the story behind 1984

Posted: 01 February 2011 02:10 PM

In case you didn’t catch it - HERE

Posted: 01 February 2011 05:31 PM #1

The Mistry Woman from 1984.

Anya Major was a discus thrower. Director Ridley Scott (yes, of Alien fame) had tried other women for the role, but after several sledgehammers flew out of control (one nearly killing an old lady walking down a path in Hyde Park), casting finally found a “professional,” a discus-throwing athlete named Anya Major. Anya Major proved capable of spinning and accurately throwing the sledgehammer with ease.

A fantastic way to introduce the Mac.

:apple:

• Posted: 01 February 2011 06:07 PM #2

There were many interesting tidbits in the story of how the 1984 commercial came to light. But I clipped this paragraph for future reference:

One of the many agency heads I?ve worked with over the years said, ?When it?s great, there?s no debate.? I can?t imagine a more fatuous, false statement. There was plenty of debate around ?1984.? It very nearly didn?t run.

Not only aren’t great ideas obvious or undebatable, I would argue that great ideas are great precisely because they are unintuitive, contrary to common sense, ever so slightly outside the realm of our understanding.

Posted: 04 February 2011 12:34 AM #3

FalKirk - 01 February 2011 10:07 PM

Not only aren’t great ideas obvious or undebatable, I would argue that great ideas are great precisely because they are unintuitive, contrary to common sense, ever so slightly outside the realm of our understanding.

Totally agree.