Eat this…media-whores: Steve looks great!

• Posted: 02 March 2011 02:18 PM

This guy looks great!!!

Now shut the hole…and leave him alone.

Posted: 02 March 2011 03:27 PM #1

Agree entirely.

• Posted: 02 March 2011 03:31 PM #2

The lady on CNBC was up to her old tricks again trying to force John Fortt into saying steve was sick. Putting words into his mouth. John fortt held his ground and said “He looks fine” Talking her down when she insisted that he was ill.

Signature

Posted: 02 March 2011 04:38 PM #3

rattyuk - 02 March 2011 07:31 PM

The lady on CNBC was up to her old tricks again trying to force John Fortt into saying steve was sick. Putting words into his mouth. John fortt held his ground and said “He looks fine” Talking her down when she insisted that he was ill.

I just saw this. It was one of the Brit or Aussie babes (Mandy or Randi?). She tried to ask a leading question even after Fortt commented that Jobs looked as good as he ever has these past couple of years. Fortt’s comeback was “he’s NOT looking sick” (unsaid was “you ditzy blond, haven’t you been listening to wait I just said?”).

Here’s the 2 min. video.

• Posted: 03 March 2011 10:22 AM #4

I think he may have taken leave as CEO to focus on the next disruptive thing he is working with his team. And also his health.
    That’s the role he cherishes more than being the CEO.

It may be more of a wishful thinking on my part but after watching his exuberant energy level and fierce passion at the keynote it is very likely.

It was a perfect delivery from a master showman. The smart cover video is awesome.

• Posted: 03 March 2011 01:15 PM #5

Actually, Steve looks no worse than he did a few months ago. His health seems to have reached a plateau. I?d like to see it go the other way for a while. As a cancer survivor myself, I have to be optimistic for him, and I wish him all the best. His leadership at Apple, and my investments in that leadership have produced financial results that have been life changing for me and my family. We have a child that would not be here without those financial resources. SJ has literally made life possible for some of us.

That said, I thought I detected a bit of “farewell” in the opening remarks.  He recapped some highlights from his career at Apple that made it sound as if he was making an exit speech, detailing some of his major accomplishments.  If that’s how he’s feeling it’s fine with me.  He has to hand off the reins sometime, and I’d rather see it done in a planned and measured way than abruptly.  It’s been a great ride, Steve.  “Thanks for all the fish.”

• Posted: 03 March 2011 01:45 PM #6

Zeke - 03 March 2011 05:15 PM

That said, I thought I detected a bit of “farewell” in the opening remarks.  He recapped some highlights from his career at Apple that made it sound as if he was making an exit speech, detailing some of his major accomplishments.  If that’s how he’s feeling it’s fine with me.  He has to hand off the reins sometime, and I’d rather see it done in a planned and measured way than abruptly.  It’s been a great ride, Steve.  “Thanks for all the fish.”

I agree. It wouldn’t be like Steve to depart without saying good-bye.

Also, the front several rows of seating are occupied by Apple employees and others that are highly trusted by management.  The standing ovation began there as if they were acknowledging Steve’s contribution and saying good-bye themselves.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 03 March 2011 06:16 PM #7

Zeke and Gregg,

I do sense SJ would be relinquishing his CEO soon.  And Tim Cook talks like a CEO during Apple-Bernstein Research meeting.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 03 March 2011 06:50 PM #8

Zeke - 03 March 2011 05:15 PM

Actually, Steve looks no worse than he did a few months ago. His health seems to have reached a plateau. I?d like to see it go the other way for a while. As a cancer survivor myself, I have to be optimistic for him, and I wish him all the best. His leadership at Apple, and my investments in that leadership have produced financial results that have been life changing for me and my family. We have a child that would not be here without those financial resources. SJ has literally made life possible for some of us.

Zeke, I agree with you up to the farewell part.  Life is fragile, SJ is clearly not in the same health place he used to be and I as a shareholder am constantly braced for the possibility that Steve Jobs will not be CEO tomorrow.

But I’ve been following Apple events like this one for years, and I can’t detect anything different in his manner of presentation.  Some of this stuff was filler, really:  iPad 2 is the focus, but there was no point being all “One more thing…” about it since everybody knew as soon as the media invite what was going on.  Nothing new in iOS-land to report yet either - give it a month or so before the iOS 5 preview.  So on the front end, a little retrospective and the epic-feeling iPad video, in the middle, the Smart Covers, and on the back end, some really fun app demos.  That way we get to a little over an hour.

What I think we were seeing at the beginning was Apple really starting to flex its muscles, honestly.  Still fairly humble, but increasingly projecting confidence (the rain of impressive statistics like 200 million iTunes accounts -loved the “more than Amazon” dig, 100 million iPhones, we outsold all Tablet PCs ever, etc.).  “Updates”/smack talk by another name are a common theme of Steve’s to start things off.  The blockbuster products showoff thing is also a fairly common theme lately.  Also, don’t look too much into the standing ovation.  Same thing happened when Steve Jobs returned after his liver transplant.  Apple execs are ALWAYS in the front row applauding for Steve.

Mace - 03 March 2011 10:16 PM

Zeke and Gregg,

I do sense SJ would be relinquishing his CEO soon.  And Tim Cook talks like a CEO during Apple-Bernstein Research meeting.

Don’t entirely agree.  I think this is the new normal for Steve - still around the company, but taking it easier and reducing actual hours at work to preserve his health unless it significantly improves from this point.  Whether this means Steve will now become “Chairman” or “advisor”...I’m thinking not yet, anyway.  Btw, whether SJ remains CEO in title or not, in one way, this is kind of the best way to prepare Apple for a post-Steve-involvement world.  Steve’s kinda like the proud parent watching his company bike off into the sunset with the training wheels off.  He’s still there, but Apple doesn’t really need him any more to succeed.  Apple will be the ultimate test case for whether its DNA and execution won’t materially change once the iconic founder/leader ends active involvement in the company.

[ Edited: 03 March 2011 06:56 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.