“Other” stocks

Posted: 29 August 2012 03:52 PM #1051

By the way, I only bought Jan’14 because there were no ‘15s available yet - might switch or add in Sept when those become availabe. I think FB needs more time to digest its current valuation, but I also think they’re here to stay in one capacity of another. It’s not Myspace. (Comparing FB to Myspace is like comparing the iPad to Newton, IMHO).

Also, check out the Short % of Float on FB: 18.6%! If they have any indication of strong earnings or growth at the next couple earnings releases, there will be a massive short squeeze.

I do think there was a social media bubble that has popped and is in the process of unraveling. Here is a list of companies I considered shorting (but didn’t, alas!) at IPO:
    - ZNGA
    - GRPN
    - FB (yup! I definitely leaned on the ‘overvalued’ side in May, especially as it was killing AAPL)

Considered going long LNKD but didn’t pull the trigger either.

• Posted: 29 August 2012 04:36 PM #1052

From a consumer standpoint, I love Yelp. I find it to be highly reliable. I use it mostly for dining when I am traveling, but also use it to review local spots on a frequent basis.

Posted: 29 August 2012 04:43 PM #1053

Another stock I jumped into several weeks ago was JCP. I never invested in retail, and never shopped at JCPenney (had to go buy some socks to see the store in action) - but this is essentially a bet on Ron Johnson.

Both the stock and the Jan’14 $30 calls are nicely up today.

But - again - the total is only 1% of my portfolio.

Posted: 30 August 2012 08:27 PM #1054

Dell and HPQ dismal ?  yep. 

Digging a new basement or two.  It sure won’t be a man cave.

Posted: 31 August 2012 01:01 PM #1055

FB , new low 18.30 at the moment which is minus 4 %

GRPN , also a new low, currently 4.17

Posted: 31 August 2012 03:57 PM #1056

Tetrachloride - 31 August 2012 04:01 PM

FB , new low 18.30 at the moment which is minus 4 %

GRPN , also a new low, currently 4.17

Yup, I’m deep underwater now on FB - not in a rush to add until $15 or so. Though, I wonder if my former prof’s limit order on FB at $18 will fill today. (On the other hand, his outlook on GRPN is much more dire.)

Posted: 01 September 2012 03:40 PM #1057

Facebook news dump   Wired

Facebook says it is removing fraudulently generated ?likes,? which helped make some businesses on Facebook appear more popular than they really were.

In a post on its security blog, Facebook wrote that it ?recently increased our automated efforts to remove [fake] Likes? on business pages. In other words, business pages were previously puffed up thanks to shady clicks from fake or hijacked Facebook accounts.

Facebook is dumping this news at a time when few people will read it, on a Friday before a holiday weekend. And no wonder: The implications are disturbing. Facebook?s advertising system is built on the idea that consumers will be willing to build closer relationships with advertisers, ?liking? the advertiser?s pages, reading the advertiser?s status updates, and circulating content about the advertiser to friends. If an advertiser?s popularity is exaggerated by fake ?likes,? it makes the business less trustworthy and less likely to be engaged by real consumers.

Similarly, legitimate advertisers need to be able to trust that Facebook is populated with real people engaging in real activities. If the social network becomes a haven of bots and fake clicks, no business will want to buy advertising, often billed on a per-click basis. At least one business has already claimed its Facebook advertising spend was squandered on bot clicks.

Posted: 04 September 2012 10:45 AM #1058

FB red.  Dell red.  Amzn, All-time-high, now red.

AAPL, green.

• Posted: 04 September 2012 08:34 PM #1059

Treehouse - 04 September 2012 10:45 AM

FB red.  Dell red.  Amzn, All-time-high, now red.

AAPL, green.

I’m green on my AMZN puts.  smile

• Posted: 04 September 2012 08:37 PM #1060

Tetrachloride - 30 August 2012 08:27 PM

I own HPQ on the idea that Meg is going to be partly successful with the blitzkrieg of HP ads that attempt to brainwash the public that its future is brighter than its past.  I’ll be out at $19.

• Posted: 06 September 2012 01:40 AM #1061

Mercel - 04 September 2012 08:37 PM

I own HPQ on the idea that Meg is going to be partly successful with the blitzkrieg of HP ads that attempt to brainwash the public that its future is brighter than its past.  I’ll be out at $19.

You didn’t buy HPQ, did you?

There are some (and I mean some, not many) sweet deals among the iPhone component suppliers. I’m watching those opportunities right now to the virtual exclusion of all else.

HPQ has a long way back…

Posted: 06 September 2012 12:36 PM #1062

AMZN and FB continue the inexplicable.  AMZN at all time high.  http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AMZN&ql=0

FB is up because “Zuckerberg won’t sell.”  Right.  This instills profound confidence in the con man.

FB http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=fb&ql=1

• Posted: 06 September 2012 12:58 PM #1063

DawnTreader - 06 September 2012 01:40 AM
    Mercel - 04 September 2012 08:37 PM

You didn’t buy HPQ, did you?

There are some (and I mean some, not many) sweet deals among the iPhone component suppliers. I’m watching those opportunities right now to the virtual exclusion of all else.

HPQ has a long way back…

I sold it yesterday for Starbucks money…

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:21 AM #1064

AMZN PE 314.  Dell and HPQ continue living in their mom’s basement.

Posted: 07 September 2012 12:36 PM #1065

Proof that Wall Street analysts are ...  (whatever)

Bank of America sets AMZN target price at 281.