AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 24 January 2011 06:19 PM #31

adamthompson3232 - 24 January 2011 04:20 PM

I will push it in six minutes. Waiting for a friend to board the elevator.

AT…what happened to your friend?  Oh well, what’s twenty cents, give or take amongst friends.  smile

Posted: 24 January 2011 06:24 PM #32

adamthompson3232 - 24 January 2011 09:37 PM
    Red shirted ensign - 24 January 2011 09:30 PM

Just My humble opinion, but I suspect we get the word on the rollout of hte IPAD 2 within a few days…..

Remember the rumor a while back that the IPAD one was announced on the 27th of January and on the calendar icon on the screen shots, it said “27”.  All the IPAD 2 rumored screen shots (and maybe some more recent IPAD shots from Apple itself…not sure) have the “9” on the calendar icon, leading the conspiracy theorists to lean toward an event on Wednesday, February 9th. If so, we should hear about it by February 1st or 2nd…or sooner.

Conspiracy, the spice of life…. :wink:

I give this theory zero percent chance of occurring. Apple will do nothing to takeaway from the vz iPhone launch an iPad 2 won’t be out until late march at the earliest. They will not announce iPad 2 until 1-2 weeks prior to launch.

Good points. O.k…I refuse to retreat. It means..MARCH 9

:-D

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 24 January 2011 06:51 PM #33

BrazilNuts - 24 January 2011 08:54 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 24 January 2011 08:36 PM
    BrazilNuts - 24 January 2011 07:35 PM

Just a few thoughts.

Many people are scratching their heads with the action today. It is mind boggling. The market does what it has to do regardless what we think. Technically the market was and is on a tight spot as described before.

Breath is very good now with close to 4 gainers to 1.7 decliners but still does not feel there is a lot of energy. Volume is on the light side. This could be an oversold bounce after last week’s poor action.

Went all cash on my trading position on AAPL before it started to pullback at around $350 on PM last week. Today arrived all cash and made some flips after chasing strength and still not convinced on DJI gaining 104.

A big move for indexes and AAPL. This could lead to profit taking tomorrow.

Maybe just being too cautious and the market will produce another V-shaped recovery. However not keen on betting on it, yet.

BKX at 53.15 down -0.78%. XLF at 16.46 flat. Financials underperforming.

DJI at 11972.84. gaining 110.8 points up 0.85%

SPX at 1290 up 0.57%

NDX at 2298.86 up 1.35%. QQQQ at 56.44 up 1.36%.

AAPL at $335.95 gaining $9.23 up 2.83%. Volume at 15.3 million.

VIX at 17.58 down -4.82%.

This market scares me. I want a direction be it a trading range that drags sideways, up or down. I really don’t care so long as I get it. At this point, I know lousy data is out there but people keep puffing the sails.

Doesn’t it look manufactured? Head to 12,000 and ...

It does but I’m after what FMCC and FNMA did today….  :innocent:

Anyway, you see the technicals: we’ll likely get some kind of consolidation if for no other reason than the cyclical tech season and the soft financial sector. It does look like people are still piling onto the “everybody hasta eat” trading thesis. And monster commodities profits is floating CAT and DE’s boats. MON just got a big upgrade and so on.

That said, this market feels like somebody just gave me a bunch of money to establish positions under the thesis that we’re in a beginning bull market. Look at what is up, at what sectors and think like a money manager just starting out…combined a weirds sense of the train is leaving from money rotating out of fixed into not-fixed. Scary.

The trend is your friend until it bends.

[ Edited: 24 January 2011 07:27 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 24 January 2011 07:45 PM #34

CSX - mo-mo love

For anyone interested..  there may be some serious Mo-Mo (momentum) love on CSX..  they just reported a blow out quarter and they are within a $1 of their all time high of $70.70 which was printed in may of 2008..

if this breaks.. this is one of the easiest ways to drum up some loot in the stock market..  just ask Mr. Jessie Livermore..

I hope this breaks.. and rolls..  I’ll be right there a minute before the close throwing on some contracts, if it closes on a new all-time high..  I’ll scale in fatter in the morning the next day providing it contiues to ascend.. I’ll set a 10-15% stop on my contracts too..  if it doesn’t open right or sells off in the morning, that should be my max loss..  providing there’s no crazy macro issues

CHOO-CHOO!!

Posted: 24 January 2011 08:07 PM #35

FSLR just put in and closed on a one year high today with a strong 6% rise

Posted: 24 January 2011 08:20 PM #36

blaze biscuits - 24 January 2011 11:45 PM

CSX - mo-mo love

For anyone interested..  there may be some serious Mo-Mo (momentum) love on CSX..  they just reported a blow out quarter and they are within a $1 of their all time high of $70.70 which was printed in may of 2008..

if this breaks.. this is one of the easiest ways to drum up some loot in the stock market..  just ask Mr. Jessie Livermore..

I hope this breaks.. and rolls..  I’ll be right there a minute before the close throwing on some contracts, if it closes on a new all-time high..  I’ll scale in fatter in the morning the next day providing it contiues to ascend.. I’ll set a 10-15% stop on my contracts too..  if it doesn’t open right or sells off in the morning, that should be my max loss..  providing there’s no crazy macro issues

CHOO-CHOO!!

