They did what?

• Posted: 28 January 2011 02:46 PM

This doesn’t help anyone.

Posted: 28 January 2011 04:52 PM #1

Unless the Egyptian army is taking a stand of force against the protests, then the Egyptian government will fall within a week.

• Posted: 28 January 2011 05:32 PM #2

I wonder how “information wants to be free” will play out with this over the coming years.

Other attempts to block users have resulted in new protocols being rapidly developed to bypass the attempts of centralized authority to block access. (eg Gnutella)

If it’s physical connectivity that’s been blocked,  I’d expect wireless mesh networking to become popular, with satellite access to the wider internet.

The original spec for Arpanet was a network that could sustain nuclear attacks and keep on running. It’s horribly (for totalitarian governments) resilient to attempts to shut it down.

And of course for efficiency reasons the internet is going to get new protocols so that when, for example, you ask for the New York Times site, a local system can deliver a crypto-authenticated copy which you can assure yourself is a true copy. It only needs to get into Egypt once. Couldbe over a dial-up voice connection. The current protocols where you have to be literally connected to a website to see its data is kind of crazy: like not being able to buy a copy of the Times from a newstand, but having to arrange an individual physical delivery direct from New York.

• Posted: 28 January 2011 05:56 PM #3

I know they are rare but they remain a light in the darkest times. They are the Ham Radio Operators.

• Posted: 01 February 2011 12:03 PM #4

Information does want to be free. Google and Twitter have teamed up to let people in Egypt tweet by calling and phone number and speaking their update into a voice recognition system. It seems no matter how much they crack down, people will continue to find new ways to communicate with the outside world.