AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 13 February 2011 06:23 PM

Friday’s closing price of $356.85 is a good start. What should we expect in early Monday trading?

[ Edited: 19 February 2011 01:34 AM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 13 February 2011 06:30 PM #1

As nolavabo posted over at Traderhood:

Weekly closing prices for AAPL, last 4 weeks.
    $326.xx
    $336.xx
    $346.xx
    $356.xx
    If only we could find some kind of pattern to it all ?

Signature

Posted: 13 February 2011 06:50 PM #2

VeriPhone sentiment and “waiting for iPad 2” will rule the next few weeks.

Sentiment depends on sales reports.  We get numbers of a million plus, AAPL will go up.  We get some vague statement from Verizon that “it was the bestest launch ever”, that could cause downward pressure.  And “no news” wouldn’t be good news in the eyes of investors. 

Short answer:  No clue what happens tomorrow. LOL

More casual observers may overlook that VeriPhone sales are, IMHO, almost 100% incremental for this quarter.  Translation:  Since Apple sold 16.24 million iPhones in fiscal Q1 and it still can’t make enough, 18,000,000+ sold for fiscal Q2 looks like a downright reasonable, maybe even “lowball” estimate.

[ Edited: 13 February 2011 06:53 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 13 February 2011 07:43 PM #3

Mav - 13 February 2011 10:50 PM

VeriPhone sentiment and “waiting for iPad 2” will rule the next few weeks.

Sentiment depends on sales reports.  We get numbers of a million plus, AAPL will go up.  We get some vague statement from Verizon that “it was the bestest launch ever”, that could cause downward pressure.  And “no news” wouldn’t be good news in the eyes of investors. 

Short answer:  No clue what happens tomorrow. LOL

More casual observers may overlook that VeriPhone sales are, IMHO, almost 100% incremental for this quarter.  Translation:  Since Apple sold 16.24 million iPhones in fiscal Q1 and it still can’t make enough, 18,000,000+ sold for fiscal Q2 looks like a downright reasonable, maybe even “lowball” estimate.

Mav, you did not mention news on WSJ on the less-expensive/lower-cost mobile telephony product from Apple. Tomorrow seems to be soft on news and very little earnings and no economic releases. This will probably bring some (positive) attention to AAPL. Could this offset lack of news on Verizon iphone sales?

Posted: 13 February 2011 07:49 PM #4

Maybe, but to me, the iPhone nano is a unicorn.  It’s been mentioned so many times, long before the world’s first typing buffalo wing joined AFB.

Yes, the WSJ carries some credibility, but the early reports don’t make sense to me.  IMHO, the iPhone nano must be a first-class App Store citizen complete with Retina Display and an A4 or better, otherwise it’s not much more than a repackaged 3GS, which is a phone that Apple should let gracefully go to pasture in a few months.  The Palm Veer shows the extreme design challenges faced when miniaturizing smartphones (though granted, Palm isn’t top-tier in design and packaging).

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 13 February 2011 09:03 PM #5

Bloomberg futures are even.

Posted: 13 February 2011 10:14 PM #6

Have some messages and replies pending from Friday?s intraday.

Mav, had to sell 1 AAPL share for the sushi and sake and keep most of the proceeds to survive the week. The ongoing picketing for better pay and better benefits still not working. Hope you have a restful end of weekend and make up your mind on chasing or not strength. Believe the story on the new apple telephony device, code named unicorn, could help move (up) the stock.

Fast typing, Mav, not just typing as did my typing course with Typing Tutor on DOS on a PC XT machine. You should try it.

Welcome SuperApple and thank you for your kind first post, honored. Please keep sending your snags and comments in.

JDSoCal, thank you for commenting again on my posts. grin

bbbo, thank you for the good wishes. Hope AAPL continues recovering this week and both of us make something of it.

artman, we miss you.

Eric, how are you? Too busy plowing snow or now is only RE?

For whoever decided picking on me, just learned how to use the Ignore button; it is “ON” for redge.  Personal attacks are not welcome.

Posted: 13 February 2011 10:29 PM #7

I type decently enough, BrazilNuts.  But thanks for the suggestion.

The struggle for me is entry price and time value as far as “from here to April” goes.  I can’t really see myself losing with any Apr 11 calls I may decide to buy, because I think AAPL has at least 35 points to go from here.  But I’m always looking for a good price and an upward price trend so I can hop off the bus with my gains if I need to.  Right now the upward trend isn’t clear to me. 

My fear of “chasing strength” on trades has more to do with buying on up days and suffering through a series of down or sideways days while time decay makes me increasingly nervous and destroys my resolve.  I have pretty strong conviction that AAPL can easily do 385 and possibly 400+ by earnings, but my conviction means nothing against uncertainty and the constant downward forces on AAPL.  I think everything should work out in the end (that’s why I have Jan 12/13 positions), but shorter-term, higher risk.  I’ll make some moves with my “dry powder” stock this week.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 13 February 2011 10:43 PM #8

Mav, good reasoning. Let?s watch what lovebugs brings us tomorrow.

Posted: 14 February 2011 02:12 AM #9

The competition is also your ally.  That’s how it goes in today’s business world.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 14 February 2011 11:06 AM #10

Where is our posts from earlier today, including mine?

• Posted: 14 February 2011 11:09 AM #11

BrazilNuts - 14 February 2011 03:06 PM

Where is our posts from earlier today, including mine?

I noticed that…  Thought I was going crazy for a few moments. :-0

Posted: 14 February 2011 11:12 AM #12

Characteristically, an elected official, Senator Charles Schumer, has already accidentally screwed up the proposed merger of DB with NYX by saying too much and then, compounding the problem, the guy then states that he didn’t mean to say too much?thereby drawing everyones’ attention to what he said in the first place.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/14/us-nyse-deutscheboerse-schumer-idUSTRE71C1V420110214?feedType=RSS&feedName=innovationNews&rpc=43

The issue is that the NYSE cannot be owned by a foreign enterprise which means that the American management team must remain in place while on the German side, DB is a larger, more profitable enterprise and DB shareholders want to frame the proposed merger as a take over.

Disclosure: I own NYX.

[ Edited: 14 February 2011 11:15 AM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 14 February 2011 11:15 AM #13

There is a series of good, speculative entries at macrumors.com today regarding the integration of the (speculative) iPhone mini, the Apple cloud, and MobileMe; these articles may point to Apple’s major thrust for the rest of this year.

Posted: 14 February 2011 11:18 AM #14

If someone subscribing to the thread received my earlier post with reviews and outlook for today, kindly repost it. Do not have a backup and took a while to prepare it.

Posted: 14 February 2011 11:24 AM #15

Brace yourselves. Obama is going to talk to us about the proposed budget from a preschool classroom and tell us that his proposal will cut $1.1T of spending over the next ten years. Translated this means that the proposal merely outspends our national income by slightly more than $10T.

Sigh.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.