Choo-Choo!

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 24 January 2011 09:29 PM #37

Eric Landstrom - 25 January 2011 12:20 AM

Choo-Choo!

lol..  when I finally (hopefully) start my own fund one day.. I should use this picture for the brochures..

that’s fresh

[ Edited: 24 January 2011 09:32 PM by blaze biscuits ]      

Posted: 24 January 2011 09:32 PM #38

Bryanyc - 25 January 2011 12:07 AM

FSLR just put in and closed on a one year high today with a strong 6% rise

thanks..  I’m checking the charts now..

I hope I didn’t miss any solar love.. because I have been meaning to investigate those stocks..  I got a handful of tickers but I haven’t charted them all out yet.. 

thanks

Posted: 24 January 2011 10:51 PM #39

Today was a great day.  We recovered very strongly.  This reminds me of the Nov 18 move.  We went up from 297 on Nov 17 to 308 the next day.  By Nov 29 it hit 316 and a little over month later we hit 340. That was a 15% move.

I don’t see such a move this time, but you never know.

I think we could give some back tomorrow, but we could see 345 by end of the week.

I am not in the bear camp.  We may have a correction, but it will be short and not deep.  I don’t see it until middle of Feb, and we should come down to 330 at the worst.

Posted: 24 January 2011 11:51 PM #40

Still around Unique, just laying low. Sassy is here and I don’t want her to get mad at me.  :innocent:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 25 January 2011 12:15 AM #41

Huh?  Must’ve missed some exciting things around here, I guess.

As for the market’s impact on AAPL - it doesn’t always follow the market.  Like today, for instance, it far outpaced the indices.  Let’s not forget, AAPL went up about 60% last year while the NASDAQ went up about 15%. 

I don’t think it follows that if the NASDAQ goes down 15% this year, or the Dow bounces off the 12000 ceiling, AAPL will inevitably go down as well.  AAPL’s is hilariously cheap on a P/E basis (18.8) right now, and AAPL saw a P/E of 22+ every single quarter in 2010.  Fundamentals and growth trends do matter, and AAPL has them in spades.  Individual companies can beat back the tide, and it helps that AAPL’s P/E is so low.  We’ll see if the lack of Uptick Rule and the FUD machine about Steve Jobs’ daily watering can of inspiration keeping Apple/AAPL on life support (and/or Antennagate 2 or whatever this year’s AAPL tempest in a teapot turns out to be) wins out over Apple’s compelling growth story and a better overall sentiment about the economy than there was last year.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 25 January 2011 01:52 AM #42

Tuesday

R4       366.06
      midpoint   360.70
    R3       355.33
      midpoint   349.97
    R2       344.60
      midpoint   342.82
    R1       341.03
      midpoint   337.45
    PP       333.87
      midpoint   332.09
    S1       330.30
      midpoint   326.72
    S2       323.14
      midpoint   317.78
    S3       312.41
      midpoint   307.05
    S4       301.6

Posted: 25 January 2011 07:20 AM #43

Eric Landstrom - 24 January 2011 10:51 PM

... That said, this market feels like somebody just gave me a bunch of money to establish positions under the thesis that we’re in a beginning bull market ...

Everybody said 2011 is a bull market, so buy any corrections, consolidations, pullbacks and dips as you can’t lose money in a bull market.  Even if you’ve bought at a short-term high, it would eventually go higher.  This is the mood now.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 25 January 2011 07:41 AM #44

Fellas…just a quick question for all you pro’s…
    What are the odds that we see a (major) correction? Don’t want to pull the trigger: stayed in all the way and still hanging in the (apple) tree..

thx

Posted: 25 January 2011 10:02 AM #45

Mav - 25 January 2011 04:15 AM

Huh?  Must’ve missed some exciting things around here, I guess.

As for the market’s impact on AAPL - it doesn’t always follow the market.  Like today, for instance, it far outpaced the indices.  Let’s not forget, AAPL went up about 60% last year while the NASDAQ went up about 15%. 

I don’t think it follows that if the NASDAQ goes down 15% this year, or the Dow bounces off the 12000 ceiling, AAPL will inevitably go down as well.  AAPL’s is hilariously cheap on a P/E basis (18.8) right now, and AAPL saw a P/E of 22+ every single quarter in 2010.  Fundamentals and growth trends do matter, and AAPL has them in spades.  Individual companies can beat back the tide, and it helps that AAPL’s P/E is so low.  We’ll see if the lack of Uptick Rule and the FUD machine about Steve Jobs’ daily watering can of inspiration keeping Apple/AAPL on life support (and/or Antennagate 2 or whatever this year’s AAPL tempest in a teapot turns out to be) wins out over Apple’s compelling growth story and a better overall sentiment about the economy than there was last year.

I agree with Mav, and it looks like our new floor is 325-330, even - dare I ay this - in the event of an overall market correction.  That seemed to be the pattern in previous corrections, including the Mother of All Corrections last May, when - except for a handful of days, including the Flash Crash on May 7 - Apple marched to its own drummer. 

By the way, I found the story below on some possibilities about SJ’s current health issue and possible treatment options, which I actually felt encouraging for Steve.

http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aq1NeVBevvEw&pos=9