I suppose there are other explanations possible.  Maybe a grudge. 

Despite their much reduced stature, they retain influence.

Posted: 15 January 2011 12:51 AM #1

I wouldn’t worry too much.  I don’t think Apple wants the easily-swayed, can’t-think-for-themselves folks amongst their user base anyway.  The many, the proud, the fickle, the complainers.

CR, prepare for Repudiation 2:  It’s Still Not Working, coming to a theater near you on January 18, 2011.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 15 January 2011 03:53 PM #2

capablanca - 15 January 2011 04:32 AM

Presumably these tactics are to get publicity for themselves.  Though, I suppose there are other explanations possible.  Maybe a grudge. 

I think it’s both publicity and a grudge.  I quit Consumer Reports after 25 years of subscribing.  I don’t know what happened over there, but they’ve fallen very far, in my opinion.  Publishing is a very tough business, and by going after Apple CU is showing signs of desperation in its bid to reclaim relevance.  It’s the wrong way to do it.

Posted: 15 January 2011 04:37 PM #3

Mercel - 15 January 2011 07:53 PM
    capablanca - 15 January 2011 04:32 AM

I think it’s both publicity and a grudge.  I quit Consumer Reports after 25 years of subscribing.  I don’t know what happened over there, but they’ve fallen very far, in my opinion.  Publishing is a very tough business, and by going after Apple CU is showing signs of desperation in its bid to reclaim relevance.  It’s the wrong way to do it.

I subscribed for a few years earlier last decade, but it merely confirmed my feeling that they have an agenda of their own that is quite divorced from reality.  For product categories where I have some expertise, Consumer Reports always gets it wrong.

• Posted: 15 January 2011 05:17 PM #4

The deal about CR’s demise is that the number of discerning buyers has dwindled dramatically.  Anymore, in a world of mediocrity, the buying decisions is based on price.

Then along came that said, “There are consumers out there that will pay for quality”.  Apple then filled the void..

People no longer buy based on CR recommendations.  Their neighbor has more influence than CR does.

I’m not worried about the slight at all.  Look at iPhone sales since this idiocy began.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 15 January 2011 05:25 PM #5

I dropped Consumer Reports a couple of years ago because I found them to be less reliable than they had been.  It is difficult to maintain a high level of expertise across a broad range of products.  Expensive, too.  Areas where I felt that they maintained their competence were cars and TV sets. 

I suspect that the costs of running testing facilities may have gotten too high for their business model, to wit, no advertising.

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.