AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 04 February 2011 09:43 AM #166

rattyuk - 04 February 2011 01:32 PM
    ChasMac77 - 04 February 2011 02:51 AM
    mbeauch - 04 February 2011 02:29 AM

Mav, I looked for a link, but can’t find one for the VZ commercial.

The TM commercial was not as good, but at least the girl looks cute. :-D

Look towards the bottom for the new ad

I think the interesting thing about this campaign is that it appears that Apple are allowing Verizon to advertise the iPhone. Forgive me if I am wrong but I thought that Apple refused to allow ATT to use the iPhone in any of their TV commercials. Apple would chuck the logo up at the end but it would be an Apple produced ad. Unless all of that leading to the last two shots is an Apple ad that Verizon have branded.

VZ: can we rip on AT&T?
    APPLE: Rip? No, but make it a big F.U. and we’re all in!

I imagine there’s a little animosity on Apple’s part

Posted: 04 February 2011 09:49 AM #167

Record sales if iPhone 4 on first day for Verizon Wireless being announced. More to come.

Day of Departure in Cairo becoming highly flammable with crowds surging in Tahrir Square and the government?s heavy handed “crowd control” crackdown policy being implemented with the international press being harassed and intimidated. Pro-government groups on a hand to hand combat with the anti-government groups for days now on what is being called The Battle for Tahrir Square. Will the violence surge bring instability to markets?

The United Nations said on Thursday its Food and Agriculture Organization Food Price Index rose for the seventh month in a row to reach 231 in January, topping the peak of 224.1 last seen in June 2008. It is the highest level the index has reached since records began in 1990.

Most Asian markets are still closed for the Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year holiday; Year of the Golden Rabbit. The Rabbit is a lucky sign. Markets that were open, such as Japan and Australia gained, while India retreated.
    European markets advancing with Stoxx Europe 600 index gaining 0.33%. It closed up 0.1% yesterday.

The economic data released a while ago, shows the U.S. economy added 36,000 jobs in January. The unemployment rate fell to 9%, the lowest since April 2009. Estimates were of 140,000 jobs added. We still have to see how the numbers are digested, however Futures advanced a bit.

USDX at 77.91 flattish to up 0.06%. Euro at $1.3638 flattish to up 0.07%. Canadian Dollar at $1.0135 up 0.42% as Canada adds 69,000 jobs.

miniDJI at 12,040 gaining 31 points up 0.26%.

S&P 500 at 1306.60 up 0.25%

NASDAQ 100 at 2329 up 0.31%

AAPL at $343.99 up 0.16% on PM. Believe the stock will move up soon. Verizon says ” in just our first two hours, we had already sold more phones than any first day launch in our history”. The general market launch will be February 10, Thursday next week.

Expect some volatility as usual on open and will wait for markets to stabilize.

Posted: 04 February 2011 10:05 AM #168

They were here, and now they?re gone.

Verizon Wireless (VZ, VOD) sold out its allotment of phones targeted at pre-orders of the new CDMA version of the Apple (AAPL) iPhone in just 17 hours, Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White points out in a research note. Stating the obvious, he asserts that demand was much stronger than expected.

?The pre-order period for Verizon customers began today at 3:00 am ET and was expected to continue up until the launch date of February 10,? White writes in a research note. ?However, demand was so overwhelming strong that the iPhone 4 inventory dedicated to this pre-order period was used up in approximately 17 hours and the Internet portal closed this evening at approximately 8:10 pm ET.?

http://blogs.forbes.com/ericsavitz/2011/02/04/apple-verizon-sells-out-iphone-pre-orders-in-17-hours/

Posted: 04 February 2011 10:11 AM #169

And Rimm is up 2% on an upgrade from MS - go figure….

• Posted: 04 February 2011 10:18 AM #170

Bit disappointed by premarket AAPL action. Expected a significant bump over 345.60 (heavy resistance) with VZ and Apple running out of phones. Maybe options are holding back the appreciation here.

Posted: 04 February 2011 11:02 AM #171

This is the 3rd time for AAPL to test the waters of 345 in the past month.  The trading range has been 330-345 for the most part, 5 % wide.

