Help? Why (2) Different Lists?

• Posted: 26 February 2011 10:52 PM

Now I’m really curious! 
    In the System Profiler under Software ‘Applications’ it displays a couple thousand items.  Yet when I click the HDD itself, only hundred or so software applications get listed.  Why the disparity? 
    I would like to remove the extras if possible, but I really don’t know which line items actually belong to something else or are they just extras?

Posted: 28 February 2011 01:51 AM #1

Quite a few things are in the /System area, such as Perl or Voiceover.

• Posted: 28 February 2011 11:45 AM #2

Generally I would not recommend going and deleting any apps that come pre-installed. Even if you don’t think you need them, their absence can cause unexpected issues later, or cause trouble with system updates. That is, other software might depend on them to run properly.

• Posted: 01 March 2011 07:48 AM #3

Would anyone know of a program that could run in the background or as selected that can monitor downloads, updates and the like?  My goal, being only a user rather than a programmer is to keep a certain amount of HDD space open allowing the computer to operate nearly as fast as it did when I first got it. 
    It seems that during downloads and updates that I may have had problems over the past few years and actually installed some files more than once.  At least that appears to have been the case when opening up the software list in System Profiler.  I find that there are say 3 or 5 copies of the same thing scattered around the HDD.

Posted: 01 March 2011 10:03 PM #4

I will answer but not necessarily what 1park is asking.

Recently, I bought a new iMac.  Instead of using Migration Assistant to bring in every old app, I installed the apps and haxies that I primarily wanted.  I also manually brought over the iPhoto and iTunes libraries, Mail, Safari bookmarks and other stuff.  This method results in a cleaner Mac.

Another method is to get a program to locate duplicate files.  Here’s a search for “duplicate” at Macupdate:
    http://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/duplicate

• Posted: 05 March 2011 09:51 AM #5

Through another site I was told to run ‘Omnidisksweeper’; which I did.  As a user and not a shaker, most everything it listed is unfamiliar and some of the files are quite large.
    The largest ‘Backups’ lists several HomeFolder incremental backups dating back to 2007.  Would I cause any harm in removing any of the older backups?

Posted: 05 March 2011 10:53 AM #6

1parkpointer - 05 March 2011 01:51 PM

Through another site I was told to run ‘Omnidisksweeper’; which I did.  As a user and not a shaker, most everything it listed is unfamiliar and some of the files are quite large.
    The largest ‘Backups’ lists several HomeFolder incremental backups dating back to 2007.  Would I cause any harm in removing any of the older backups?

I don’t know the answer to removing Backups.  But let’s ask these:  1) are you a videographer or other content creator on your Mac ?  These jobs require a fair amount of empty disk space.  2) how much empty disk space do you have right now ?

• Posted: 05 March 2011 11:35 AM #7

The only thing I really do with the iMac aside from drawing, is a monthly newsletter of four to seven pages with graphics and digital pictures.
    As for space, there is 32.53GB of space remaining on a 500GB HDD.

• Posted: 05 March 2011 03:27 PM #8

Just completed a partial cleansing of the internal HDD.  Be very careful when using ‘Omnidisksweeper’, because once selections are made and you delete files, THEY’RE GONE FOR GOOD! 
    The best part of the process came in a big way when I rechecked the HDD to find lots of new space and a slightly faster computer.  Thanks to all who were a help with this problem! smile

Posted: 05 March 2011 04:49 PM #9

yep, 32 gb free could be seen as low.

congrats so far.    An external hard disk purchase for making a cloned backup of one’s hard disk would be a good thing if you can afford it.  1 TB drive would hold both a clone and a Time Machine Backup.