Potential Steve Jobs Impact

Posted: 10 February 2011 10:45 AM #31

To add fuel to the fire, I was probably more surprised by the responses than the original post.  nobbish could have used “passing” or “permanently leaving” which he/she gracefully admitted in a follow up post.  But the responses IMHO didn’t do much to foster an environment of open discussion about all things AAPL.  Isn’t that what AFB is about?  Or should we start blacklisting posts we don’t like just like AFB already blacklists links to sites it doesn’t like?  Apologies for criticizing the criticism.  Nobbish, kudos for your post and follow up.

Back on topic…

AAPL will surely have some surprise ups and downs.  What you need to ask yourself is do you believe there will be more ups or downs?

Off the top of my head there are still a few exciting things on the AAPL horizon like AppleTV gaming, new cloud services, iPad 2, iPhone 5 (World phone?).  Not to mention revenue from already released products.  I also see more and more Macs showing up at my office.  When those things are announced, will the market respond appropriately regardless of who is CEO?

Posted: 10 February 2011 02:17 PM #32

ChasMac77 - 10 February 2011 01:33 PM
    Mav - 10 February 2011 06:02 AM

My first thought is that AAPL will always be “haunted” by eternal clouds about SJ’s health until he leaves the company for whatever reason, and I don’t see much reversal upon a SJ return unless he puts on about 25 pounds and wears “muscle turtlenecks” or something.  But the health issue isn’t the primary reason for AAPL always seeming to trade undervalued relative to other tech stocks.

EDIT:  Nice to hear that SJ is in good spirits, if the source is to be believed.

Y’know, AAPL seems to be back on track now using the ol’ sentiment-o-meter (P/E of just about 20).  Where we are a little while before April earnings will offer a slight glimpse as to whether AAPL has been actually been “devalued” by SJ’s leave of absence.

Mav, what’s your high P/E number? 23ish? If so, that gets you to $400+, no?

My high P/E is 22.5, which gets to a little over 400 for this quarter.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 10 February 2011 02:49 PM #33

Daily Gala - 10 February 2011 02:45 PM

To add fuel to the fire, I was probably more surprised by the responses than the original post.  nobbish could have used “passing” or “permanently leaving” which he/she gracefully admitted in a follow up post.  But the responses IMHO didn’t do much to foster an environment of open discussion about all things AAPL.  Isn’t that what AFB is about?  Or should we start blacklisting posts we don’t like just like AFB already blacklists links to sites it doesn’t like?  Apologies for criticizing the criticism.  Nobbish, kudos for your post and follow up.

Back on topic…

AAPL will surely have some surprise ups and downs.  What you need to ask yourself is do you believe there will be more ups or downs?

Off the top of my head there are still a few exciting things on the AAPL horizon like AppleTV gaming, new cloud services, iPad 2, iPhone 5 (World phone?).  Not to mention revenue from already released products.  I also see more and more Macs showing up at my office.  When those things are announced, will the market respond appropriately regardless of who is CEO?

I agree. This forum hasn’t handled this issue like dispassionate, objective analysts. If we want to be accurate for the sake of our own portfolios, and wish AFB to be taken seriously by others, we have to be grown-ups and deal with it. It is ludicrous to suggest that questions about the health of the greatest CEO on the planet is inappropriate to discuss on a board dedicated to Apple’s stock price. Basically, all the investors out there can take it into consideration, but we enlightened AFB’ers, who know so much more than the unwashed masses do, are going to dance around it? Silliness.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007