This means that AAPL has been holding steady while
    1) macroeconomic and
    2) Middle East news
    3) and VZ iPhone trends
    4) and iPad 2 rumors

appear.

Tetrachloride AAPL trading range for the next 3 weeks:  340-370

Posted: 04 February 2011 11:20 AM #172

I’ve finished the second of three legs of classes required in order to get a RE sales license in MN and I’ve come back to FNMA and FMCC continuing to backfill their delisting gaps down. Since I rolled out of AAPL into the GSEs a while back all I can say is that I love it when a plan comes together!

The jobs report is of limited value because only the mountain and upper midwest states know how to conduct business while it is snowing. Bah. I’ll ignore today’s January report and wait for Feb’s job report for confirmation of what is really going on.

Nationally, it is expected that 435,000 homes will be sold this year, up 10 to 15% over 2010. For 2010, around 51% of sales where first time home buyers and 45% of those loans were FHA loans. Rents are at 2007 levels again suggesting that there will be resumed pressure to buy homes.

Fannie and Freddie are expected to not be nationalized at this point but the government wants to unwind its position in both. From my perspective, if .gov allows the GSEs to cut the 10% divvy on the warrants, the GSEs can begin paying down their debt. Eventually, I expect the Fannie and Freddie to get broken up into smaller entities that effectively perform the same function as they do now but would be more manageable if the world goes pare-shapped again. However, given the lack of leadership displayed in 2008, .gov could do something unexpected and wipe us all out unaware as they do so they’re doing their level best to send us into another recession.

Tan will be happy to know that I sold a bit of FMCC this morning and rolled it into his fav divvy stock, CIM.

This concludes today’s Talking My Book?

[ Edited: 04 February 2011 11:34 AM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 04 February 2011 11:35 AM #173

Eric Landstrom - 04 February 2011 03:20 PM

only the mountain and upper midwest states know how to conduct business while it is snowing. Bah.

I certainly feel that way.  Watching southern drivers on video is a nice winter pasttime.

Add in Alaska and Hawaii to be more complete.

Posted: 04 February 2011 12:22 PM #174

AAPL now $345.12 up 0.50% with volume 5.9 million shares traded.

Shumway’s Largest Holdings Could Be Volatile as Fund to Shutter Doors (AAPL,
    LVS, C, PCLN, BIDU, LYV, more)

Below is a list of Shumway Capital Partners top ten holdings. With the fund
    announcing that it will return $8 billion in cash by the end of March, these
    stocks could be volatile as the manager Chris Shumway is forced to liquidate
    positions.
    Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) - 1.8 million share stake
    Las Vegas Sands (NYSE: LVS) - 9.9 million shares, 1.45% of outstanding
    Citi (NYSE: C) - 100.6 million shares
    priceline.com (Nasdaq: PCLN) - 20.8 million shares, 2.11% of outstanding
    Pfizer (NYSE: PFE) - 20.8 million shares
    Baidu (Nasdaq: BIDU) - 3.34 million shares, 1.2% of outstanding
    SPDR Gold Trust (NYSE: GLD) - 2.07 million shares
    Illumina (Nasdaq: ILMN) - 2.27 million shares, 1.82% of outstanding
    Target (NYSE: TGT) - 2.5 million shares Union Pacific (NYSE: UNP) - 1.4 million
    sharesAdditionally, Shumway is one of the largest holders of Live Nation (NYSE:
    LYV); at the the quarter ending September 30, the fund was the 10th largest
    holder of the company, owning 4.6 million shares or about 2.67% of the
    outstanding stock.

News Provided by Acquire Media Corporation

• Posted: 04 February 2011 12:22 PM #175

ChasMac77 - 04 February 2011 02:11 PM

And Rimm is up 2% on an upgrade from MS - go figure….

Of course, they are, its asking their investment portfolio clients to get out of their RIMM position.

Posted: 04 February 2011 12:50 PM #176

BrazilNuts - 04 February 2011 04:22 PM

AAPL now $345.12 up 0.50% with volume 5.9 million shares traded.

