Installed base of smart phones

• Posted: 08 February 2011 01:28 PM

In the era before smart phones when I replaced a cell phone, the old one went into a drawer, there to sit and rattle around until finally trashed.

In the current era, ASP (after smart phone), I pass my old iPhone around.  My eldest son has one of my old phones and a grandson has another.  Furthermore among other members of my family and friends, all old iPhones seem to live on in someone else?s hands.  I suspect that this is pretty generally true.

The installed base of iPhones must be a large proportion of the total sales.

I wonder what happens to old Android, Rimm and Nokia phones.  Do they get passed on or are they trashed?  I wonder how the installed base for these as a percentage of sales compares to that of the iPhone.

[Title corrected by DT]

[ Edited: 09 February 2011 05:24 PM by DawnTreader ]

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.

Posted: 08 February 2011 06:05 PM #1

Whereabouts of the three Edge only iPhones:
    a.  As an iPod for the HTIB;
    b.  As an iPod for the Lexus RX 350; and
    c.  Still in use tongue laugh.

Me :oops: using an iPhone 3G.  May upgrade to iPhone 5.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 08 February 2011 10:04 PM #2

It would be good info from ATT to tell us how many of each generation were still active.

• Posted: 09 February 2011 05:22 PM #3

And now e-Bay is offering $200 for turned in for select smart phones:

http://green.ebay.com/instantsale/iphone/

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.

• Posted: 10 February 2011 07:16 PM #4

Blackberries, if operational, get reused—there is a cottage industry of “lesser” carriers who will provide no-contract el-cheapo service to your old BB, such as MetroPCS, Cricket, Boost Mobile, and so on, and there are huge demographics who make use of that.  I would expect at LEAST that degree of iPhone reuse, if not more, with the iPhone being generally a better-designed device.

The oldest Droids, meanwhile, may still be under their initial contracts (or not far from) so there is likely not much info to be had about whether they were too thrashed from their time in service to reuse.