Apple Updates MacBook Pro with Next Generation Processors, Graphics & Thunderbolt I/O Technology

Posted: 25 February 2011 01:13 PM #16

Tetrachloride - 25 February 2011 02:30 PM

Looking forward, CPU speed gets a big endorsement, http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2011/02/macbookpro-benchmarks-early-2011/

Geekbench says my 3.06 iMac from 2009-early 2010 era is 4179.

The new MacBook Pros range from 6796 to 10164 and those are great numbers.

http://gigaom.com/apple/macbook-pro-benchmarks-show-huge-performance-gains/  (faster link)

Geekbench 2, the latest version of Primate?s testing software, only measures processor and memory performance, and doesn?t take into account video card performance….

The new notebooks even outperform some current Mac Pros, according to Primate?s general Mac benchmarks. Definitely an impressive display of raw muscle from a portable computer.

Posted: 25 February 2011 02:25 PM #17

geoduck - 25 February 2011 04:09 PM

I like them. Not ready to update for another year or so but I like what I see.

I have to say though I was a bit disappointed in one thing. I thought the idea where the new ‘books would have a flash drive for boot and then a normal HD for the rest made a lot of sense. I would have really liked to see that.

Oh well, in a year or so when I’m in the market maybe it will come to pass.

But ThunderBolt is wicked awesome. I’m very impressed with that.

I wonder if that was pie-in-the-sky stuff designed to make investors sell on disappointment.  By any measure, these new MBPs are packin’ some serious heat.  You’ll get some great performance out of ‘em.  I kinda wish they’d have switched to 7200RPM HDs by now, but Apple’s priorities were elsewhere and I pretty much agree with the tradeoffs.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 26 February 2011 12:32 AM #18

These NEW MacBook Pros offer more than an evolutionary speed bump: They are in the fast lane on the autobahn.  See for yourself:

• Posted: 26 February 2011 12:35 AM #19

The graph is courtesy of Primate Labs.  Check it out here

There’s also a link on their site to compare the speed of your MBP with the new ones.  Be prepared to reach for your credit card.

Posted: 26 February 2011 12:48 AM #20

Mercel - 26 February 2011 04:35 AM

The graph is courtesy of Primate Labs.  Check it out here

There’s also a link on their site to compare the speed of your MBP with the new ones.  Be prepared to reach for your credit card.

I am saving my money for Vegas and the iPad 2.

They are sweet machines but not sweet enough to replace me 18 month MBP.

My next system will be a new iMac to replace my almost 4 year old one.

Enjoy your new toy.