AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 31 January 2011 09:44 PM #31

Here It Comes (As Predicted) [NFLX]

Netflix traded very close to its 52 wk. high today.  There may never have been a better entry point for a short.  If Market Ticker guy is right though, it is time to pull that trigger.

Posted: 31 January 2011 11:32 PM #32

JDSoCal - 31 January 2011 11:23 PM
    Red shirted ensign - 31 January 2011 10:41 PM

And check out their advertising campaign. Its 1984 all over again. As one person so ably put it, this is Game On.

http://www.9to5mac.com/49965/oh-dang-motorola-just-went-there-with-their-superbowl-ad

I’ve been wondering for some time if Apple is planning a Super Bowl ad. Hard to believe iPad 2 won’t match or exceed all those specs. I’m hoping Apple doesn’t dick around until April and let all the bottom feeders get a head start.

iPad 1.0 was announced on 1/27/10…

As someone mentioned on another thread, I would love to see an add similar to the Ipad for enterprise video:
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/profiles/ge/

Most viewers wouldn’t understand it, but it would be worth it for the people who did—the next beachhead in the assault on MFST.  The last one was pretty good:  I’m a MAC- I’m a PC.

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.

Posted: 01 February 2011 12:08 AM #33

Good news: 

AAPL’s hovering around 340 (well, it should be at least 10-20 pts. higher were it not for SJ’s leave of absence, but we’re also still waiting for VeriPhone Thursday, so I guess I’m not surprised).

2 mil Galaxy Tabs were “sold” but aren’t actually selling.  Hooray from shady sales math!

Bad news: 

Sandy Bridge delayed.  I hope this inspires Apple to renew, or at least revisit, its previous commitment to custom chipset making (back when it really had no choice) instead of entirely relying on Intel for its various chipsets.  Not sure this will have an extreme effect on MBP/MacBook sales, but I _do_ know I was supposed to be getting an MBP sometime soon and this is almost certain to add several weeks to the wait.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 01 February 2011 01:04 AM #34

Mace - 31 January 2011 10:17 PM

Refer to this chart on what happen after AAPL split.

Causality?

• Posted: 01 February 2011 01:48 AM #35

Tuesday

R4       355.11
      midpoint   352.24
    R3       349.37
      midpoint   346.50
    R2       343.63
      midpoint   342.55
    R1       341.47
      midpoint   339.68
    PP       337.89
      midpoint   336.81
    S1       335.73
      midpoint   333.94
    S2       332.15
      midpoint   329.28
    S3       326.41
      midpoint   323.54
    S4       320.67

Posted: 01 February 2011 04:03 AM #36

Unique - 01 February 2011 04:41 AM
    Mav - 01 February 2011 04:08 AM

Good news: 

AAPL’s hovering around 340 (well, it should be at least 10-20 pts. higher were it not for SJ’s leave of absence, but we’re also still waiting for VeriPhone Thursday, so I guess I’m not surprised).

2 mil Galaxy Tabs were “sold” but aren’t actually selling.  Hooray from shady sales math!

Bad news: 

Sandy Bridge delayed.  I hope this inspires Apple to renew, or at least revisit, its previous commitment to custom chipset making (back when it really had no choice) instead of entirely relying on Intel for its various chipsets.  Not sure this will have an extreme effect on MBP/MacBook sales, but I _do_ know I was supposed to be getting an MBP sometime soon and this is almost certain to add several weeks to the wait.

What custom chipset making? Intel is by far the most advanced and reliable in the industry at the moment.

Apple does, kinda sorta, still make its own chipsets (Apple does make the most stunning mobos in the industry, IMHO).  It’s a habit driven by necessity back when it was Apple vs. the world. 

I’m not saying one little misstep by Intel means Apple runs off to AMD or back to PowerPC or anything.  It’s just that Apple tries to own or control as much of the widget as possible, and if the MBPs are substantially delayed (which will hurt/delay sales), that’s something to think about for the future.  Granted, most vendors will be hurt to the same degree as Apple, so not much that much is lost on the competitive front.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 01 February 2011 04:24 AM #37

adamthompson3232 - 01 February 2011 07:06 AM

On a different note:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/technology/01apple.html?_r=1&partner=yahoofinance

It was a very bad movement in my opinion. However, (maybe) most customers won’t mind. But all the contents providers would hesitate.

• Posted: 01 February 2011 08:58 AM #38

NEW YORK (TheStreet)—Now that the Verizon(VZ_) Apple(AAPL_)  iPhone 4 is a reality, tech watchers are expecting droves of consumers to shed their existing phones in favor of the long-awaited device.

About 29% of current Verizon feature-phone users say they will likely upgrade to the iPhone in the next there months, while 25% of Verizon smartphone owners say the same, according to a survey from analyst firm R.W. Baird.

Found some more on this

Here

http://www.toptechreviews.net/tech-news/verizon-predicted-to-sell-25-million-iphones/

R.W. Baird and Co. surveyed 1,000 Verizon customers and of those, 11 percent said they will definitely purchase a Verizon iPhone in the next 90 days and another 18 percent said they would probably buy the phone. If you take into consideration the amount of subscribers that Verizon has, that means there could be at least 19 million activations, predicts Baird analyst William Power.

and

Also, 25 percent more of Verizon smartphone customers said they would definitely or probably purchase an iPhone, which adds on 4.8 million more subscribers, which comes to a total of about 25 million customers. That?s more than their earlier guess at about 10 million activations; with two million of that coming from AT&T.

Just like several other analysts, a majority of those customers will be ones that Verizon already has. However, it still isn?t certain about the interest in the iPhone from any AT&T customers as they have remained relatively silent.

