FindMyiPhone

Posted: 27 February 2011 07:18 PM

A couple of weeks I dropped my iPhone in some long grass behind our house. FindMyiPhone allowed me to very quickly locate it - it would have taken much longer to locate it. The disastrous earthquake in Christchurch got me thinking - especially as Wellington is more prone to these than Chch is) - how could this help in recovery of survivors/bodies. But, as you can see from the transcript below, it can’t.

I have two suggestions, which I have provided to Apple in feedback: Apple provide a (carefully handled) override for emergency services to locate iPhones; a registry be set up for emergency services to access with users, MobileMe ids and passwords on it. But it seems to me that an override would be a more efficient way to do it.

Monday, February 28, 2011 10:57 AM
    Duration: 13 minutes 19 seconds

Therron:
    Hi, my name is Therron. It’ll be just a moment while I review the comments you provided.

Therron:
    Hi there Laurie, how’re you today? I understand that you’ve recently learned that locating your iPhone with Find my Iphone requires that you know your MobileMe member name and password, is that right?

Laurie:
    Yes, and it works fine. But?

Laurie:
    In light of the earthquake in Christchurch last week, requiring the password would hamper locating a iPhone/iPad and its owner. Is there any way around that?

Therron:
    Not sure i understand the question.

Therron:
    Could you maybe rephrase that for me?

Laurie:
    People stuck under rubble with an iPhone are quite possibly unconscious. Using FindMyiPhone could help locate them.

Therron:
    I do apologize about that. Unfortunately without the Member Name / Password we’re unable to locate any Phone or iPad for a customer.

Laurie:
    But someone trying to locate them wouldn’t know the password, quite probably.

Therron:
    sCorrect.

Therron:
    Correct* sorry.

Laurie:
    Is there any way emergency services could be allowed an emergency override? It could save lives.

Therron:
    It cannot unfortunately.

Therron:
    If there was anything i could do, i would.

Laurie:
    Suggestion: Apple look into it.

Therron:
    But i cannot unfortunately.

Therron:
    I’m sorry about the circumstances and i hope you have a great rest of your day.

Laurie:
    I understand - all I am asking is that you pass it on for a future update.

Therron:
    Thanks, you can actually help us by leaving feedback on this at this link below:

Therron:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/mobileme.html

Laurie:
    OK ta. Kia ora, Laurie

Therron:
    Bye Laurie!

Therron:
    Good luck with everything.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 28 February 2011 01:44 AM #1

Its a tricky thing with lives in the balance with or without the above possibilities.

A local registry would be the way to go.  Highly localized and nobody outside NZ needs to know, probably even smaller regions. 

Another way:  all of the family members should know how to use FindMyiPhone for all of the other family members.

Posted: 02 March 2011 04:17 PM #2

Normally I’m loath to allow pimping of apps here, but this is apposite and all proceeds for the rest of the week are going to the appeal fund: http://igetthru.appspot.com/

As well as providing information as to what to do in an emergency (volcanic eruption, tsunami et al), it provides checklists of things that need to be done, supplies to have to hand and documents like passports that need to be put in the emergency kit.
    On top of that it uses the GPS to pinpoint last-known location, and meeting points.

I think Sergio Diaz has done a great job with this and deserves the primary Kiwi award: “On yer!”

Check this out as well: http://appappeal.co.nz

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 25 May 2011 08:41 PM #3

Great idea i think this will come in handy and i imagine new stations reporting on this device in the future hopefully bringing about more users especially in high disaster prone areas!

• Posted: 17 November 2011 07:59 AM #4

The Find my iPhone app works fine and can prove to be very useful. On the other hand, I think it is useless if factory defaults on the device are activated. Anyway, you can read a bunch of Find my iPhone stories here if you wish. Cheers!

• Posted: 09 April 2012 06:15 AM #5

wow great thanks for the info

• Posted: 09 April 2012 12:38 PM #6

A related thought—Find My Friends could prove useful in a disaster situation since it allows specific people to locate you. If someone were missing, one of their friends could potentially locate them if their phone is working. Not the perfect solution, but certainly better than nothing. If everyone had at least a few friends authorized to find them, it would greatly improve their changes of being found quickly.

• Posted: 12 October 2012 01:28 PM #7

Let’s not forget, it’s “Find my iPhone.”  Not, “Find someone else’s iPhone.”  Law enforcement, in conjunction with cellular carriers, have always been able to find a cell phone, in emergency circumstances, that is turned on.

Signature

15” MBPro, mid 2010, 2.66 GZ i7, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 7200 HDD
    13” MBAir, mid 2012, 2 GZ i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
    11” MBAir, mid 2011, 1.8 GZ i7, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD
    2 new iPads, 64 GB WiFi/LTE
    iPhones 4S, and 5, 64 GB

• Posted: 31 December 2012 04:48 AM #8

The applications works out very well for persons like me, who forgets and has a tendency to leave behind things . It becomes easier to find out .