Developer Sentiment

Posted: 21 February 2011 04:34 PM

In the past week, I’ve seen this on three private email lists frequented by developers who are generally quite favorable to Apple. Kinda like in Libya, there’s a growing sense that Apple is full of crap.
    —————
    Apple’s Three Laws of Developers:

1. A developer may not injure Apple or, through inaction, allow Apple to
    come to harm.

2. A developer must obey any orders given to it by Apple, except where such
    orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A developer must protect its own existence as long as such protection
    does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

- I. Developer

• Posted: 21 February 2011 04:39 PM #1

You are just before getting booted off these boards buddy.

Keep it up ... folks here aren’t going to stand for your brand of smart ass posting that is reserved for Yahoo.

Posted: 21 February 2011 04:41 PM #2

Asshole,

So you’re not only an offensively bad speller, you’re illiterate too. Let me spell out my point for you, because it’s really simple.

K-i-n-d-a   l-i-k-e   i-n   L-i-b-y-a,  t-h-e-r-e-?-s   a   g-r-o-w-i-n-g   s-e-n-s-e   t-h-a-t   A-p-p-l-e   i-s   f-u-l-l   o-f   c-r-a-p.

Posted: 21 February 2011 04:42 PM #3

1a. The customer’s data must not come to harm thru normal use of an app.
    1b. Developers’ apps are allowed and encouraged to be better than Apple’s own apps within the structure of iOS and XCode.
    2b. Orders may be appealed.

Posted: 21 February 2011 04:44 PM #4

I agree.  Banning is in order.

He only posts things to incite contention over any Apple issue.

He is in the wrong place.  Stop feeding the troll

• Posted: 21 February 2011 04:51 PM #5

Tetrachloride - 21 February 2011 08:42 PM

1a. The customer’s data must not come to harm thru normal use of an app.
    1b. Developers’ apps are allowed and encouraged to be better than Apple’s own apps within the structure of iOS and XCode
    2b. Orders may be appealed.

I wish 1b was true.  We have a video-centric app, and Apple refuses to let developers access the hardware codec.  This means that all video apps are doomed to perform worse than Apple’s.  I can think of no other reason why this policy would exist.  Very frustrating. 

On the other hand, I don’t agree with the original post that there is widespread developer discontent, as we likely represent a small corner of the developer universe.

Posted: 21 February 2011 04:53 PM #6

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 21 February 2011 08:34 PM

In the past week, I’ve seen this on three private email lists frequented by developers who are generally quite favorable to Apple. Kinda like in Libya, there’s a growing sense that Apple is full of crap.
    —————

come to harm.

- I. Developer

Fresh out of ideas?

Isaac Asimov’s “Three Laws of Robotics”

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 21 February 2011 04:58 PM #7

Eric Landstrom - 21 February 2011 08:53 PM

Fresh out of ideas? Isaac Asimov’s “Three Laws of Robotics”

Yeah, it was first published in his short story collection, I, Robot. SMH.

Posted: 21 February 2011 05:28 PM #8

Brad, we will be in Vegas May 14/15th, why don’t you join us. :-D

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 21 February 2011 05:37 PM #9

—————

come to harm.

- I. Developer

You whine more than a 3 year old.  OK we get it you don’t like how Apple treats developers , yourself included.

Fine, don’t develop anything for Apple ... simple. 

Why you have to come on these boards is beyond me.  Seems like a monumental waste of time on your part ...

• Posted: 21 February 2011 05:54 PM #10

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 21 February 2011 08:41 PM

Asshole,

So you’re not only an offensively bad speller, you’re illiterate too. Let me spell out my point for you, because it’s really simple.

K-i-n-d-a   l-i-k-e   i-n   L-i-b-y-a,  t-h-e-r-e-?-s   a   g-r-o-w-i-n-g   s-e-n-s-e   t-h-a-t   A-p-p-l-e   i-s   f-u-l-l   o-f   c-r-a-p.

Brad:

Your comments are welcome and your participation is encouraged but profanity is not allowed in the AFB.

Everyone:

Please stop the “Bozo” remarks. Bozo’s era is over. Let’s leave him to history.

Posted: 21 February 2011 05:58 PM #11

Are these “Apple’s Three Laws of Developers” a bad thing ?    I don’t think so.  See also, “appeals” and “android marketplace”.

The connotation of the thread makes it seem like Apple enjoys taking potshots at developers.  The app review crew may be overworked, so more have been hired.  The app review crew is not a bug fixer (That part I know personally) on a daily basis.  Some rejections are automatically generated, such as when an app is not “signed” correctly (for new developers, this can be nerve-wracking).

I like the idea of a developers thread, but its not on the top of my priorities for the AFB.

Posted: 21 February 2011 06:05 PM #12

@DT: I’m sorry. It seems to be a problem with Chrome’s spell checker when I type in Ms. Thompson’s given name. I’ll watch it more carefully.

• Posted: 21 February 2011 06:17 PM #13

Of all the things Apple has contributed to the world the App store may be the very best.  I have two nephews that would have never thought about writing software had it not been for the ability to easily post there work on the App store.  They’ve learned a ton and have even made a few bucks.  I’m guessing there may be thousands like them.  We’ll see where this all leads but I’m inclined to think that big things are coming as a direct result.  It’s actually a good topic as the tiny fraction of naysayers get all the air time while the vast majority just go about their business.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 21 February 2011 07:34 PM #14

—————

come to harm.

- I. Developer

I think those are good rules for “iDevelopers” to follow, Brad. Thanks for posting them.

BTW, why do you feel the cited humorous blog posting indicates developer dissatisfaction or disparagement of Apple?

Posted: 21 February 2011 10:00 PM #15

@deasys: I feel that way because I know the context of the postings to the private lists. There is also a lot of “so wait, on Android I can sell from my own website or other stores and from Marketplace, I get funds immediately”. Devs are looking around, that’s all.