AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 24 January 2011 12:39 AM

Futures are slightly green. 

News about Apple is warmly positive.  iPhone ads make their appearance on NFL games today.

Apple was down last week on profit taking and general rattling about Steve Jobs.

[ Edited: 28 January 2011 09:42 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 24 January 2011 01:07 AM #1

And the weak hands have had three days to dump.  Like Fred Hickey e.g.  He panicked and sold all his AAPL this week; says he might buy back and sell again at $400.  Nice round number.  (nb: he still like MSFT better.)  Source: Barron’s

Posted: 24 January 2011 01:11 AM #2

I’m standing pat for now. 

Feeling the pain at present, but that’s the game when you invest/trade AAPL.  I’m in “glance at market quotes/AAPL price and move on” mode.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 24 January 2011 01:16 AM #3

Tetra, thanks for starting the topic.  grin

• Posted: 24 January 2011 01:26 AM #4

Monday

R4       354.16
      midpoint   350.04
    R3       345.91
      midpoint   341.79
    R2       337.66
      midpoint   334.93
    R1       332.19
      midpoint   330.80
    PP       329.41
      midpoint   326.68
    S1       323.94
      midpoint   322.55
    S2       321.16
      midpoint   317.04
    S3       312.91
      midpoint   308.79
    S4       304.66

Posted: 24 January 2011 01:32 AM #5

I’m nearly all ‘in’ but am still hoping/expecting a continuation of the sale. Would add a few more bushels of aaples if it got down close to 300.

cheers to the longs
          JohnG

Posted: 24 January 2011 02:01 AM #6

A lot of downward momentum last Thursday and Friday, and the HANG SENG INDEX is struggling at the moment. I don’t see a sudden leveling off of this momentum to a stable floor happening just yet.

[ Edited: 24 January 2011 02:05 AM by Pianoforte' ]      

Posted: 24 January 2011 08:42 AM #7

Mav - 24 January 2011 05:11 AM

I’m standing pat for now. 

Feeling the pain at present, but that’s the game when you invest/trade AAPL.  I’m in “glance at market quotes/AAPL price and move on” mode.

Mav, you and I must have similar stomachs, because I’m feeling the pain myself, just by virtue of seeing my trading account dip to a level I thought was behind me two weeks ago.  But that’s what I get for buying some on the way down last Wed. thru Friday (“catching the falling knife”, as Mace put it in another thread).  However, this is all hopefully temporary, and more hopefully, fleeting.  Mine are April 330s, which I am hoping will be at least 355 come April, but you never know with the SJ health situation and how the market may respond on a steady state basis with the Apple stock price.

Posted: 24 January 2011 09:14 AM #8

The NYT has an interesting article on Tim Cook and Apple
    The Understudy Takes the Stage at Apple

Posted: 24 January 2011 10:21 AM #9

Following the DJ Transportation and the Russell 2000 indexes, the NASDAQ composite fell below its uptrend line drawn from the August low Friday. Even though the uptrends of the DJI and the SPX stayed intact, most of intermediate term indicators are at lower highs.

Negative divergences abound.

The DJI has been a misleading indicator of the overall action as very few stocks showed good action in the midst of the carnage. The biggest change last week was that dip-buyers were not to be seen and momentum dried up.

Good reports from Apple and Google were sold. McDonald?s shares are down -1.35% on PM after showing results mostly beating, with same-store sales up 5%, revenue up to $6.21 billion vs $5.97 billion and EPS up 5%. Sell-the-news reaction to earnings may be a continuing theme.

We are finally having a correction of sorts that may just be a consolidation, a pause that refreshes buyers for another leg up.  Technicals however point to further downside for the short term.

In Asia,  fear of further policy tightening from Beijing continue to weigh on markets mostly down, with the exception of Japan, South Korea and Australia that ended higher.

Europe stocks are trading mostly lower. European Central Bank President Jean-Claude Trichet said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal over the weekend that inflation pressures in the euro zone must be watched closely. Shares of Royal Philips Electronics dropped sharply after missing earnings expectations and weighed on the market. The Eurozone?s January flash purchasing managers index rose to 56.3 beating expectations boosted by Germany?s stronger service sector activity.

PIIGS + Belgium sovereign debt problems still simmering backstage and could make a comeback anytime.

Catalysts for a pullback are plentiful.

Now for a look at Futures.

USDX at 78.435 up 0.08%. Euro at $1.3593 flat up 0.01%.

miniDJI at 11,825 gaining 3 points flatly up 0.03%

S&P 500 at 1281 up 0.10%

NASDAQ 100 at 2,269.75 flatly up 0.03%

AAPL at $327.61 up 0.27%. Would exercise caution PM as a pop could be sold very fast at open.

Overall cautions with a difficult pattern that may be taking place on the market were futures look good then a gradual rollover into the opening bell.

Now for the Bell and watch carefully the action before commiting.

Posted: 24 January 2011 10:37 AM #10

AAPL now 330.58 volume expanding now 1.8 million. Looks promissing.

Posted: 24 January 2011 11:33 AM #11

AAPL rebounded and is now at $331.11 with a volume of $6.3 million with a low of $326.72 and high of $331.88.

Intel announced a raise of dividend of 15% and raised $10 billion in its stock buyback program. This helped a bit the DJI this early morning session.

Still not convinced on the action on the overall market. Caution on betting on a rebound. AAPL is acting fine though.

Posted: 24 January 2011 11:39 AM #12

Anyone else having problems with TOS charting? Prophet comes up but not the regular stuff.

• Posted: 24 January 2011 12:00 PM #13

Moneyflow shows AAPL on top of “Selling on strength” already ?  rolleyes

Posted: 24 January 2011 12:05 PM #14

Arrived at floor R1.  Could someone press the R2 button.

Posted: 24 January 2011 12:22 PM #15

Good Morning Boys and Girls

The sponge woke up to discover my purchasing power increased significantly from Friday.  Went ahead and bought more shares about an hour ago and then again about 20 minutes.  I am all in and own more stock now then I did last week.

I think the OE played a role in the sale off, so now we should cont. to appreciate back to at least 348 in the next two weeks prior to Verizon iPHone.

I would have guessed 330 to 335 this week, but since we recovered so nicely in the first two hours, I think there is good chance we could hit 340 by end of the week.