The Macintosh Revenue Paradox

Posted: 25 February 2011 02:36 AM #31

You roll in a polo-optimized Segway, Drew?

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 25 February 2011 03:59 AM #32

Mav - 25 February 2011 06:36 AM

You roll in a polo-optimized Segway, Drew?

Nope, just the eVest. Did I hear someone here scored a used Segway for $500? I’d pay that much for one, but not $5k. Wouldn’t play polo, though.

• Posted: 25 February 2011 10:43 AM #33

DawnTreader - 29 January 2011 08:46 PM

My latest missive at Eventide.

Snippet: In the recent December quarter, Macintosh CPU sales produced revenue of over $5.4 billion yet represented just over 20% of Apple’s reported revenue. To put the Mac’s unit’s revenue performance in a broader perspective, in FY2011 Macintosh CPU sales will produce revenue at or above $21 billion and revenue from Mac sales will exceed Apple’s revenue from all sources as recently as FY2006. This paradox of record revenue and declining percentage of revenue contribution to Apple’s overall results is due of course to the popularity of Apple’s iOS-based products such as the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad.

It really is only in comparison to the current success of the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad that the continuing success of the Mac could be overshadowed.

Bringing the topic back full circle, I do expect the new MBPs to firm unit sales in the quarter and buoy ASPs. The 15” and 17” models really add to the value proposition and will push Apple’s overall take of the industry’s revenue even higher.

Posted: 25 February 2011 11:31 AM #34

I agree.  This is a very strong value proposition and good for the bottom line.

Posted: 25 February 2011 11:45 AM #35

Tetrachloride - 25 February 2011 03:31 PM

I agree.  This is a very strong value proposition and good for the bottom line.

AND we get them earlier this year, contributing to Q2 as PED points out.

Posted: 25 February 2011 03:00 PM #36

This has probably been posted in another thread.

Mac enterprise sales explode

?The surge in Mac sales in the business market coincided with the introduction of the iPad in the second quarter of 2010,? said Charlie Wolf, analyst, Needham. ?It?s likely, then, that the halo effect emanating from the iPad will be far stronger than the iPhone halo effect in the business market if only because the iPad is a kissing cousin of Apple?s family of notebook computers.?

? Overall PC industry growth in Q4 ?10 was an anemic 3.4 percent
    ? Overall enterprise sales grew by 9.7 percent

? Overall Mac sales grew 23.5 percent
    ? Mac enterprise sales leapt by a whopping 65.4 percent
    ? ?Very large business? sales doubled
    ? Sales to government increased by more than 600 percent

Posted: 25 February 2011 03:25 PM #37

Adam, I’m wondering if the enterprise component could snowball. Couple that with the possibility that the PC market could actually begin to contract and it’s possible the market share tripling could happen sooner than 5 yrs.

Instead of looking at market share numbers, has anyone tracked revenue share in the computer market? Mac ASP to the enterprise must be higher than to the consumer market, right? Wouldn’t that mean an acceleration in Apple’s revenue share?

• Posted: 26 February 2011 01:38 AM #38

The domestic PC market is imploding economically. The rates of fastest unit sales growth in the PC market are occurring in developing nations where margins are under heavy pressure. The Mac really is in an economic class all its own and comparing the Mac’s revenue, unit sales and market share to any of the major PC makers does not bring about meaningful or accurate results.

Essentially Apple is eroding the economic underpinnings of the PC market with products such as the iPad and the company’s multi-device product paradigm. There isn’t another device maker like Apple anywhere on the planet.

Posted: 26 February 2011 09:52 AM #39

Mercel - 25 February 2011 06:27 AM

I have a man bag.  It’s black, not pink.

:-D :-D :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iawDvGfDBc

There is no such thing as a “man” bag. Its a damn purse! LOL

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 26 February 2011 09:59 AM #40

DawnTreader - 25 February 2011 02:43 PM

Bringing the topic back full circle, I do expect the new MBPs to firm unit sales in the quarter and buoy ASPs. The 15” and 17” models really add to the value proposition and will push Apple’s overall take of the industry’s revenue even higher.

Whats the matter DT, us cats going in to many directions. tongue laugh

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 26 February 2011 07:54 PM #41

mbeauch - 26 February 2011 01:59 PM
    DawnTreader - 25 February 2011 02:43 PM

Whats the matter DT, us cats going in to many directions. tongue laugh

Rather than discussing male “purses” I’d rather have discussions with a meaningful “purpose.” Male fashion statements should be discussed in its own topic.  LOL

• Posted: 26 February 2011 07:57 PM #42

DawnTreader - 29 January 2011 08:46 PM

My latest missive at Eventide.

Snippet: In the recent December quarter, Macintosh CPU sales produced revenue of over $5.4 billion yet represented just over 20% of Apple’s reported revenue. To put the Mac’s unit’s revenue performance in a broader perspective, in FY2011 Macintosh CPU sales will produce revenue at or above $21 billion and revenue from Mac sales will exceed Apple’s revenue from all sources as recently as FY2006. This paradox of record revenue and declining percentage of revenue contribution to Apple’s overall results is due of course to the popularity of Apple’s iOS-based products such as the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad.

It really is only in comparison to the current success of the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad that the continuing success of the Mac could be overshadowed.

Back on track: Let’s discuss filling our “purses” rather than the color or dimensions of our fashion accessories. The new MBPs will assist with the former. The latter are a matter of personal taste.  grin

Posted: 27 February 2011 05:52 AM #43

So we have had our big MacBook pro update for 2011, who is up for guessing on what we might see in the way of an iMac update that could continue to boost sales?

One thing I have considered is maybe a touchscreen iMac that tilts into a horizontal position. Maybe alongside a release of Lion at WWDC, with one of lions hidden features being ian OS emulation layer. One of the early features of Lion previewed was a iOS style app launcher, and apps running in full screen mode 1 which is almost a prerequisite for useful touch apps implementation (otherwise fingers would brush outside the app windows).

Before anyone mention SJs keynote where he said no one wants to use touch screens on computers because there arms get tired, he was referring to computer screens in the vertical position, and made no mention of computer screens in horizontal positions (which would be just like a large iPad)

So there’s my prediction: touch screen iMac with a tillable display alongside Mac OS X Lion with an iOS style touch implementation and/or emulation for ipad apps.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 27 February 2011 06:00 AM #44

I don’t see much utility for a horizontal screen outside of their cameo spots on a couple of cop shows on TV. The game potential is there however now that I think about it.

• Posted: 27 February 2011 09:32 AM #45

Still hoping for a chin free, zero bezel iMac with a vesa mount, cable and hdmi inputs.  I’d buy three at a minimum.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!