When is a till, not a till?

• Posted: 15 February 2011 11:08 PM

So I actually went out and bought an AppleTV today. But that isn’t the point…

Picked one off the shelf in the Apple store and found someone who would take my money. Bin a little while since I have bought anything from the Apple store - a friend purchased my last Mac for me - don’t ask. So as I was paying cash I was sort of going to head to the Genius bar which is the only place in the 2.0 stores that take cash…

Except Apple have upgraded the purchase process in the stores since I last bought something with cash. The new versions of the hand held POS (Point of Sale) devices now scan the product and, after a few extra details are typed in, they take cash.

The 2.0 store which is closest to me has three tables running up the center and products on the benches on the right and left walls.

What has happened is that the final table - the one towards the back now has a hidden draw in it. When the transaction takes place and the Apple guy has your money the draw pops open and he can get change if required.

If this has been covered in the Apple Store experience thread then apologies for duplication… But honestly Apple really do seem to be trying to make the buying experience very very very different. Stealth tills. It all looks the same… but different.

BTW Apple TV definitely does the Netflix experience the best.

[ Edited: 16 February 2011 03:05 AM by John Molloy ]

Signature

Posted: 15 February 2011 11:15 PM #1

Yup, the “hidden cash register” (and underside table receipt printers) are a nice touch.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 16 February 2011 12:52 AM #2

The printers took me by surprise when I made a recent purchase.  Didn’t know about the hidden tills.

• Posted: 16 February 2011 01:35 AM #3

Don’t recall if this has ever been discussed but in the rest of my life POS means piece of s—.  Makes for some interesting alternate takes here.  :-o

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 16 February 2011 02:03 AM #4

BillH - 16 February 2011 05:35 AM

Don’t recall if this has ever been discussed but in the rest of my life POS means piece of s—.  Makes for some interesting alternate takes here.  :-o

Key difference between Steve Jobs and Steve Ballmer:

At Apple ‘POS’ means “Point of Sale”.  With Microsoft partners it means “Piece of Sh*t”.

I fully expect 2011 to be Ballmer’s last.

I had a rare opportunity to speak with the father of a senior MSFT exec today.  He related the disdain that MSFT employees, and senior staff, feel for Ballmer.  They are resigned to remain at MSFT because the compensation is so good, and a general feeling that their tenure at MSFT has damaged their value in the eyes of the industry.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 16 February 2011 03:05 AM #5

BillH - 16 February 2011 05:35 AM

Yup sorry I was typing fast. Thanks for Gregg’s details for filling in where I was speed typing. Have gone back and edited the original post for clarification.

Signature