VZ iPhone Launch

Posted: 02 February 2011 06:11 PM

This event sure deserves it’s own thread - 10 hours to preorder launch. There are 90M+ customers that have been locked out from having iPhones for 3+ years - now the wait is over. Will the VZ website be able to handle the preorder demand? Will they have enough supplies for preorder to keep it open all week or will they shut it down in a day or two? How long with the lines be leading up to Feb 10th?

I believe that what we are going to witness over the next few days (particularly Feb 10-13) will be unprecedented even for Apple. When iPhone 4 launched in July, the wait times for in store purchase on day 1 was in excess of 10 hours at many locations. I had preordered mine and just the line to pick up preorders was in excess of 3-4 hours at most locations. And this is after the phone had been on the carrier for 3 years - imagine what can happen when you unleash that on 90M customers (and that’s just VZ customers, let’s not even talk about Sprint/T-Mobile). :drool:

• Posted: 02 February 2011 06:18 PM #1

I think the 3AM thing was brilliant. Gives their back office servers a fighting chance to not crumble. Besides, it’s only midnight on the west coast, right? (I thought I saw an Arizona article that said 1AM local time)

[ Edited: 02 February 2011 06:23 PM by snoozzzer ]      
  • Posted: 02 February 2011 06:19 PM #2

When do Verizon iPhone pre-orders start at Apple’s online store?

I am excited about the launch of the Verizon iPhone. 

Don’t forget international CDMA providers and their customers

I do not know what the net gain in iPhone sales will be in February and March, but I think it is another situation where that amount will be determined by supply rather than by demand, because demand should certainly outstrip supply

Posted: 02 February 2011 06:36 PM #3

roni - 02 February 2011 10:19 PM

When do Verizon iPhone pre-orders start at Apple’s online store?

I believe Feb 9th.

• Posted: 02 February 2011 06:49 PM #4

The goal is to crash verizon’s servers. If they don’t crash, demand isn’t high enough and that’s disappointing, right?

On a more serious side, do we expect announcements regarding pre-order volumes? When?

Posted: 02 February 2011 07:17 PM #5

cranium - 02 February 2011 10:49 PM

The goal is to crash verizon’s servers. If they don’t crash, demand isn’t high enough and that’s disappointing, right?

On a more serious side, do we expect announcements regarding pre-order volumes? When?

They have never shared information about pre-order volumes - the numbers they have shared in the past are how many were sold in the launch weekend or how many were sold on launch day - and the numbers are not specific - more like “over 1 million”. While I won’t be surprised to hear some numbers the night/morning of Feb 10/11, I suspect they’ll wait till night/morning of Feb 13/14th to announce anything.

Posted: 02 February 2011 09:24 PM #6

Read that BBY was going to sell the VZphone as well. Will see if I can get any info tomorrow about demand from my contact that sells to enterprise in Illinois.

• Posted: 02 February 2011 10:23 PM #7

Mossberg’s review if the Verizon iPhone

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20110202/verizon-apple-iphone4-review/

• Posted: 02 February 2011 10:27 PM #8

David Pogue’s review

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/technology/personaltech/03pogue.html?partner=yahoofinance

• Posted: 02 February 2011 10:34 PM #9

Are you a VZ employee and want your own iPhone 4?  Too bad for YOU!

• Posted: 02 February 2011 10:50 PM #10

roni - 03 February 2011 02:27 AM

David Pogue’s review

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/technology/personaltech/03pogue.html?partner=yahoofinance

I just read Pogue’s review. Before I comment, let me say this. So far as I know, I’ve never had a dropped call on my iPhone. No, really, I haven’t. That may explain why I like it so much. Or maybe there are a lot of people like me but you only hear from the complainers. Can’t say. Okay, having said that…

...Pogue’s review is devastating to AT&T. About 90% of it is about how the only difference between the AT&T phone and the Verizon phone is that you can get calls on the Verizon phone. Ouch! At the end I think Pogue does a nice job of covering the disadvantages of CDMA and Verizon’s shoddy customer service practices. But the upshot of the review definitely is, get a Verizon iPhone if you want to make calls. Brutal.

And the weird thing is, Apple comes out of this smelling like a rose.

• Posted: 02 February 2011 10:55 PM #11

FalKirk - 03 February 2011 02:50 AM

Possibly because there is no one else on - but all the reviews are saying that the new carrier is an awesome improvement.

Signature

• Posted: 02 February 2011 11:03 PM #12

rattyuk - 03 February 2011 02:55 AM
    FalKirk - 03 February 2011 02:50 AM

Possibly because there is no one else on - but all the reviews are saying that the new carrier is an awesome improvement.

I live in urban Oregon.  I will never go back to Verizon, never ever
    But I hope lots of other people do smile

• Posted: 02 February 2011 11:04 PM #13

roni - 03 February 2011 02:23 AM

Mossberg’s review was much like Pogue’s only a little kinder to AT&T. The bottom line was the same. Get a Verizon phone if you want to make calls.

Man, this is brutal coverage for AT&T. They must be cringing over there.

But so far as Apple investors are concerned, both the Pogue and the Mossberg reviews will definitely encourage switchers - which is all good for Apple.

Posted: 03 February 2011 12:15 AM #14

FalKirk - 03 February 2011 03:04 AM
    roni - 03 February 2011 02:23 AM

Mossberg’s review was much like Pogue’s only a little kinder to AT&T. The bottom line was the same. Get a Verizon phone if you want to make calls.

But so far as Apple investors are concerned, both the Pogue and the Mossberg reviews will definitely encourage switchers - which is all good for Apple.

Two reviews does not make a relevant study of dropped calls.  I have spoken on many occasions with Verizon friends from land lines and have gotten dropped calls.  Verizon is not perfect like Pogue would lead us to believe.

I don’t think ATT is as bad as everyone says and time will prove that when there won’t be as many switchers as everyone things there will be.

I don’t think the Verizon iPhone will be as big as the original launch or demand for 3Gs two years ago when one had to wait 6 weeks to get one.  The pent up demand will show itself in iPhone 5 comes out, but Verizon will have a steady stream of iPhone sales between now and then.

• Posted: 03 February 2011 12:33 AM #15

omacvi - 03 February 2011 04:15 AM
    FalKirk - 03 February 2011 03:04 AM

Two reviews does not make a relevant study of dropped calls.

We’re not talking about a credible study, we’re talking about public perception. Two of the biggest tech reviewers in the world just dissed AT&T and gave a huge thumbs up to Verizon. Most switchers probably made up their minds long ago, but if they had any lingering doubts about Verizon, those reviews just removed them.