The Macintosh Revenue Paradox

• Posted: 07 March 2011 12:11 PM #76

rattyuk - 07 March 2011 03:29 AM
    Mav - 06 March 2011 01:24 AM

The Mac App Store is nice, but it’ll take quite a bit more time to really get going (in part because Lion is the OS the Store will integrate best with).  I’d love to be wrong on this, btw.

You are spot on with this comment. There are things that the App Store does in Snow Leopard that makes no sense - specifically adding apps to the dock so you end up with an over stuffed dock. It was definitely a stop gap solution.

It’s a way to let novices know the app has been successfully downloaded. This may not be the best solution or the solution for the long term but at the inception of the store it makes things really easy and no one has to wonder whether or not the app has been installed.

This mode of purchase may be familiar to people who buy music through iTunes but it’s a new way to buy software.

• Posted: 07 March 2011 07:32 PM #77

rattyuk - 07 March 2011 03:29 AM
    Mav - 06 March 2011 01:24 AM

The Mac App Store is nice, but it’ll take quite a bit more time to really get going (in part because Lion is the OS the Store will integrate best with).  I’d love to be wrong on this, btw.

You are spot on with this comment. There are things that the App Store does in Snow Leopard that makes no sense - specifically adding apps to the dock so you end up with an over stuffed dock. It was definitely a stop gap solution.

We’ll see what Lion brings. Opening the market to developers to access sales opportunities for every Mac owner with an iTunes account is a natural step forward for Apple and a means to expand the number of apps and applications available to consumers.

• Posted: 09 March 2011 03:41 PM #78

DawnTreader - 29 January 2011 08:46 PM

My latest missive at Eventide.

Snippet: In the recent December quarter, Macintosh CPU sales produced revenue of over $5.4 billion yet represented just over 20% of Apple’s reported revenue. To put the Mac’s unit’s revenue performance in a broader perspective, in FY2011 Macintosh CPU sales will produce revenue at or above $21 billion and revenue from Mac sales will exceed Apple’s revenue from all sources as recently as FY2006. This paradox of record revenue and declining percentage of revenue contribution to Apple’s overall results is due of course to the popularity of Apple’s iOS-based products such as the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad.

It really is only in comparison to the current success of the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad that the continuing success of the Mac could be overshadowed.

I keep coming back to a couple of points you made in this post. Mac revenue will break $21 billion this fiscal year. That alone suggests the iOS devices (and the traffic they generate to the retail stores) are boosting Mac sales.

• Posted: 09 March 2011 07:30 PM #79

Sparky - 09 March 2011 07:41 PM
    DawnTreader - 29 January 2011 08:46 PM

My latest missive at Eventide.

Snippet: In the recent December quarter, Macintosh CPU sales produced revenue of over $5.4 billion yet represented just over 20% of Apple’s reported revenue. To put the Mac’s unit’s revenue performance in a broader perspective, in FY2011 Macintosh CPU sales will produce revenue at or above $21 billion and revenue from Mac sales will exceed Apple’s revenue from all sources as recently as FY2006. This paradox of record revenue and declining percentage of revenue contribution to Apple’s overall results is due of course to the popularity of Apple’s iOS-based products such as the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad.

It really is only in comparison to the current success of the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad that the continuing success of the Mac could be overshadowed.

I keep coming back to a couple of points you made in this post. Mac revenue will break $21 billion this fiscal year. That alone suggests the iOS devices (and the traffic they generate to the retail stores) are boosting Mac sales.

In all, I expect the iPad to assist in Mac adoption by Windows users who are new to the Mac platform. The iPad is also an incredible draw away from netbook sales.

• Posted: 13 March 2011 08:39 PM #80

If IDC’s estimates are accurate we should see a boost to the Mac’s market share this quarter.

[ Edited: 13 March 2011 08:43 PM by Sparky ]      

Posted: 13 March 2011 09:56 PM #81

Sparky - 09 March 2011 07:41 PM

Let’s not forget to give the Mac team a bit of credit. They have been releasing some pretty great upgrades for many of their products (iMac, MB Pro, MB Air). There might even be times when people come into a store to look at a Mac and walk out with an iPad.

• Posted: 13 March 2011 11:03 PM #82

adamthompson3232 - 14 March 2011 12:58 AM
    Sparky - 13 March 2011 11:39 PM

If IDC’s estimates are accurate we should see a boost to the Mac’s market share this quarter.

I believe Mac has increased market share for like 40 consecutive quarters so there’s no surprise there.

The Apple iPad is putting pressure on Windows PC sales and the Mac’s rate of unit sales growth domestically may represent most of the overall growth leading to a noticeable rise in share. Globally PCs are doing better in developing economies but margins are under heavy pressure. All the way around Apple is advancing on the competition.