Favorite Podcasts

• Posted: 13 February 2011 11:42 PM

I thought I would list a couple of my favorite podcasts and ask you do do the same.

iPhone Live & iPad Live

I like these podcasters with their Canadian flavor, but I admit that the podcast is getting a little tired. More news and less analysis than I?d like.

MacBreak Weekly

Leo LaPorte has hopped on the Android bandwagon, so the show has gotten a bit annoying, but Andy Ihnatko and company still provide enough substance to keep me coming back.

Engadget

The humor is atroicious, the pace is outrageous and the laughter is contaigous. Deals with a lot of non-Apple stuff, but for an outsider?s perspective on Apple and a quick way to keep up with evertthing in the field, this is a very good choice.

The Mac Observer’s Apple Context Machine

I listened to this long, long before I knew the AFB existed. I love deep analysis and that?s what the ?context machine? brought to me, in spades. The worst thing I can say about this podcast is that it?s not recorded nearly often enough.

The Talk Show

John Gruber. Lots of extraneous stuff, and you have to be willing to put up with Gruber?s rough around the edges style, but more than enough deep analysis and insight to make it worth my while.

Hypercritical

John Siricusa. If you want in-depth analysis, this is the champ. A new podcast, only four weeks old, it?s already become my favorite.

Apple Quarterly Earnings Call and Apple Keynotes

A must.

The History of Rome

Hey, man does not live by Apple alone. One of the best tours of the ancient Romans you?ll ever get, all in 20 minute bite sized chunks. (Spoiler alert: It?s a great ride, but it doesn?t end well for the Romans.)

Posted: 14 February 2011 01:31 AM #1

Click and Clack put out the best podcast. This American Life used to be a favorite but has gotten a bit long in the tooth lately.

I can’t stand Leo Laporte any more…...............  the guy just loves to talk, talk, talk. 99% of what he says is just blah blah blah. That alone wouldn’t be too bad but to top it off he’s turned into a Droid Thug.

cheers to the longs
          JohnG

Posted: 14 February 2011 04:01 PM #2

Great list, FalKirk. I’ll have to check out Siricusa. If you don’t mind profanity and want to hear railing over all the anti-Apple FUD out there, Angry Mac Bastards can provide some entertainment.

• Posted: 14 February 2011 04:05 PM #3

NPR: Planet Money

Friday Night Comedy from BBC Radio 4 (for those who like British Political humor)

• Posted: 14 February 2011 07:05 PM #4

Drew Bear - 14 February 2011 08:01 PM

Great list, FalKirk. I’ll have to check out Siricusa. If you don’t mind profanity and want to hear railing over all the anti-Apple FUD out there, Angry Mac Bastards can provide some entertainment.

I can’t stand profanity of any kind, damn it! (I just subscribed to Angry Mac Bastards.)

You’ll love Siracusa. Some people say he’s like John Gruber, only politer. He takes one subject and goes into it in depth each week. The shows are not topical, which I kind of like, so you can go back to the first shows and get a lot of value out of them - they won’t be dated.

My only gripe is that they’re still feeling their way. They spend an inordinate amount of time following up on the previous weeks’ topic. Still a great show for deep thinkers and people like me who like to listen to deep thinkers.

Posted: 14 February 2011 07:15 PM #5

Agreed about Leo LaPorte. In fact, he seems to be moving to out and out performance art and dumping serious analysis (weird voices, schtick and taking bizarre positions against Apple).

I never miss WINDOWS WEEKLY with Paul Thurrott. Why? Its fun to hear Paul spout Microsoft BS. Lately, though he’s become frequently hostile towards MS (ex: hinting that the Windows Phone 7 UX (user interface) is temporary (along with its WinCE base) and that the Mobile-Desktop UX will reunite with Windows 8 using traditional Windows modified for touch, running ARM.)