Nearly 5.6 percent of existing AT&T iPhone users is planning to get the Verizon version of the iPhone, which comes to 1.1 million customers. Nearly three percent of existing AT&T feature phone users, or about 700,000 customers, plan to switch over to Verizon.

Nearly two percent of current Sprint customers too plan to switch over to Verizon so they can get the iPhone, and six percent of T-Mobile users plan to do it as well.

Wonder if they did a good job of selecting a good sample.  If they did, the margin of error should be about = or - less than 3% with that size sample.

[ Edited: 01 February 2011 09:08 AM by roni ]      
  • Posted: 01 February 2011 09:23 AM #39

A bit more information from the rest of the same article

Forty-three percent of the people responding said if they couldn?t get the Verizon iPhone they would have likely bought an Android phone, and a 19 percent said they would have bought a BlackBerry device, with another 19 percent saying they would have kept the phone they had.

The survey was done Jan. 13; only two days after Verizon reported that it would carry its own version of the iPhone. About 40 percent of the people surveyed already have an iPhone. If you take into consideration that the sample of people surveyed are mostly business people, Baird agreed that the results of the survey overstates the example of current smartphone users greatly. The average ages of the survey takers were 43 and 59 percent of those taking the survey were men.

Baird said that people were also considering buying a tablet, and about 20 percent planned to buy one in the next 90 days. Seventy-five percent of the people surveyed want to buy an iPad.

Posted: 01 February 2011 10:11 AM #40

Eurozone January manufacturing PMI rises to 57.3 from 57.1 in December, showing manufacturing activity accelerated at its fastest pace in nine months. Meanwhile, data showed that unemployment rate was steady at 10% in December with expectations on a rise to 10.1%. European markets are rallying.

In Asia, stock markets were mostly higher. China?s twin measures of the nation?s manufacturing sector painted divergent pictures Tuesday, with the official index showing slowing growth and rising prices, and a privately compiled version indicating the opposite. Still, both readings agreed that inflation remained a problem. China?s official PMI, published by the National Bureau of Statistics and the China Federation of Logistics and Purchasing, fell to 52.9 in January from 53.9 in December. But a competing PMI put out by HSBC Holdings PLC showed a modest rise to 54.5 from 54.4 in December, suggesting that further policy tightening from Beijing remains in the cards.

Today a massive protest to demand President Hosni Mubarak?s resignation is on the making, ?march of millions?. The military in charge of security have set rules of engagement, and a spokesman announced on state television yesterday at night “Your armed forces will not use violence against this great people, who have always played a significant role in every moment of Egypt’s great history.” Nevertheless, communications are being shut down by government including internet and mobile communications. The live riot scenes transmitted by international news broadcasting companies have disappeared and live streaming source is now exclusively from the Egyptian State TV.

Yesterday the SPX stopped short of its 10-day moving average while the NASDAQ underperformed. Breadth was decisively positive while volume contracted. Advancers led decliners by a little over 2 to 1 on the NYSE and by a 15 to 11 ration on the NASDAQ. 60% of the volume was up on the NASDAQ while two-thirds of the volume was on the upside on the NYSE.

Futures are edging higher this morning focusing on economic data and earnings and it is the first of the month. Let?s take a look at Futures.

USDX at 77.555 down -0.40%. Euro at $1.3736 up 0.35%.

miniDJI at 11,887.00 gaining 40 points up 0.40%

S&P 500 at 1289.8 up 0.458%.

NASDAQ 100 at 2295 up 0.66%

AAPL at $340.8 up 0.44%.

Let?s watch the Bell and how the session evolves.

• Posted: 01 February 2011 10:34 AM #41

Gap up open. Good sign.

• Posted: 01 February 2011 10:40 AM #42

Mav - 01 February 2011 08:03 AM
    Unique - 01 February 2011 04:41 AM
    Mav - 01 February 2011 04:08 AM

Good news: 

Bad news: 

I think you misread the issue, it is a chip for desktop mobos and not laptop mobos because they do use a different chip according to an article I read. I will post it here once I find it again.

Apple does, kinda sorta, still make its own chipsets (Apple does make the most stunning mobos in the industry, IMHO).  It’s a habit driven by necessity back when it was Apple vs. the world. 

I’m not saying one little misstep by Intel means Apple runs off to AMD or back to PowerPC or anything.  It’s just that Apple tries to own or control as much of the widget as possible, and if the MBPs are substantially delayed (which will hurt/delay sales), that’s something to think about for the future.  Granted, most vendors will be hurt to the same degree as Apple, so not much that much is lost on the competitive front.

[ Edited: 01 February 2011 10:48 AM by Steveafb ]      
  • Posted: 01 February 2011 11:09 AM #43

I hear the wedding song ahead of the coming Apple/Verizon nuptials.  First up are the pre-orders that existing VZ customers can make this Thursday and everyone else a week later.

Posted: 01 February 2011 11:41 AM #44

Good Morning Boys and Girls

As much as i like this morning’s action I am not impressed.  We are moving with the market and slightly below at times.  Lets see how we look on Friday.  If we move strongly next Monday as rumors start regarding sales of Verizon iPhone then we can see 350+ by the following Friday Feb 11.  Then I can see us start to sell off for that traditional February correction.  I just want us to be up as close to 360 as much as possible by then so the correction does not bring us below 330.

I am frozen again and we need to wait two weeks before I can buy more.  It may be good timing by then :wink:

Good Luck to all

• Posted: 01 February 2011 11:45 AM #45

ARM is up over $32 today, mostly on their ties to Apple. $548/share is impressive, and puzzling. Has Intel done a lot of stock splits? They are currently at $21/share.