Shumway’s Largest Holdings Could Be Volatile as Fund to Shutter Doors (AAPL,
    LVS, C, PCLN, BIDU, LYV, more)

Below is a list of Shumway Capital Partners top ten holdings. With the fund
    announcing that it will return $8 billion in cash by the end of March, these
    stocks could be volatile as the manager Chris Shumway is forced to liquidate
    positions.
    Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) - 1.8 million share stake
    Las Vegas Sands (NYSE: LVS) - 9.9 million shares, 1.45% of outstanding
    Citi (NYSE: C) - 100.6 million shares
    priceline.com (Nasdaq: PCLN) - 20.8 million shares, 2.11% of outstanding
    Pfizer (NYSE: PFE) - 20.8 million shares
    Baidu (Nasdaq: BIDU) - 3.34 million shares, 1.2% of outstanding
    SPDR Gold Trust (NYSE: GLD) - 2.07 million shares
    Illumina (Nasdaq: ILMN) - 2.27 million shares, 1.82% of outstanding
    Target (NYSE: TGT) - 2.5 million shares Union Pacific (NYSE: UNP) - 1.4 million
    sharesAdditionally, Shumway is one of the largest holders of Live Nation (NYSE:
    LYV); at the the quarter ending September 30, the fund was the 10th largest
    holder of the company, owning 4.6 million shares or about 2.67% of the
    outstanding stock.

News Provided by Acquire Media Corporation

Blood in the water! Watch the big houses try to screw Shumway every way possible. 1.8 million isn’t a massive stake for AAPL but liquidtion of positions on a mandated schedule is a tricky proposition under any circumstances….

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 04 February 2011 12:52 PM #177

Good Morning Boys and Girls

aapl is up about 2 bucks this morning.  so far out stock is only up 2% higher then overall market year to date.  unless I am missing something we are officially in a bear p/e situation.

I think we will see ATH by middle of next week, but I have a hard time seeing p/e above 20 for the next three months.  WS will need to see solid numbers on the Verizon iPhone, the iPad momentum needs to be confirmed, and economy needs to show continued strength.

I see 335-360 trading range for the next two months.

Good Luck to all.

Posted: 04 February 2011 01:57 PM #178

thealct - 04 February 2011 02:18 PM

Bit disappointed by premarket AAPL action. Expected a significant bump over 345.60 (heavy resistance) with VZ and Apple running out of phones. Maybe options are holding back the appreciation here.

Thealct, I am not expecting it to get to close to 348 until maybe later next week. I think the last thing WS wants is for the shorts to get squeezed and it run to 357 in a hurry. Patience, Rome wasn’t built in a day. LOL

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 04 February 2011 02:09 PM #179

mbeauch - 04 February 2011 05:57 PM
    thealct - 04 February 2011 02:18 PM

Thealct, I am not expecting it to get to close to 348 until maybe later next week. I think the last thing WS wants is for the shorts to get squeezed and it run to 357 in a hurry. Patience, Rome wasn’t built in a day. LOL

Wrong Swamp Boy! I would think that we get closer to $355 sooner rather than later. People now know what’s coming with the VZ phone. We’ll see the stampede 6 days from now.

Like the looks of Bali course, lots of tough par 4s. Just have to stay out of big numbers on those. Not so crazy about the links course but it does look nice. I just like a little more scenery and stuff to get into trouble with grin Thanks for checking. And yes, today has paid for the trip a couple of times over. :-D

Posted: 04 February 2011 02:24 PM #180

ChasMac77 - 04 February 2011 06:09 PM

Wrong Swamp Boy! I would think that we get closer to $355 sooner rather than later. People now know what’s coming with the VZ phone. We’ll see the stampede 6 days from now.

Like the looks of Bali course, lots of tough par 4s. Just have to stay out of big numbers on those. Not so crazy about the links course but it does look nice. I just like a little more scenery and stuff to get into trouble with grin Thanks for checking. And yes, today has paid for the trip a couple of times over. :-D

Swamp boy, I hope you didn’t hurt yourself trying to come up with that one. :-D

I do have a question, wouldn’t 6 days from now be the later next week I mentioned? :innocent:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.