Lion

Posted: 24 February 2011 12:13 PM

http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/

1. Full screen apps ?    Not particularly interested, especially on a 27” screen.
    2. Mission Control and Launchpad ?  no comment at this time.
    3. New UI for apps ?  I’m sure I’ll appreciate the nuances.  But features are slow to evolve.  Apple prefers to do its innovations at the OS level, not the UI.   
    4. Versions, Resume and AutoSave.  Now this is good.
    5. AirDrop.  Convenience is important in multi-Mac homes and offices.
    6. Lion Server.  Pandora’s Box ?  New Frontier ?  Mail Server ?  Someone speak up on this.  “Easy Setup”, “Wiki Server”, “Profile Manager”, “File Sharing for iPad”.  This deserves a thread by itself.
    7. Mail 5.  no comment at this time

Posted: 27 February 2011 03:46 PM #1

MacRumors

Rosetta (PowerPC) is out the window.  First classic and now this.

• Posted: 27 February 2011 04:07 PM #2

No. Telling the truth… (say it aloud).

Signature

Posted: 27 February 2011 04:09 PM #3

Tetrachloride - 27 February 2011 07:46 PM

MacRumors

Rosetta (PowerPC) is out the window.  First classic and now this.

6 years is an eternity in computer years. How long should Apple waste resources on this?

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 27 February 2011 04:28 PM #4

The reported (but unsurprising if true) lack of Rosetta support worries me a little bit, because I’m a Quicken user.  Ironically, it was bundled with my old iMac.

The next app I worried about was Stickies.  But…Did You Know??  Stickies is an Intel app, last updated in 2009!  Woohoo!

I’m not sure dropping Rosetta is a guaranteed thing.  People do have their beloved apps and games that will never find Universal Binary form.  Not like Apple cares about such sentimental things, of course.

[ Edited: 27 February 2011 04:31 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 27 February 2011 06:02 PM #5

Apple drop things. I think it is far better that they do than have to suffer the bloat in the same way that Microsoft customers have to…

Signature

• Posted: 28 February 2011 12:32 PM #6

The new Finder looks pretty darn sweet. Not sure about these Spotlight popups though.

Posted: 28 February 2011 11:44 PM #7

Am I the only one who thinks it’s odd that every photo was showing the OS on a Macbook Air, and only a Macbook Air?

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics

• Posted: 01 March 2011 10:09 AM #8

iJack - 01 March 2011 03:44 AM

Am I the only one who thinks it’s odd that every photo was showing the OS on a Macbook Air, and only a Macbook Air?

Nope, I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it. :)
    I have a feeling desktops are being marginalized by all manufacturers. Whither the content creators (other than writers)?

I have to say Lion looks like a big yawn to me so far. Launchpad? Feh. Why have the dock then? Resume and Autosave look cool, but just evolutionary. Full Screen apps are fine as long as switching apps is easy. It’ll also depend on third party integration. How do full screen apps work with multiple monitors? Now that widescreen monitors are so prevalent, I wonder if they are going to change the windowing conceit that new windows in apps always open on the left, which seems silly when looking at acres of screen real estate on a 27” iMac. Maybe full screen apps are their answer? Mission control mentions a “simple swipe” to do something; how am I swiping with a mouse? Are they including features that only work on a laptop or with a magic trackpad? Is that the big news; that they are trying to train us for the day they eliminate the mouse?

I hope Apple is planning on blowing up the OS for OS11. They are just making some little tweaks here and there for the past few iterations.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 01 March 2011 10:39 AM #9

I wonder how much “the cloud” and Apple’s new data center will impact how we feel about Lion.  On a separate but related thought does anyone else hope Apple has found a new term for “the cloud” now that the Microsoft ads make me gag every time I hear it.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 01 March 2011 11:01 AM #10

BillH - 01 March 2011 02:39 PM

I wonder how much “the cloud” and Apple’s new data center will impact how we feel about Lion.  On a separate but related thought does anyone else hope Apple has found a new term for “the cloud” now that the Microsoft ads make me gag every time I hear it.

Yes. It’s to be called Cumulus. It rains down services while shareholders accumulate wealth.  :wink:

Posted: 01 March 2011 11:45 AM #11

FlipFriddle - 01 March 2011 02:09 PM

I have to say Lion looks like a big yawn to me so far. Launchpad? Feh. Why have the dock then? Resume and Autosave look cool, but just evolutionary. Full Screen apps are fine as long as switching apps is easy. It’ll also depend on third party integration. How do full screen apps work with multiple monitors? Now that widescreen monitors are so prevalent, I wonder if they are going to change the windowing conceit that new windows in apps always open on the left, which seems silly when looking at acres of screen real estate on a 27” iMac. Maybe full screen apps are their answer? Mission control mentions a “simple swipe” to do something; how am I swiping with a mouse? Are they including features that only work on a laptop or with a magic trackpad? Is that the big news; that they are trying to train us for the day they eliminate the mouse?

For lite users, I agree on the yawn aspect.  Launchpad and MissionControl are nice to control the myriads of apps that one may have.  Pro users might use them, but they already know what to do with Spotlight and other launchers.

Pro users are going to be interested in Lion Server.  Maybe not for their own Mac, but for a central Mac in their organization.

For users like me with at least 1 Rosetta app, if I want to see Lion, I’ll get another Mac—after I get an iPad.

Posted: 01 March 2011 01:52 PM #12

With server included, this would include virtualization rights presumably. If so, then one could run Rosetta (PowerPC apps) in a Snow Leopard VM.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 02 March 2011 12:00 PM #13

Nice review with screenshots

http://www.tested.com/news/the-10-best-things-about-os-x-lion-107-developer-preview/1919/

The most surprising thing is the all-new “About This Mac”.    Excellent.

Versions & Auto-save are the features that consumers may like the most.

Matt Braga reports for Tested, ?Although Lion is still months from release, we?ve compiled a modest list of Apple?s ten most promising features ? some big, some small.?
    ? About This Mac Revamped
    ? Resize Windows From Any Corner
    ? Full-screen Apps
    ? Improved Crash Handling
    ? Mission Control
    ? Gestures
    ? Resume
    ? Versions
    ? Launchpad
    ? Airdrop

Posted: 23 March 2011 12:25 PM #14

An extensive movie of Lion in action.  Beware soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=_mL1k4Zwf1I

• Posted: 23 March 2011 12:30 PM #15

I like what I see so far in Lion and further develops multi-device integration. That’s key for bolstering the mutual halo effect among Apple products.