“Other” stocks

• Posted: 11 February 2011 10:57 PM #76

blaze biscuits - 11 February 2011 04:39 PM

[...] I closed my whole account out and switched brokerages to a) get the hell out of $10 trades at TD.. and b) get 100 free trades in 60 days at OptionsHouse..  and probably most importantly.. c) force myself to take a break and study more without getting jumpy and trying to test the system too soon.

[...]

I understand b and c.  But what is the reference to $10 dollar trades at TD?

Self discipline might be the most important characteristic of a successful trader.  Have you read anything by Alexander Elder?  He is not really an options guy, but has written a couple of good trading books.

edit: corrected Elder’s first name.

[ Edited: 13 February 2011 07:20 PM by capablanca ]      

Posted: 12 February 2011 12:52 AM #77

capablanca - 12 February 2011 02:57 AM
    blaze biscuits - 11 February 2011 04:39 PM

[...] I closed my whole account out and switched brokerages to a) get the hell out of $10 trades at TD.. and b) get 100 free trades in 60 days at OptionsHouse..  and probably most importantly.. c) force myself to take a break and study more without getting jumpy and trying to test the system too soon.

[...]

I understand b and c.  But what is the reference to $10 dollar trades at TD?

Self discipline might be the most important characteristic of a successful trader.  Have you read anything by Lawrence Elder?  He is not really an options guy, but has written a couple of good trading books.

I have not read him yet..  but I have one of his books upstairs.  I have a stack of them and just have not got to that one yet.

the $10 trades are a reference to the commission..  $20 roundtrip + contract costs..  It adds up big if you compound it over time..  especially when you trade a lot of course.

and thanks for the book suggestion..  maybe I’ll read the one I got next.  I forget the title..

Which one is his best?  in your opinion of course..

• Posted: 12 February 2011 05:02 PM #78

blaze biscuits - 12 February 2011 04:52 AM

[...]

I am away from my library, but Come into my Trading Room might be the one you will get the most from.  It was written about a dozen years after Trading for a Living.  There is a lot of overlap.  Read the first review in the link above; it will give you an idea of some of the differences.

Posted: 12 February 2011 07:00 PM #79

capablanca - 12 February 2011 09:02 PM
    blaze biscuits - 12 February 2011 04:52 AM

[...]

I am away from my library, but Come into my Trading Room might be the one you will get the most from.  It was written about a dozen years after Trading for a Living.  There is a lot of overlap.  Read the first review in the link above; it will give you an idea of some of the differences.

I looked through my books (oddly enough) about 5 minutes before checking the board here..  I do not see any from that author although I could of sworn I bought him.  I have more books in storage though..

That title “trading for a living” sounds extremeely familiar and it is, I believe, the one that I bought..

but..  lol..  I’m going on amazon right now and buying the other one..

thank you VERY much..  sincerely.  I have heard his name come up in a few different spots and from people whose opinions I felt comfortable listening to..  due to their success and candor..

thanks again.

Posted: 13 February 2011 05:04 PM #80

AMT has broken out..  all-time high time

Posted: 14 February 2011 02:30 PM #81

adamthompson3232 - 14 February 2011 03:35 PM

NFLX at $245+!!! WTF?!?!?!?

wow..  that is SO crazy..  amazing.  I"m going to trade the hell out of this one this year

• Posted: 14 February 2011 07:57 PM #82

Prompted by another 6% drop today, I took a look at the NOK weekly chart.  At $8.85 it is very near the lows of both March ‘09 and June ‘10.  MACD and RSI are both diverging.  On the daily chart, the Bollinger Bands were blown past.

I might take a flyer on this for a short term trade, probably with a vertical spread.  But I’ll sleep on it before deciding.

Posted: 15 February 2011 11:23 AM #83

capablanca - 14 February 2011 11:57 PM

Prompted by another 6% drop today, I took a look at the NOK weekly chart.  At $8.85 it is very near the lows of both March ‘09 and June ‘10.  MACD and RSI are both diverging.  On the daily chart, the Bollinger Bands were blown past.

I might take a flyer on this for a short term trade, probably with a vertical spread.  But I’ll sleep on it before deciding.

I’m going to put this on my radar..  do you think we are at a bottom with this?

Posted: 15 February 2011 05:11 PM #84

I’m out of QCOM with a 90% gain since thursday..  thats nice.

That will help to build myself out of the hole I created with my PriceLine debacle..

note: never bet 75% on ANY one thing.. lol

• Posted: 15 February 2011 07:02 PM #85

blaze biscuits - 15 February 2011 09:11 PM

That will help to build myself out of the hole I created with my PriceLine debacle..

Nicely done Blaze…  Were those Febs that you purchased?
    I’m holding tight on my Jan 12’s they could prove to be worth something someday wink

• Posted: 15 February 2011 07:20 PM #86

blaze biscuits - 15 February 2011 03:23 PM
    capablanca - 14 February 2011 11:57 PM

I’m going to put this on my radar..  do you think we are at a bottom with this?

That is the proposition.  If you ignore fundamentals, and just look at the charts this could be a trading bottom.  If $8.50 does not hold, I’d say look out below.

In semi-cowardly fashion I put on the 8/9 April vertical for .58 this morning.  If I am lucky, I’ll make .42 less commissions.

Posted: 15 February 2011 07:34 PM #87

bilter2000 - 15 February 2011 11:02 PM
    blaze biscuits - 15 February 2011 09:11 PM

Nicely done Blaze…  Were those Febs that you purchased?
    I’m holding tight on my Jan 12’s they could prove to be worth something someday wink

Yes sir..  Febs. 

And I bet yours will be worth cash..  I’m just a trend trader, thats why I do what I do.

I think qualcomm long distance..  is a great investment.

• Posted: 16 February 2011 02:15 AM #88

Here is one that I think is overpriced:  Cheesecake Factory (CAKE 29.59)

Their business is not growing much; their ingredient costs are rising; their P/E is about 20.  The 22-day EMA turned down around the end of the year, and now looks to have broken the uptrend.  If it gets up to $30.10 tomorrow, I will put on a put spread hoping to cash out at around 27.25 (200-day SMA).  Stop out at around $31.

Posted: 16 February 2011 02:34 PM #89

Cheers to all us LQMT holders!

edit:  Looks like the new MacBookPros will have LQMT cases.  Link blacklisted.  cultofmac.com/report-lighter-cheaper-longer-lasting-liquidmetal-macbook-pros-incoming/82367

[ Edited: 16 February 2011 05:18 PM by macglenn ]

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 16 February 2011 07:11 PM #90

macglenn - 16 February 2011 06:34 PM

Cheers to all us LQMT holders!

edit:  Looks like the new MacBookPros will have LQMT cases.  Link blacklisted.  cultofmac.com/report-lighter-cheaper-longer-lasting-liquidmetal-macbook-pros-incoming/82367

why is their stock only .63 cents a share?  besides the fact that for the nine months ended sept 30, 2010, net loss totaled $17.1M vs. an income of $2.8M.