Nokia to Android?

• Posted: 08 February 2011 10:46 AM

Or Windows? There seems to be a lot of rumors floating around that this is seriously being considered.

Personally, I see this as bad news for AAPL. I love having Nokia (and RIMM) out there with their own dying platforms that can be slowly picked off over time. They have no developer support and hence no future. If Nokia was to abandon Symbian and go to Android, you’ve instantly got tens of millions of additional Droid phones flooding the Market. This would attract major developer attention and hence is not good for AAPL.

So am I over-reacting here?

• Posted: 08 February 2011 10:54 AM #1

JRay - 08 February 2011 02:46 PM

So am I over-reacting here?

Yup.

Signature

• Posted: 08 February 2011 10:55 AM #2

Sorry that was a bit terse. It will probably be Windows Phone 7. There is no way for Nokia to differentiate itself with Android. It would be a battle lost.

Signature

• Posted: 08 February 2011 11:05 AM #3

Stephen Elop tweeted last week:
    “The industry changed. It?s time for #nokia to change faster.”

Signature

• Posted: 08 February 2011 11:14 AM #4

rattyuk - 08 February 2011 02:55 PM

Sorry that was a bit terse. It will probably be Windows Phone 7. There is no way for Nokia to differentiate itself with Android. It would be a battle lost.

Well both Nokia and Rimm can “differentiate” themselves now and how is that working out for them? Plummeting market share, while the “undifferentiated” hordes are growing like wild fire.

I agree Windows woud be no big deal. Just swapping one unsupported platform for another.

But moving to Android would be significant, in a bad way…..

• Posted: 08 February 2011 11:26 AM #5

Ratty,

I know that Android provides little or no room for differentiation, but is the same not true for Windows Phone 7?  For better or worse, the only players that have the capability to differentiate are those with their own OS. Agreed?

• Posted: 08 February 2011 11:50 AM #6

Lstream - 08 February 2011 03:26 PM

Ratty,
    I know that Android provides little or no room for differentiation, but is the same not true for Windows Phone 7?  For better or worse, the only players that have the capability to differentiate are those with their own OS. Agreed?

My thoughts are that someone should try and make a run with Windows Phone 7. It is good for the industry in the long run. And as an Apple shareholder I think it would be good if there was something that the Apple haters could buy that was’t Android.

The problem at the moment is that Microsoft have lived up to their reputation and those promises of updates etc appear to have come to naught. By the same timeframe - four months into the product cycle - Apple had released 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1 and 1.1.1 - Microsoft have done NOTHING.

With a serious player on board such as Nokia they could make a proper go of it.

BUT having said that I think that on Friday Mr Elop (ex-Microsoft) will announce a strategic partnership with Microsoft, a bit like the BBC technology people being run by all ex MS people. The problem is that they won’t go all in. I think it will be a Nokia WP7 phone.

I could be wrong though and we might see the complete Microsoftisation of Nokia… Going to be interesting I think.

Signature

Posted: 08 February 2011 12:47 PM #8

Sorry this is off-topic, but I didn’t know where else to put it. It does mention both Nokia & Android. iOS is falling behind and for once “they” don’t even mention it.

McAfee: Malware going mobile

• Posted: 08 February 2011 01:10 PM #9

Heh. I had this crazy thought…  What if they got a license for iOS?

I know how unlikely that is, but nobody - NOBODY - would expect it, and it would be a way for Apple to leverage Nokia’s production and distribution network.

No, it’s not a serious suggestion.

• Posted: 08 February 2011 01:45 PM #10

dduck - 08 February 2011 05:10 PM

Heh. I had this crazy thought…  What if they got a license for iOS?

I know how unlikely that is, but nobody - NOBODY - would expect it, and it would be a way for Apple to leverage Nokia’s production and distribution network.

No, it’s not a serious suggestion.

Apple would NEVER go for that.  They want (for good reason) to control the whole user experience.

Posted: 08 February 2011 02:05 PM #11

Even more fundamentally, the manufacturing capacity of iPhones is not so well known.  I presume that a licensed iOS Nokia phone would have to use some of the same suppliers.

• Posted: 08 February 2011 02:09 PM #12

There’s outside the box, and then there is off the truck on the side of the road :wink:

• Posted: 08 February 2011 03:29 PM #13

rattyuk - 08 February 2011 03:05 PM

Stephen Elop tweeted last week:
    “The industry changed. It?s time for #nokia to change faster.”

How can a move by Nokia to adopt either Android or Windows Phone 7 as their operating system, be construed, in any way, shape or form, as Nokia moving “faster” than the industry? It’s more akin to Nokia surrendering to the industry.

Posted: 08 February 2011 03:51 PM #14

Whether it’s Android or WP7, there’s not much room for differentiation for Nokia. Given that, it would be smarter for them to go with Android - at least it’s working for other phone manufacturers - the numbers are off the charts for HTC, Samsung, etc. (albeit from very low levels the year before). With WP7, there’s a huge gamble - and from what I’ve heard/read so far, the platform is not that good.

Having said that, I expect that they will go with WP7 - once you’ve drunk the MSFT cool-aid, it runs in your blood for a loooong time. Plus, they would get better terms from MSFT than GOOG since MSFT is more desperate.

• Posted: 08 February 2011 03:58 PM #15

danthemason - 08 February 2011 06:09 PM

There’s outside the box, and then there is off the truck on the side of the road :wink:

If it happens I’ll look like a genius. Also, I’ll be more surprised than anyone else. Like I said, crazy thought, and I don’t believe that could ever happen.